The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Saturday is looking good for a sixty miler.
(Ok, 62.1371 miles to be correct)
It certainly is round these here parts so I have a 103 km ride planned. The middle part of the route includes some roads which I have never ridden before (in Saddleworth) and others that I have not ridden for several years. It should be a good lumpy ride - about 2,300 metres of climbing according to my mapping software (which counts every little bump in the road), or about 1,750 metres of proper climbs.

PS I WILL be using my GPS for guidance this time! :okay:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Littgull was going to do the 103 km route with me but he has just got in touch to tell me that he has hurt his back so he will not be riding. Those hills would be a killer for anybody suffering with a bad back! :sad:

Oh well, a few non-CC riders said that they might do the ride so I might still have some company.

It wouldn't be too bad doing it solo - it is the cold, wet and windy rides that I struggle to motivate myself for!

Osprey

Guru
Just completed my March metric century challenge and Strava Gran Fondo. Nice sunshine coinciding with my day off work but unfortunately a 17mph North Easterly wind which was pretty much a head wind all the way out. Return leg was great though. I was hoping todays ride was going to push the boundaries and exceed 80 miles which was to be my biggest ride yet but the wind put pay to that so it ended up a shorter route of 67 miles. Oh well, theres allways next month to try more miles.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'm still doing a metric century ride tomorrow but my riding partners don't fancy the hillfest that I had planned so I said that I will do a rerun of my previous metric century to Chipping. I will keep my hilly Saddleworth ride until Littgull is over his back problems and ready to do it with me.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I did my 100 km ride to Chipping and back today today with my pal Bill.

Including 2 short stops at Spring Wood picnic centre and a longer one at Chipping, we did the 100 km in 5 hrs 45 mins. I was happy with that given that we had a headwind on the way back and there was about 1,400 m of climbing.

I think I spotted @Oldfentiger near Read on the return leg? I was feeling a bit tired so it didn't occur to me who the other rider was until I was about 50 metres further on, otherwise I would have said hello!

My fitness is definitely improving. Bill commented on how much quicker I was than on our last longish ride together but I need to lose about 10 kgs to stand a chance of keeping up with him on the harder climbs.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
I did my 100 km ride to Chipping and back today today with my pal Bill.

Including 2 short stops at Spring Wood picnic centre and a longer one at Chipping, we did the 100 km in 5 hrs 45 mins. I was happy with that given that we had a headwind on the way back and there was about 1,400 m of climbing.

I think I spotted @Oldfentiger near Read on the return leg? I was feeling a bit tired so it didn't occur to me who the other rider was until I was about 50 metres further on, otherwise I would have said hello!

My fitness is definitely improving. Bill commented on how much quicker I was than on our last longish ride together but I need to lose about 10 kgs to stand a chance of keeping up with him on the harder climbs.
It was indeed me, with the Missis about 50 yards behind.
By the time I'd realised it was you we had passed. I did say hello though, as I do to every passing cyclist, cos I'm a sociable git.
We'd been up to Crown point and back.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

It was indeed me, with the Missis about 50 yards behind.
By the time I'd realised it was you we had passed. I did say hello though, as I do to every passing cyclist, cos I'm a sociable git.
We'd been up to Crown point and back.
Hiya, Phil! :hello::okay:

Checking out the Singing Ringing Tree?

I said hello to lots of cyclists today but I was starting to flag a little by the time we passed so the automatic greeting was a bit too slow to come to my lips ... :whistle:

Oldfentiger

Veteran
Hiya, Phil! :hello::okay:

Checking out the Singing Ringing Tree?

I said hello to lots of cyclists today but I was starting to flag a little by the time we passed so the automatic greeting was a bit too slow to come to my lips ... :whistle:

It wasn't singing or ringing today due to lack of wind. How did you conjure up a headwind?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
March done. Late start due to clocks going funny. (Why the hell do they do that? The only possible purpose is to confuse people). I hit the hills, going up Toys first from the North, then nipping down to Ashdown Forest and Kidd's Hill, then Toy's again from the South and Hogtrough, I may not be as amply supplied with hills as some of the Northern CCers, but I still managed to clock up 1700m of climb.

It's spring!
upload_2017-3-26_17-3-31.png

Nice to see lots more cyclists out and about not just the hardcore roadies.

Last edited:
Top Bottom