The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
My 100km ride today was in memory of my uncle, Alan Boden, who died today, he was my Dad's brother and he inspired my cycling exploits as a young man.

He rode in many races, including the old Milk Race (Tour of Britain) and won many veteran age group races as he got older.

He achieved third place in the 1968 National Championship 100 mile TT.

See below: Alan Boden, 100 mile: Time 03:55:45
alan-20boden-203rd-20in-201968-20national-20100-20-20highlight_zpsgpehddfw-png.png

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Not a great deal of opportunity to get out later in the month, so today was the day for Octobers ride. I wanted something different, so a variation on the route I did with Hounslow & District Wheelers on the one and only club ride I've managed to get to back in May.
Not very often I dislike riding, but after 15 miles or so today I'd had enough:sad: Figured pacing on a bit would maybe get my mojo back, but the hills seemed really tough and endless, the Garmin was giving directions 10 seconds after I'd gone past the road it wanted me to go down so it earned a few new names today, none of which are suitable for here.
Back home on 101 km, so done at least. Hopefully next month with be better.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I should have got my '100' in last weekend on the Season of Mists audax but it is a brutally hilly route (over 2,500 metres of ascent, including LOTS of steep stuff) and I was just getting over a heavy cold so I decided to be sensible and give it a miss.

I am toying with two possibilities now - (1) Doing the route solo and seeing if I can get round in under 6 hours. I have got close to it in the past but am older and heavier now so maybe that would be difficult. (2) Playing with the route and riding much of it in the opposite direction for a change. That would do away with some tough climbs but would introduce some others.

I don't want to leave it too late in the month but the next week or so is looking horribly windy!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

8km to the pub and 9km back. First time back on the bike. Keen to avoid jarring potholes. 10 days to go. Have plotted flat 101km route!
Separately, hope the wind gives you all/both a window of opportunity, 'up north'.
Well done, and good luck with the flat ride!

I got up early to do my ride today but took one look at the weather and went back to bed ... :whistle: Monday is currently looking like my best shot. I am booked up on the 26th, 27th and 28th October so I will be cutting it fine if I don't get the ride done by the 25th (Wednesday).

October done, first long ride in a month. Came down with labyrinthitis and that rather scuppered any attempt at riding for a few weeks (or walking, or sitting upright for that matter). Funny enough I'd say I feel less dizzy riding than I do walking at the moment, probably something to do with head position. Much thanks to Steve for accompanying me on the first long ride, I wouldn't have wanted to ride solo on it.

Ride itself was pretty windy (and wet at times) but otherwise lovely. :-)

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I just realised that I had neglected to write a report for a ride this month despite posing the numbers up. I was stuck on Zwift this weekend as I was on kid duty, so my report will have to be from last weekend. As usual it was Sunday, a much later start than usual, as for once my insomnia did not wake me at 5am, still had to use lights though. The weather was unseasonably warm, although incredibly windy with added unforecasted rain. Luckily I have Gabba and Perfetto jerseys in my arsenal, so I stayed pretty dry. I usually head directly into the wind where possible for the first part of a ride and today was no exception. Although with the 20mph winds it was certainly hard work for the first 25 miles. I was pleased to see that I did not give up that much speed averaging 17.5mph, but I think I might have put in a bit too much effort as the ride total was 18.3mph so I did not make that much use of the wind on my back on the way home. A lot of the route was new today, even the bits I usually ride in the other direction seemed new.

Towards the end of the ride I went past a cyclist at the top of a hill standing by the side of the road. I shouted out my customary 'do you need anything' expecting him to say no, but actually yes he did need help. He had managed to pop a pin out on his chain - it was still just about in place, but the plate was bent and there was no way he was continuing. Luckily I had a chain tool on my multi-tool (a birthday present to myself just a week earlier). He had a quick link, but we thought it might be quicker to drive the pin back in. A couple of minutes later and it was all done, although I think he will be buying a new chain just in case as this one had already covered about 3k miles. To be honest, I was glad of the rest.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I still haven't got my ride in for October. I had planned to do it today but it is another damp and blustery day here, which put me off. It is supposed to be the same tomorrow and I am booked up Thursday, Friday and Saturday so that leaves me this Wednesday or Sunday, next Monday or next Tuesday. I don't want to leave it until the last few days in case the weather turns really nasty so I will do my very best to get out on Wednesday to do it.

I am toying with doing 3 times round my 33-and-a-bit km Cragg Vale loop. It would be a bit boring but I want to see if I can cope with that boredom so I can keep that option in reserve for future months when I might not fancy venturing further afield.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

@ColinJ fingers crossed for the weather for you
There is supposed to be a stiff south-westerly wind on Wednesday. My cunning plan is an anticlockwise loop that should grant me a nice tailwind on the tough climb, then an easy 9 km descent. The connecting valley roads shouldn't be too difficult.

The forecast ...
Tod weather Wed.png

The climb is shown by the broad purple line ...
Littleborough Blackstone Edge climb profile.png

The road, looking SW from the summit at Blackstone Edge ...
Hollingworth Lake and Littleborough from Blackstone Edge.jpg

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Good luck with that, I hope weather forecast holds true. I just did 75km yesterday, south to seaside at Weston s Mare then blown home. Two weeks of hard coughing has put paid to much energetic riding so glad mine's done for October although I try and aim for two, yesterday I didn't have the motivation to add a local loop at the end, even though it was a dry day.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Playing catch up here, so the runners and riders who have completed up to and including October, based on rides posted in the challenge thread...

@cosmicbike
@Sea of vapours
@Dogtrousers
@Donger
@Milkfloat
@Lilliburlero
@Rickshaw Phil
@Osprey
@GuyBoden
@Goonerobes
@Sbudge
@StuartG
@13 rider
@Cranky Knee Girl

@steverob is contiuing to post working on the rolling year. Hopefully @Ajax Bay is recovering well and will come back for 2018.

Now it may be my eyesight, but it seems I can't find October rides for @ColinJ and @tallliman again.....

EDIT:- Just seen @ColinJ post above.

Only 2 months to go folks, well done to all of you for sticking at it.

Top Bottom