The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I make it clear that I shall try to complete 100km in the next 8 days, if it is sensible. Planned route is: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26302895
Extensive use of estuary trail and somewhere to stop every 20km.
It'd be even flatter if you turned round and retraced at the 50k point. Although I'm sure you've considered that. It would involve going through Starcross four times, which could get a bit samey.
Best of luck.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well, I did my triple-Cragg Vale loop and I won't be doing that again in a hurry! There used to be a morning rush hour, then the afternoon school run, then the evening rush hour. It felt like there was a rush 5-hour today!

This was the route that I had proposed in an earlier post, planned to take advantage of the stiff SW wind to help me up the climb the A58 from Littleborough to Blackstone Edge ...

littleborough-blackstone-edge-climb-profile-png.png

That worked. What I hadn't really thought of was that the same wind would get funnelled down the A6033 valley road to Todmorden and then the A646 to Hebden Bridge and Mytholmroyd. I had a tiring headwind to contend with for 18 kms in exchange for 4 kms of help up the hill - not a great exchange really!

There were several sets of temporary traffic lights creating extra congestion.

I had to put up with 5 or 6 really stupid overtakes too.

I was surprised to find that the ride had 1,200 m of climbing in total. It is less than most metric centuries round here but enough to be tiring with that wind to contend with down in the valleys.

I think I will do something more interesting for the last couple of metric centuries of this year!

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Right, just 2 months to go in the 50k/mile a month challenge. reckon I'll step up to the 100k for next year. Still gotta get the last two months of 2017 though.

steverob

Guru
Woo Hoo! Three 100km rides in one month - only done that once before and that was back in May 2015. Admittedly today's effort was in two bits, split by a short train journey; partially to take advantage of a tailwind, partially because it was an area I'd wanted to cycle in for a while and riding there AND back would have put me nearer 150km.

Got caught out at one point when a few of the roads I'd planned to go down had big signs saying "Private Road - No Entry" all over them and so had to quickly work out a detour. This was quite tough to do on the fly, because most of the logical routes from there would end up with me on the A5 dual carriageway, which wasn't something I was willing to try. Now I've got back home, I've consulted Google Maps and OpenStreetMap and none of these roads look massively different to the regular roads in the area - no markings or anything, so I don't know whether this really was private land, or just someone fed up of cars cutting through and putting up a few signs on the off chance of putting people off.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Got caught out at one point when a few of the roads I'd planned to go down had big signs saying "Private Road - No Entry"
The junction you turned round at cannot be Google Streetviewed so very likely that's just what it is - a private road. The signs at both ends (ie including the other end at Wakefield Farm Shop) say just that (so assume the signs have been up there a while). The lane (Kennels Lane) goes across the Wakefield Lawn Estate and has no 'right of way' marking on the map. Personally I would have just gone for it, but there's always a chance of dogs, eponymously housed.

steverob

Guru
To be honest, I normally do Streetview large chunks of my route in advance, though that's mainly because I'm on the lookout for "roads" that are actually more like single track ploughed fields that I can't get my road bike down rather than for private roads, but for some reason I didn't for that bit of yesterday's ride. Don't know why, but lesson learned I suppose!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The junction you turned round at cannot be Google Streetviewed so very likely that's just what it is - a private road. The signs at both ends (ie including the other end at Wakefield Farm Shop) say just that (so assume the signs have been up there a while). The lane (Kennels Lane) goes across the Wakefield Lawn Estate and has no 'right of way' marking on the map. Personally I would have just gone for it, but there's always a chance of dogs, eponymously housed.
I was trying to plot a new route once and on Streetview I saw a sign on one lane - Private Road. I actually think that it was the name of the public road! If so, then the person who gave it the name has a sense of humour ... :laugh:

I'll see if I can track it down and check.

Top Bottom