The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
I've got my ride post down to one line and yes, I agree, it looks a lot neater and quicker to read.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I wonder whether next year we should adopt the ICaM method where each rider has one post and edits it to add rides? Might make things easier to understand and instructions easier to follow.
I vote NO to that because it means that we have to go looking for updates rather them just popping up as and when they occur. I am not going to scour threads to see if anything has changed. I rely on 'New Posts' to keep up with what is happening on CC and edited posts do not appear in there.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Doing concurrent multiple challenges with multiple different sets of rules plus a healthy disregard for pointless rules is not a good mix for me.

In some ways there are not enough rules - for example which order you post your rides in @Ajax Bay seems to be unique with his most recent ride at top of the post, but then I think - sod this just ride your bike and log it how you like, nobody really cares.

GuyBoden

Guru
Is Zarathustra best with an alloy nipple?
It's optional, but, steel nipples will corrode and alloy nipples will round off more easily, as usual, life is full of compromises. ^_^

Rest assured, I will endeavour to take the formatting of my posts more seriously in future. :okay:

Last edited:

GuyBoden

Guru
I had a nice ride to Gawsworth via Redesmere today, it was still a bit breezy. The A535 road at Chelford was blocked near "Jodrell Bank" and a tree was down near "Catch Penny pool". Had a nice chat to a fellow vintage bike enthusiast most of the way home, who was riding a fantastic Mercian bike, a new bike in the old style.

Gawsworth%20June%207th%202017_zpsnwiz6b5i.png

Redesmere%20June%207th%202017_zpskotavbkm.png

GuyBoden

Guru
Another reasonably sunny day here in Cheshire, so I rode out to Giant's Wood, it's the easiest 100km ride from my house, very flat, but there's no easy cycling when you're 16 stone.

If anyone is riding in the area, there was road resurfacing on the A535 at Tremlow Green and Giant's Wood lane is closed on the 14th June for three days.
Giantswood%20Lane%20Road%20Close_zpsbmdbolf9.png

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Have just enjoyed a hundred k in the Devon sunshine. Stopped to chat with a guy rebuilding a cob wall - he was using the large chunk that had fallen out, possibly 100 years old (the chunk that is). Repaired (as in replaced tube) my first flat in 3 months and then stopped again to solve an irritating rattle. The bridge of my rear mudguard had failed (fatique; more than 15Mm) so a thin ziptie secured it for the last hour's riding. I carry a spare bridge but reckoned the ziptie would be quicker. I have a new set of mudguards to go on - will have to get on and fit them, now.

more than 15Mm
How much is 15Mm then? Fifteen mega-metres, meaning 15,000 km?

I carry a spare bridge
Why, given the fact that...
ziptie would be quicker
... which seems invariably true I'd have thought?!

Lovely light and sunshine in Yorkshire and Lancashire too, though not as warm as might be considered reasonable when approaching mid June. Nice to have no tubes to puncture and no mudguards to decay on a sunny day though.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Another reasonably sunny day here in Cheshire, so I rode out to Giant's Wood, it's the easiest 100km ride from my house, very flat, but there's no easy cycling when you're 16 stone.

If anyone is riding in the area, there was road resurfacing on the A535 at Tremlow Green and Giant's Wood lane is closed on the 14th June for three days.
View attachment 356346
There were so many signs like that when we were out there last Saturday - it would be tricky keeping up with all of them and planning routes which avoided both the roadworks AND the busy A-roads!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
June done. A very hot 200k around Kent. First to Gravesend, where I picked up the Fridays Whitstable route to Faversham (via a navigational error introducing a pointless big hill in Gravesend). Then up over the Kent Downs. I saw lots of cyclists descending towards Faversham as I trundled upward. Must have been a significant event. Maybe @smutchin knows what it was. Then Lenham, where I stopped and bought loads of water and orange juice and other liquids. Then flatlands via Headcorn, to Hildenborough where I popped into Kelly Holmes' cafe for a coffee (and ridiculous volumes of cold drinks), she didn't come and say hello to me, tut!. Then a slow grind over the Greensand ridge at Chartwell, and a painfully slow crawl up Clarks Lane over the Downs. (Edit: Strava informs me that I got loads of PRs on the zillion segments there are on Clarks Lane. Still painful and slow, but not as slow as usual)

Rehydrating at Lenham
upload_2017-6-18_21-28-57.png

Edit: And I've finally found a saddle that doesn't leave me feeling like Goldfinger has been lasering me in half after 200k. It's a Selle Italia Trk. Quite padded and squishy, and extremely comfortable. Which is one in the eye for the "padded saddles will give you friction sores" meme. I think the main reason it's comfortable is that it's actually big enough for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom