The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Oh good, foreign rides allowed cos I was counting them anyway. Just had two weeks in France, not just cycling, rode alternate days, weather not great, cold northerly winds but did manage to ride on dry days. In fact it's gorgeous now we're home! Got my 100km in on a ride round Cote Sauvage on Sat 13th, but also did a lap of Ile de Ré 98.5km on Mon 15th and a loop down Cognac way of 90km on Weds 17th. First two with three course table d'hote and a glass or two of wine half way round! Cote Sauvage was in long sleeves, it was glorious here apparently.

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Bit late in, but the May challenge ride completed today in fantastic weather. Nice to have some company too, todays ride completed with a workmate who likes a similar pace.

Actual, no argument, lovely weather today. Worthy of recording that I thought. It was a tad windy but my route largely took advantage of that with the into-wind bits being predominantly also downhill.

Plus, I encountered only 19 moving cars and about six assorted agricultural vehicles in the entire 105km. It's not usually a large number but that is noteworthily low ^_^

Ajax Bay

Guru
To log a ride, add a post containing all of your 2017 metric centuries to date. One ride per line, with the date, distance, short route description, and any links you want to add. Do not post just a link.
When you add a post, copy all of the rides from your previous post so that your latest post contains all of your rides.
It is great to see so many riders accepting this challenge and the number who are riding more than just one per month. I am genuinely interested in where people are riding and look for interesting route choices and implicit recommendations for 'good' roads. However.
At the risk of not just being recognised but also 'called out' (is that the modern vernacular) as a grumpy old man, I'm going to make a point that I have been restraining myself from making for a few months, so here goes.
The imperial century people (of whom I am one this year - not double counting) invite participants to record (only) their 'first' century of the month by editing their original (ie January) post. In the metric century crew we invite participants to record each 100km+ ride as a new post, pasting their previous post in. This creates more posts, which is fine.
But this thread later in the year ie from April onwards, risks becoming less attractive if "the Rules" are not followed. Specifically the 'rule' being wantonly and (imo) lazily broken is the specification "one ride per line". If people don't adhere to this, the posts become long and unwieldy, which impacts on the thread and its readers (ie you (all) and me). The 'more than 2 line' merchants know who they are and substantial 'adaption' would be required. (note I am not naming them - if the hat fits; etc). But with very little effort the following posters could get each of their rides down to one line (and see the ways of doing this listed below): @Donger @Osprey @13 rider - and join the good practice brigade (qv).
On the plus side have a look at my, @Sea of vapours, @Sbudge, @StuartG or @Goonerobes posts for examples of good practice.
I offer the following suggestions to those who have difficulty:
1) Avoid blank lines.
2) Embed links (eg Stava, RwGPS) in the distance as opposed to as a 'stand-alone' paste. You do this as follows: block the distance (eg 107km) and click the 'link' icon (seventh along in tool bar immediately above), swap windows to your route recording and copy the link, revert to CC - the pop-up window you've left there - and then paste in the hyperlink.
3) This is the Metric Century challenge - no "miles". 3 characters more than 'km'; 4 if you count the space.
4) Itinerary ie list of places passed through. Precis this list to the essential places. If I (and others) can do so, so can you. From (in my case) RwGPS, I paste the list into the draft post and then cut till I can get it all on one line (accept I did not manage this for the 600). If people want to look (in detail) where you went they'll click the link.
In the spirit of many more 'hundreds', please don't let this suggestion deter any 'challenger' from posting the rides of which they can be justly proud, using as many lines as they think others will appreciate.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Apologies @Donger if this is my 'width of screen' issue, then. Your fellow travellers (ie as listed) might all be fine and, hopefully, it's only those not named that definitely aren't all on one line; not even on your screen.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I base mine on the imperial century entry format, which includes ride time, elevation, maximum speed. I do try to limit it to 2 lines per ride.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I base mine on the imperial century entry format, which includes ride time, elevation, maximum speed. I do try to limit it to 2 lines per ride.
I don't put any time or elevation or speed info on mine,either here or the ICaM thead. No one has ever complained.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Nearly half way, guys. (@Ajax Bay is already there). How time flies. I can't believe I've done 31 of them in the last 29 months. Still takes me outside my comfort zone nearly every time, but a few years ago it would have seemed an impossible task. Now it's an absolute pleasure, and becoming a compulsion.

Nice to see some people really mixing the rides around and throwing in the odd overseas ride too. I try not to be too samey by throwing in 5 or 6 audaxes a year as well as rides from home, but I can't see when I'm ever going to get the chance to do an overseas one. Keep it up, everyone!

It is great to see so many riders accepting this challenge and the number who are riding more than just one per month. I am genuinely interested in where people are riding and look for interesting route choices and implicit recommendations for 'good' roads. However.
At the risk of not just being recognised but also 'called out' (is that the modern vernacular) as a grumpy old man, I'm going to make a point that I have been restraining myself from making for a few months, so here goes. <Precis> Blah blah blah </Precis>
Many thanks for reminding the errant amongst us of the rules. Trusting the edit of my most recent post meets with your approval? Good luck with the restraint ;-))

13 rider

Guru
Went out today to gets June's ride in didn't plan a route just had a rough idea where I was going and it should be enough distance . Got to cafe stop at 45 miles and thought it will be tight but should be ok .Added a couple of loops in before home rolled in with 61.3 miles in . Coffee on feet up and then I realised 61.3 :eek::cursing: I got the .3 right but a mile short :headshake:so after a quick coffee it's back on the bike to the next village and back and 3 more miles . Please forgive my miscalulation

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I wasn't immediately happy about the reminder about 'the rules' but slept on it and came to the conclusion that they do make sense! :okay:

I have just posted my latest update in the simplified format that I will use in future. I used to copy and paste stuff from elsewhere into the Challenge updates so it is actually easier for me not to bother. If anybody really wants more details about my rides, I've made them pretty easy to find. If nobody is really interested then it wasn't worth posting them anyway! :laugh:

PS I am not going to trawl through my old posts and reformat them! If MCL ever stops running then I will choose another place to log my rides.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
I wasn't immediately happy about the reminder
Colin: I tried to sprinkle my suggestions with caveats and general positiveness
Trusting the edit of my most recent post meets with your approval?
Well you don't need anyone's 'approval' (and a complete 'fail' on the restraint). However, the idea is that each new post has a record of all those 100s (or multiples thereof) done since the rider starts the 2017 challenge or their annual challenge, whichever is earlier. You have just posted your latest ride. Have a look at others' posts.
We challengers are a broad church with many motives so please take my suggestions in the constructive and rational spirit that I made them.
Just back from 103km today (and 208km yesterday).

Last edited:
Top Bottom