The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
After a bit of info and ask here first ? @Sea of vapours
There is a road/track which descends off Tan Hill ENE towards Bowes - it's called the Sleightholme Moor Road (marked as NCN70 and about 4km) and goes down to the eponymous farm, where the OS map shows the road as 'yellow' again. Using Streetview where it leaves the tarmaced road at 928075 I can see it's a bit gravelly but suspect it'll be OK on 28s, downhill. Do you know what the surface is like? I can see a few puddles at the farm end (Streetview) but nothing that would put me off on road tyres (28s). (Would be at the 300km point of the Mille Pennines).

I'm afraid I've never been down it. I've been through precisely the same process as you have, plus I've looked at it from the Tan Hill end and not liked the look of the thing very much. I'm pretty cautious about tracks though, so really not the best person to pass opinion unfortunately. It's certainly a very good shortcut indeed, though going over The Stang isn't going to take an awful lot longer and that's what I've always done.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
After not jogging for a while I stupidly thought on Friday I should go for a run, since then I have been in agony. So I cleverly thought getting an early metric ton would be a good idea this morning. It was was not one of my better ideas, my legs still hurt and I am about to go to tennis, have a quick shower and then jump on a plane with bugger all legroom to go to India.

Anyway, the ride was lovely (ex. pain), fairly uneventful except the your bus that tried to kill me by Anne Hathaway's cottage near Stratford upon Avon. I did see @dave r just down the road past Stanford Armouries, so Dave, if you were wondering who shouted out your name, it was me :hello:

I made it back for my 11am curfew so that was a bonus.

D

Deleted member 1258

After not jogging for a while I stupidly thought on Friday I should go for a run, since then I have been in agony. So I cleverly thought getting an early metric ton would be a good idea this morning. It was was not one of my better ideas, my legs still hurt and I am about to go to tennis, have a quick shower and then jump on a plane with bugger all legroom to go to India.

Anyway, the ride was lovely (ex. pain), fairly uneventful except the your bus that tried to kill me by Anne Hathaway's cottage near Stratford upon Avon. I did see @dave r just down the road past Stanford Armouries, so Dave, if you were wondering who shouted out your name, it was me :hello:

I made it back for my 11am curfew so that was a bonus.

I wondered who it was, at the time I thought it might be one of the club lads who'd turned back, I was passed by them in Snitterfield. I was on my way to Long Marston, The Barn Antiques, I've just got back having ridden 65 miles. Enjoy your trip to India.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I seem to have lost track of who's still in this challenge, has anyone dropped out since May? Perhaps all having a single post which gets edited after each ride would make life easier....
Going to have to hunt down my list of people still in post.

13 rider

Guru
@cosmicbike I use a simple tick list to keep track of the 50km challenge . As soon as a rider posts a ride for that month tick them off works fine as long nobody just edits an existing post so you don't get an alert .
I'm still in done May and June

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I wondered who it was, at the time I thought it might be one of the club lads who'd turned back, I was passed by them in Snitterfield. I was on my way to Long Marston, The Barn Antiques, I've just got back having ridden 65 miles. Enjoy your trip to India.

You were not too far behind the Kenilworth boys, you could have caught them for a draft. Just after I left you I took a wrong turn onto the A46. A mile or so of TT could get off.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
@cosmicbike I use a simple tick list to keep track of the 50km challenge . As soon as a rider posts a ride for that month tick them off works fine as long nobody just edits an existing post so you don't get an alert .
I'm still in done May and June
No way I'm that organised! I was just scanning through rides posted, suppose a bit of paper will help:okay:

D

Deleted member 1258

You were not too far behind the Kenilworth boys, you could have caught them for a draft. Just after I left you I took a wrong turn onto the A46. A mile or so of TT could get off.

I caught them when I crossed the main road, the'd pulled over and were having a chat.

Ajax Bay

Guru
My July 100km starts at 1000 tomorrow (Friday) and, legs, body etc willing finishes 1007km completed on Monday lunchtime. Weather much better (as forecast) than last year. Full moon and Friday and Saturday nights are forecast pretty clear. Friday night is cold: 5 degrees at Hawes at 0400 Saturday early so I wonder what it'll be like at the top of Buttertubs at 5?
Mille Pennines
1000km cycling audax
Start: Blackpool (Bispham), Lancashire. Controls at Arnside (59), Whinlatter Pass (130), Seascale (175), Sedbergh (251), Hawes (276), Stanhope (347), Kielder (435), Langholm (475) , Penrith (537), Sedburgh (585), Yarm (681), Robin Hood's Bay (743), Ripon (841), Sedburgh (924) with finish at Bispham (1002).
Fri 7 Jul: Bispham (round Lake District) > Sedburgh 251 km (sunset 2144, moonrise 2008)
Sat 8 Jul: Sedbergh - Sedburgh 334 km (northern Pennines/southern Scotland/A6 to Shap) (sunrise 0446, sunset 2150, moonrise 2101)
Sun 9 Jul: Sedbergh - Sedburgh 339 km (North York Moors) (sunrise 0448, sunset 2133, moonrise 2129 (full!), sunrise (Ripon!) 0444, moonset 0609)
Mon 10 Jul: Sedbergh - Bispham 77 km (Eden Valley/Fylde)

Top Bottom