The Mickle Method - a thank you

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
To anyone that doesn't know what I'm referring to - http://www.cyclorama.net/viewArticle.php?id=349&subjectId=9

It's a method to keep your chain clean and remove the need for constant degreasing sessions, and improve chain life. The creator is our very own Mickle.

I just wanted to post to say thank you. I had been resistant to starting the Mickle Method, as I admit (to my shame) to reading it and thinking it sounded like a lot of effort, and regular degreasing cleans would be less work. I was an idiot. I've been using the Method on my most recent chain, and can't believe how clean the chain and cassette still are, with plenty of miles in, including wet horrible commuting miles at that. It's a LOT less effort than old style cleaning!

So, I strongly recommend everyone to give it a try, and say again to Mickle - thanks!

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Im incredibly lazy with maintenance, but its reminded me mine badly needs a clean and sounds horrible after cycling on fine sand in the rain at the weekend. I think ive only cleaned/oiled my chain about 4-5 times in 2000 miles too.

I think ill go and do it right now, although i guess the chain might need replacing soon anyway. :smile:

Fubar

Guru
And thanks from me too - reminds you what good advice there is to be had on here. Also recommend the cyclorama website and if your a Facebook-er you can "like" them on there too!

david1701

How do you guys clean your cassettes?

I actually took degreaser and rags too mine this afternoon mid disastrous service and now it's pretty clean again (though I think the bike is unrideable....)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

I actually took degreaser and rags too mine this afternoon mid disastrous service and now it's pretty clean again (though I think the bike is unrideable....)

Oily rag - run in between sprockets to clean. Quick squirt of WD if really mucky. You too can have a cassette like this !

DSCF2695.jpg

dodgy

Hang on a minute, Mickle is a nice guy and all that, but he didn't 'create' the technique of wiping a chain. I've been doing that for almost 30 years and I bet lots of other people have been too!

I've been extolling the virtues of this technique to many, some prefer to remain ignorant and use all kinds of useless, messy chain cleaning contraptions. I don't know anyone that's started using the wipe with a rag technique (ok - 'the mickle method ;) ) who has gone back to their old ways.

Congrats to mickle for popularising it with a catchy name ;)

dodgy

2 ways I use depending on where I am.

IF at home, then take the wheel off, stand over it and scrub with an old kitchen dish brush, the bristles should easily get to all the gaps in the sprockets, add some Fenwicks FS1 (or whatever you prefer) to get it as shiny as fossyant's example. If you scrub in the right direction, the cassette will rotate to a 'new' area of dirty sprockets with each scrub until the cassette has rotated 2 or 3 times.

If not at home, I wrap a credit card with part of an old rag (T Shirt material is just the right thickness) and run it between the cassette sprockets.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
2 ways I use depending on where I am.

IF at home, then take the wheel off, stand over it and scrub with an old kitchen dish brush, the bristles should easily get to all the gaps in the sprockets, add some Fenwicks FS1 (or whatever you prefer) to get it as shiny as fossyant's example. If you scrub in the right direction, the cassette will rotate to a 'new' area of dirty sprockets with each scrub until the cassette has rotated 2 or 3 times.

If not at home, I wrap a credit card with part of an old rag (T Shirt material is just the right thickness) and run it between the cassette sprockets.

i use a baby wipe (or 5) to clean the cassette out, using the freewheel to help with the cleaning, my FIL's has so much muck in it that you cant really tell there each cog ends!! i'll fix it all up when i have my workshop!

im doing a major clean and lube over the weekend! the mickle method is great

dodgy

I'm glad baby wipes have been mentioned, that is a tip I picked up from either here or Bikeradar, can't remember which. They are amazing, great for taking away on trips. I converted all the members on our trip to Lanzarote to using them in February, funny seeing all these lads coming out of the local Spar with bags of baby wipes :laugh:

Top Bottom