The Mike Ashley Sponsored Ragley / Nukeproof Mech Hanger Misery Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
In a nutshell it's my understanding that the well-known and well-regarded MTB brand Nukeproof, as well as their somewhat less-well-known-but-equally-well-regarded sibling Ragley are owned by the same struggling e-commerce group that until recently owned Chain Reaction Cycles and Wiggle.

It seems that disaster capitalist and all-round opportunistic scumbag Mike Ashley (of Sports Direct, Evans, House of Fraiser infamy) has bought the rights to the Wiggle and CRC brands. I'm not sure if this includes the two bike brands above; regardless, at best their ongoing existance appears to hang in the balance.

Having caught my eye in the past, I couldn't resist taking a punt on the Ragley Big Wig hardtail when CRC slashed their price in their fire sale at the back end of last year. Looking at the worst-case scenario that Ragley are defunkt, the biggest worry is arguably availabilty the mech / RD hanger - since, frame aside this is the only propriatory part on the bike.

Today I fired emails to all of the dealers listed on the Ragley website, requesting price and availbilty on said mech hanger. The short story is that the surprisingly significant number responded came back with a hard nope; however the longer story is more nuanced and potentially positive..

Firstly I was surprised that many responded within minuites of my message's ejection into the ether. Perhaps a sad reflection of the desperation of the industry, but those who replied were upbeat and very helpful.

While all sadly confirmed both a lack of stock and ability to source any more, a few went out of their way to volunteer valuable information that might help - honourable mentions below:

Paul from Team wet rock n'ride was super helpful in informing me that apparently aftermarket brand BETD are now offering a compatable hanger for the Ragley MTB range. At £33 it's a fair wedge more than the £20 of the original, but seems well made and the premium's a minimal concern if you've snapped your existing hanger and the bike's a write-off without a replacement.

Matt at Stage 1 Cycles also alluded to the BETD hanger, and linked to it on their website.

Matt from Leisure Lakes Daventry suggested that the Ragley MTB hangers are the same as those listed for the Nikeproof Cub Scout; although sadly I can't find any of these listed either. Interestingly I did find them touted on a number of suspiciously similar "retailer" sites that simply redirect to CRC.. which seemed a little shifty.

In addition Nick an Bikeshredz suggested that Wheels Manufacturing might also be knocking up some replacements, however as yet there's nothing relevant on their website.

Ultimately this was a really positive experience - not only did it result in a couple of potential sources for replacement hangers but I had some really positive interactions with some helpful and genuinely sound individuals. One person (Alex from Firetrail) even bothered to respond to let me know that they'd ceased trading; which I though was well above and beyond since most probably wouldn't bother.

On top of all that I'd like to mention fellow CC member @JonBuoy, who posted in the CRC thread to let me know that some enterprising individual on Singletrack is making Ragley mech hangers.

So, good news for Ragley and a few Nukeproof owners; although those with more complex full-sus Nukeproof offerings might still find themselves up sh*t creek with regard to propriatory consumable components... Of the two this brand stands the most chance of being resurrected - however in what form that might be is anyone's guess...

Anyway, I hope the positive fallout of my Saturday afternoon spent bothering retailers might be of use to some; along with the knowledge that all is not yet lost :smile:

Last edited:

Emanresu

As I understand the thread about the "enterprising individual" you refer to, he/she has access to or owns some heavy duty equipment that allows him/her to measure the existing item, convert the measurements to computer code, and then have a CNC machine or similar make them out of "spare metal".

Amazing what people have in their garage to thwart the disaster capitalists.

Last edited:
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

As I understand the thread about the "enterprising individual" you refer to, he/she has access to or owns some heavy duty equipment that allows him/her to measure the existing item, convert the measurements to computer code, and then have a CNC machine or similar make them out of "spare metal".

Amazing what people have in their garage to thwart the disaster capitalists.
Thanks - that would figure since the hanger has pretty much no straight lines and would be a pig to measure or machine on a manual mill. I'd love access to facilities like this for the reason you sugest and others, however barring a small tabletop lathe one day perhaps, that's unlikely to ever happen.

While I do not subscribe to this ‘mountain bike’ madness, I can only admire your efforts to help yourself and others. Well done, that man!
Cheers - I'm not yet convinced either, however hope it will be more appealing in the dry when the bikes' carying a bit more damage protection. Yesterday's ride with all it's close-passes certainly serves as an incentive to get off the roads!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I’m a bit confused, is the hanger broken or bent?

The thread's not about a specific hanger. It's about the availability of a particular type of hanger. @wafter doesn't need one right now, but is concerned that when the time comes that one is needed, it will be unavailable

[bike manufacturer gone bust] the biggest worry is arguably availabilty the mech / RD hanger - since, frame aside this is the only propriatory part on the bike.

Gunk

Guru
The thread's not about a specific hanger. It's about the availability of a particular type of hanger. @wafter doesn't need one right now, but is concerned that when the time comes that one is needed, it will be unavailable

But BETD make one that fits.

Emanresu

It's about the availability of a particular type of hanger. @wafter doesn't need one right now, but is concerned that when the time comes that one is needed, it will be unavailable

Think the issue is a broader one as BETD only have net current assets of £50K. That would hardly pay for the installation of a CNC machine never mind buy one.

There is a movement in the EU to have the right to repair, and access to spares for up to 10 years, albeit for a very specific range of domestic appliances. I think the sentiment is that more people would like to hold onto items rather than having to scrap them due to a small missing/broken part.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Indeed; as I found out after contacting various Ragley dealers as per the OP. Wasn't aware of this beforehand and thought others might be in a similar situation..

Last edited:
Top Bottom