Noob's adventures in MTB land - In association with the 2022 Ragley Big Wig steel hardtail

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I enjoy walking in the countryside and for a while I've liked the idea of an MTB to allow me to traverse such routes that my Genesis CdF can't.

Unfortunately however, it seems that my penchent for steel couldn't be indulged without considerable outlay; so the idea was shelved.

Some time later I found myself browsing the Chain Reaction website at the beginning of their "oh noes, administration" sale and happened across the Big Wig. I'd previously encountered this bike before; placing it firmly in the "nice but nope" category on account of its price; however now it was being touted at 50% off RRP.

On the advice of a mate I filled my basket on the website with this item until it told me I couldn't have any more. I kept checking back, adjusting the amount as stock fell and after a few weeks I threw in an order when there were only three left; and another ton had been knocked off the asking.

The bike was purchased on a 0% credit card to offer some security should anything untoward happen given the uncertain state of the company, and it arrived a little over two weeks later. There it sat in its box for another few days until my flu-riddled corpse felt able to complete the minimal amount of necessary assembly, before sitting idle for another month or two through apathy / crap weather / fear of getting it mucky before I'd applied any protection anywhere.

I'd like to include a special mention to the staff of CRC here - with the odd little exception the bike was very well put together and PDI'd, which I imagine isn't the easiest task to embrace when you know you're job's potentially about to be ejected into space. I've not bought a bike from this group before (and truth be told have tried to avoid them as I don't like the all-consuming corporate model) however it was a positive experience and I particularly appreciated the little welcome pack which even included a pair of tubeless valves and some rudimentary tools to get me going (no Haribo though!).

The Bike

Ragley are an ostensibly British brand although they're owned by the same corporate multinational Sigma Sports United (SSU) as the CRC/Wiggle group; which is probably why they could afford to discount the bike so heavily. The marque are best-known for their "hardcore hardtails" (which apparently are as British as late-nigh-kebab-shop fights and shouting in "English" at foreigners in their own country because "they're too thick to understand").

SSU also own Nukeproof and seem to use these two brands to cover the whole MTB market - Ragley doing the low-mid end with aluminium and steel hardtails, while Nukeproof do the mid-high end with aluminium and placcy hardtails and full-sus offerings. This shared ownership explains why an amount of the parts on Ragley bikes are Nukeproof branded.

The Big Wig is Ragley's steel 29er and embodies the typical conventional approach to MTB geometry of "long and slack"; which the brand were apparently instrumental in introducing. I chose this model over the similar 27.5"-wheeled Blue Pig as it seems that the larger wheels are better over rough terrain if less agile; which should better-suit my plodding cross-country aspirations.

Earlier today I popped out to get some photos of the bike for this thread - unfortunately thanks to the bright sun and limited opportunities they're mostly shite, athough it was a beautiful day to be out. I'll try to get some better photos in time..

While CRC were offing a range of frames (including the 2023 Big Wig which is even longer and slacker) I went for the built 2022 model as it was a ready-made solution, while the less-slack, shorter reach geometry better suits my less-hardcore, more balanced application and T-rex arms.

This came with the added bonus of a fairly (atypical it seems) understated "Moss" colour scheme. This played well to my reserved tastes as a) it seems that I can now only purchase bikes in green, and b) I have a new-found love for the earthy goodness of moss..

12x8_IMG_8675a.jpg

According to Ragley's website the groupset should be a mixture of Shimano Deore XT and SLX; however in practice due to "supply issues" the components are very much mix-and-match. I'm not a huge fan of SRAM and the OCD monster would prefer a matched set of components, however nowt seems inferior to what was originally specced.

Brakes are SRAM DB8 which so far seem responsive, easy to modulate and as powerful as I've come to expect from hydro disks. While a somewhat apples-to-oranges comparison, they certainly give nothing away to the 105 R7000 hydro disks on my Genesis.

12x8_IMG_8687a.jpg

The drivetrain is 1x12 and a mixture of a Raceface 30T narrow-wide chainset and Deore chain, 10-52 (I think) dinnerplate of a cassette and SLX RD.

12x8_IMG_8691a.jpg

Finishing kit and less-headline components are all Ragley or Nukeproof branded, and seem to be decent quality.

12x8_IMG_8697a.jpg

While a fairly understated tone, the paintwork has a good quantity of metal flake that really pops in bright sunshine. Ragley appear to have chosen a very similar font for the Big Wig logo as iconic '90s grunge pioneers Nirvana chose for their branding. The cynic might argue that this was intentional to draw in punters of a certain age; and probably helped soften me up a little to be fair. I like the relatively subtle use of black script on the darkish paintwork..

The frame originates from Taiwan (as most do nowadays) and is simply "4130 Chro-Mo" but is apparently triple-butted so probably a decent spec. The top tube doesn't emit a pleasing ring to announce its hardness as does the heat-treated Reynolds 725 tube on my Genesis; however the attached cabling on the Ragley probably serves to damp this down somewhat.

Upon unpacking I was very pleasantly surprised by both the quality of paint finish and welds on the frame - which both seemed superior to the promo images on the Ragley website.

12x8_IMG_8699a.jpg

All brake and gear cabling / hoses are sensibly externally routed with seemingly few (at least straight-line) rub spots; and attached mostly with sturdy-looking propriatory clips screwed into the frame.

12x8_IMG_8768a.jpg

The saddle is another Ragley-branded item - I suspect sourced from saddle giant Velo, however it's noticeably wider and flatter than the standard form found on most other OEM saddles and the Charge Spoon etc.

Evidently when this bike was built they'd run out of seatposts so apparently butchered a chair in the office for its height-adjustable gas-strut mechanism. This instantaneous collapsing action is actuated by a dummy front-mech shifter on the LH handlebar; seemingly as a means of brutally driving home to those of us new to 1x drivetrains just how much the world now hates front derailleurs / its contempt for their disciples..

12x8_IMG_8704a.jpg

The front shock is a Rock Shox Revelation which seems to get pretty decent reviews; and on RRP is not far off what I paid for the whole bike. The SRAM DB8 brakes are swanky four-pot affairs; gripping 200mm diameter disks on the front. The Nukeproof Neuron rims are retained by a 15mm through-axle:

12x8_IMG_8723a.jpg

At the rear we have the same decent-looking DB8 calipers, 180mm SRAM disks and 12mm "boost" through-axle.

12x8_IMG_8727a.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

During this little photoshoot I was blown away by the unexpectedly beautiful weather, so took the still-pretty-clean bike home, grabbed some more gear and nipped off for a quick trip to the bottle bank and short loop before the sun set..

12x8_IMG_8719a.jpg

12x8_IMG_8738a.jpg

12x8_IMG_8740a.jpg

12x8_IMG_8761a.jpg

The Ride

I wasn't planning on doing a full writeup on this bike this time, however I figured doing so might offer some insight to others who are MTB-curious.

For those who don't know my staple is beardie / hippie slow-paced local touring / utility / commuting.. so this is quite a departure in many ways and the last time I rode an MTB was probably more than two decades ago..

So, here are a hotchpotch selection of observations about the bike, through the lens of someone with absolutely bugger all experience in the field..

Firstly, the bike is absolutely fapping huge. It's a medium and apparently fits me well, however (as is not hidden by the numbers in the specs) everything is large. The 29" / 700c wheels become monstrous when shod with the knobbly 2.4 / 2.5" Maxxis Minion tyres. The immensely slack 65 degree head angle serves to stretch the wheelbase well beyond what you'd expect to find on a road / gravel / touring bike. The 780mm wide bars are pushing double what I'm used too..

All of this serves to make the bike feel somewhat ungainly when manipulating it out of the saddle, and getting it through the already bike-hostile Krypton-factor assault course of the house and garden is not at all fun; requiring the bars to be angled and the front wheel lifted to get it through some doorways..

The bike is no lightweight either at circa 15kg, however this is the price you pay for a steel frame and I consider it a fair tradeoff.

The ride initially feels quite alien if you're used to more road-centric offerings. Despite the relatively long reach, posture is quite upright while the large wheels also serve to position you pretty high up; giving a general feeling is of elevation that allows you to survey your surroundings without craning your neck as you might on a bike with drops.

The steering feels very slow and the front wheel floppy at low speeds thanks to the slack headtube angle, while the wide bars take some getting used to.

On-road the bike doesn't feel cripplingly sluggish, but noticeably slower than a more road-oriented offering and nothing about it goads you to go faster than just moseying along at a sedate pace. The tyres seem to roll pretty well considering their very knobbly nature, however their muted but constant whirr on tarmac acts as a reminder of all the losses you're incurring.

Unsurprisingly once you're out onto less manicured routes (if that's an appropriate term given the state of the roads) the bike comes into its own.

The fat, low pressure rubber and front shocks do an excellent job of smoothing out the bumps, while the tyres inspire incredible confidence over all manner of inhospitable terrain. The slack head angle really smooths out the bike's path and makes it a lot less twitchy / susceptible to tramlining / frantically chasing ruts and depressions.

Even as a hyper-cautious rider I was very quickly comfortable attacking (admittedly slowly) stuff that I'd not go near on the Genesis with its slicks. The aggressive tread on the tyres is keen to climb obstacles rather than deflect or slide off them, and even on really sloppy mud where they might not cut a dead-straight line, the level of slip feels controlled and predictable.

Some may recall my intrinsic dislike of 1x drivetrains and while from a technical standpoint I still have my reservations, I've always appreciated that they're best-suited to MTBs. So far this has been bourne out by my experiences; the significant gaps in ratios presenting no issues given the ever-changing cadence demands of riding off-road, the wide, low-geared range proving fine on my limited rides so far.

In addition I'll admit that when you're having to pay constant attention to the changing terrain ahead, only having one shifter to operate is very welcome.

Moving onto off-road riding in general, and unsurprisingly it's very different to riding on tarmac. Far more effort is required to overcome rough or muddy ground, while demands on the legs are ever changing - from rolling along gently one minute to needing to put in big efforts the next to make it through claggy mud or rough patches of grass. There's certainly no settling into a comfortable cadence for minutes at a time here..

I hope this constantly changing, sometimes high-demand on the legs might provide more rounded exercise in conjunction with my on-road stuff which seems to have settled at moderate exertion at steady cadence.

The Horror..

Personally my biggest issue so far is the bloody mess.. unsurprisingly given the fat, heavily-treaded tyres and the environment they're used in, absolutely everything gets covered in mud.. even at low speed the tyres fling mud all over the frame and rider, while it builds up all over the bottom bracket, seatstays, fork bridge.. This bike has accumulated more mud in five miles of off-road riding than my others have combined over thousands of miles of road / light off-road use.

Of course this is to be expected, however it brings with it the need to clean both the bike and my clothes more frequently, will realistically result in much shorter component life and of course the greater demands on the bike will offend anyone who's particularly precious about the condition of their gear. Sadly the full-coverage mudguards I've come to love on my road bikes seem to not be a thing in this application; somewhat understandably.

It's also worth bearing in mind the practical limitations of MTBs - while they excel off-road, they're crap on-road (while this will also knacker your tyres) so unless you're blessed with some fantastic trails on your doorstep, driving the bike to a location to ride is going to be a more likely proposition... and tbh I'm not sure this bike will even fit in the back of my car.

For now I remain on the fence. The bike itself has grown on me markedly now I've had chance to ride it a little, and it feels a lot less intimidating than its significant size initially suggested.

I've enjoyed getting out on it, but not the resultant mess... however granted I'm riding in the middle of winter and the same routes would likely be a lot more accommodating in drier conditions. I'm very appreciative of the extra dimension this bike brings to my riding, but I'm not sure that the locally available routes will hold my interest, while equally I don't know that I'll be arsed to pile it into the car and drive somewhere else to ride.

I guess time will tell :smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Its really nice Wafter, I'd run it tubeless if I were you as well. Last thing you want is to be fixing a puncture in this weather.

Thanks and yes - I was thinking this earlier.. the mud itself is an affront enough, while the thought of attempting to fix a flat when everything's covered doesn't bear thinking about.

Really the bike remains a work in progress as there are many things that still want looking at - all I've done so far is wax the frame and chain (with different waxes!) and set the tyre pressures. Still to do are:

- Apply protection tape
- Probable tubeless conversion
- Fit a bottle cage
- Fit a mount for my head unit
- Set the sag on the shocks
- Maybe change the pedals

... and probably a few things that currently escape me.. :smile:

Kingfisher101

Über Member
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.DMR-V11-Pedals_232842.htm. I recommend these pedals, they are composite, reasonably priced and your foot has plenty of room for moving about and they grip well.
I tried putting that protection tape on my bike and it looked a dog so I ripped it off and thought well if it gets scratched then I'm not bothered as its a bike and they all get scuffed eventually anyway.
Looks a nice area where that bike is as well.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Great looking bike Wafter, looks like you picked yourself up a right bargain there. I would love a nice steel hard tail myself, but couldn't find a bargain like yours so settled for an aluminium framed one.

As for mudguards, I use mudhugger guards which attach simply and offer a reasonable range of coverage, though to be fair, they protect me much more than the bike! At this time of year, I tend more to just quickly hose the bike down after every ride before sticking it away in the cellar. Here's a picture of the mudhugger guards on my bike:

IMG_20231217_113939477_HDR.jpg

One of the issue's you may come across also is your water bottle getting pretty muddy and horrible, especially around the top. I tend not to use the cage anymore in winter and instead keep it in a feedbag mounted to the handlebar.

With the drivetrain, those cassettes are incredibly hardy things and last for years. That said, do yourself a favour and keep an eye on chain stretch, don't let the chain get too worn out and replace it at about 0.75% wear. That way you'll probably get through about three chains before needing to replace the cassette and thus saving yourself a bucket of money.

Above all else enjoy the muddy side of life!

Nice bike. I understand that many Poms are reticent about money matters but do you mind sharing what it cost you?
Wide handlebars, it should be possible to cut them down at bit, particularly for your intended use.

Nice bike! :smile:

I'm not so stealthy, and my MTB is bright red. :biggrin: I'd fit mudguards if I were you, on the basis that there'll be less muck to clean off yourself at the end of a ride. Riding on mud-slicked fen roads during the sugar beet harvest has taught me that much at least!

if you find the bars too wide, you can always cut them down a bit, although you don't want to do that too much, as you'll lose a certain degree of stability (changes the CoG / polar momentum).

It is a different kind of riding though, and for me, MTB = gravel track bimbler for the most part, but also useful in the winter on icy / muddy roads. You may have to play around with tyre pressures to get that sweet spot between off road performance and not being too "riding through treacle" on tarmac.

roley poley

Über Member
For those who don't know my staple is beardie / hippie slow-paced local touring / utility / commuting..
me too mate and i find the market sparse of options.. .love steel and bought a Genesis day one 20 when they came in steel with a nexus 8 speed hub 2018 model options are few and far between :rolleyes:

I know diddly squat about such bikes but I really enjoyed the descriptive language over my morning coffee. ^_^

For example
Evidently when this bike was built they'd run out of seatposts so apparently butchered a chair in the office for its height-adjustable gas-strut mechanism. This instantaneous collapsing action is actuated by a dummy front-mech shifter on the LH handlebar; seemingly as a means of brutally driving home to those of us new to 1x drivetrains just how much the world now hates front derailleurs / its contempt for their disciples..
Well wear, or whatever the equivalent is for a new bike.

And @chriswoody is right - expect a water bottle to get well mucked up!

Jameshow

Veteran
Nice write up wafter.

Glad yo see your having a good start to 2024!

A new bike always helps!

Pitty about the mixed group set.

Always Cross

Veteran
The only bottle I drink from on the bike has a plastic cover on that covers the drinking spout. I have 1 normal bottle when the covered bottle is empty I tip the other bottle into it.

Last edited:

geocycle

Legendary Member
A lovely write up. I also know nothing about mtb so it was good to have something written from a perspective I could relate to. Some times it’s nice to step back and just have fun on a bike.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Nice descriptive write-up of a nice bike! I almost exclusively ride MTB through the winter and the constant hosing off of the bike (and even oneself if extreme) is a burden. I use mudguards to keep the worst off of me and I have bodged a small guard on the rear of the seat tube to keep crud at bay from the bottom bracket.

I also use the dropper post a lot - mostly for when I am at a standstill so I can rest seated on the bike (since, as you say, it’s a lofty perch). I also ride exclusively with SPDs off-road - I like that my feet are always in the right place on the pedal and stay in place over very rough terrain (for example a fast, bumpy descent).

Tyre pressure is also worth experimenting with. I run tubeless meaning I can run soft with no fear of pinch flats. However I hate the squirmy feel of soft, fat tyres so tend to run harder than most recommend and it suits me. Get some different tyres for the summer too - a faster tyre is a joy over hard-packed, polished trails (I use Continental Cross Kings - not ultimately fast like a Race King but still offers some grip in less dry summer conditions).

Top Bottom