The Mini and MINI thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
A thread for the bleeding obvious really, the original Mini and the later series of BMW reincarnation.

We've a MINI Cooper S Electric in 3 trim, with 3 grands worth or Karmon Hardon (snigger), three-tone roof, de-chrome black pack, aluminium dash trim, etc. Within a few weeks we're adding a 2009 R57 John Cooper Works ragtop to the fleet alingside the electric as Mrs D's summer toy. She's blonde and attractive so will look much better with the roof down than my bald fugliness.

So what Mini/MINI do you have?

Jody

Stubborn git
Had a classic Mini back in the day. Best fun i've had and certainly miss it but would never have another.

figbat

Slippery scientist
My first car was a 1977 Austin Mini 1000 - a right basket-case it was too but it taught me a lot about repair and maintenance.
My next MINI was a 19-reg MINI Cooper S in 5-door hatch guise (F55), with the 7-speed DCT. Solaris Orange with black roof/mirrors and black bonnet stripes. Not subtle and a great drive.
This was replaced by my current MINI Cooper SE Level 2 in British Racing Green. This has been a great intro to EV life and has met our needs well. So well in fact that in a couple of weeks I will replace it with...
MINI Cooper SE Level 2 in Nanuq White with black roof/mirrors.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Which, of the newer MINI's are the ones where the engine goes bang quite often ? My sister had a ONE with some 'extras' but it was rather un-reliable. Colleague had a Cooper, and that had lots of electrical gremlins then the engine went bang. Moved on to a boring car that didn't go pop.

fossyant

PS had quite a few Mini's in our household. My mum had at least two, sister had two from passing her test, a yellow one with wide wheels, and a Mini Rose. My dad then had a late edition metallic blue Mini just as they were finishing production. I remember helping my dad completely rebuild one of the Mini's engines.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I had an A reg Mini Mayfair with brown velour seats and headrests!
Very farking Posh.
the ex wrote it off hitting a small tree swerving to avoid a squirrel - well that her story.

I also "learned to drive" pre getting a provisional licence in my mums old K reg mini. She bought it for £50 or £100 of an ex neighbour who died (well via the garage who'd ended up with it). Mum used it for a while but then after it had failed its MOT it hung around for a while for me tear around the fields in.

Last edited:

fossyant

the ex wrote it off hitting a twig swerving to avoid a squirrel - well that her story.

Fixed that for you !

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
My first car was a 1976 Mini 1100 Clubman in Pageant Blue with a hand painted silver roof and dark blue velour upholstery, cost me £600.
The hand painted roof looked great from half a mile!
I loved the clubman shape as it had the same front end as the 1275GT.
I had a cracking stereo system, Sharp Radio/tape, Goodmans graphic equaliser and speakers, Nick Kershaw & Howard Jones was the flavour of the day, I thought it was the bees knees😂

My daughters first car is a brand new Mini Cooper Convertible, how times change!

CCB20594-4743-4152-8CFC-B397398B06B3.jpeg

88D8CC6B-C867-4F38-820A-74018897BF1B.jpeg

Last edited:
We had a 1275GT back in the day. Changed the seats to Corbeau bucket seats (back when I was able to fit in bucket seats!). A lot of fun.

My daughter had a 30th anniversary special edition mini in maroon as her first car. She reluctantly sold it when she went to uni for the second time, needing a car that was a bit more sensible on the motorway. A local guy bought it and restored it really nicely, but I understand someone subsequently ran into the back of it and I don't know whether it was then scrapped or repaired....

All uphill

Still rolling along
I had an 1098cc mini in about 1981. It was red with a black vinyl roof, drank oil, but was otherwise totally reliable.

Before anyone says there were no 1098cc minis, yes there were in Belgium and the Netherlands.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
We had a mini as a hire car whilst on holiday in Guernsey. Must have been roughly in the late 70's or early 80s.

Worked at Longbridge in the summer of 1992 when they were still making minis there. Probably had a lift around site in one or two during that period.

Friend of mine was in a bad car accident in a mini when he was in his late 20s. Total write off, and he wasn't that far away from being one himself. Recovered, but has one leg shorter than the other. Still likes going on walks, but they tend to be circular ones these days. Luckily he is still on his original hip, but that looked unlikely at one point.

Are we including Riley Elfs in this too?

Top Bottom