The Mini and MINI thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
3 years ago I got the daughter a base 2019 mini countryman with the wee 3cyl engine as her first car. Great visibility for a new driver to learn and pass her test and she love's it (through she wanted a Jeep Wrangler). It gets great mileage (compared to most cars here in the US) and with the large tank it's great for road trips. My daughter's planning a couple of long drives this summer when she's back from Uni. I'm thoroughly impressed with it, it's a vast improvement over the mini's I used to drive around Cornwall 30 years ago. But you can't fix a damn thing on it, even replacing a battery requires a trip to dealership, no more removing the weber carburetor to clean out ports to eek a bit more power out of it (which given I'm a crap mechanic is probably a good thing).

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Fixed that for you !

pretty much! They weren't as tough as a Volvo that's for sure. I had to botch some waterproofing protection for the distributor cap as well, wedged in behind the grill, as it didn't like rain!

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I learnt to drive in a British School of Motoring classic mini. I’ve great memories of a fun car to drive, but it’s not a practical car I’d want to own and drive on today’s roads.

This is the BMW Mini I bought a few years back at the start of my mid-life crisis:
DBFC82E3-197A-4DC1-AA51-3D434900B03E.jpeg

Jody

Stubborn git
Fortunately the one were getting has just had a new timing chain, th4 modified tensioner, and new turbo. I spent many hours on Goggle before letting her commit to it.

The later ones moved to BMW variant B38/B48's etc

Wise choice having a good old Google before purchase!

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I learnt to drive in a British School of Motoring classic mini.
Fondly known as the British School of Maniacs BITD.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Yes, let's have all Mini/MINI variants.

My Grandma's best friend had a Riley Elf. Decided to sell it in her 80s as she was no longer fit to drive. She asked my Dad to sell it, as he was in the trade.

It had all receipts with it. And by 'all receipts', I mean ALL receipts. Not just for the repairs, MOT and servicing at the garage, but for every drop of petrol she put in it!

Was bought by my friend's father. She was allowed to drive it once she had passed her test. However the floor dipper for the headlamps fooled us all the first time it was needed. Heading out to a Leicestershire pub in the dark on dipped headlights down country roads was fun. Fortunately this was on a road I had travelled many times, and so was able to direct her on every twist and turn in the road.

Datum2

Über Member
Blue mini van UFL 696 H, first vehicle I owned. Stolen the day before I was due to start at Ag college. Never found, had the knack of flying out of top gear when under load. It's the only vehicle I've owned where I can remember the index number.

Top Bottom