The Missing Spectacles Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roley poley

Über Member
wouldn't it be good if dowsing worked and you could swing a little pendulum over a floor map of your house and locate anything easily :whistle:

Chromatic

Legendary Member
My mum's friend lost her reading glasses one Christmas only to find that she had left them on top of the turkey when she put it in the oven

Thread winner!

Julia9054

Guru
Anyone else find that varifocals and cycling don't mix? I have to revert to single vision on both bikes and motorbikes because I don't feel safe with the varifocals on two wheels though they are perfect for driving. I put it down to having to move the eyes up and down a lot more on a bike whereas in a car you are looking either straight ahead or side to side.

Or maybe it's just me?
I wear varifocals in real life.
I have prescription cycling glasses with quite a small lens and a clip on sunglasses bit over the top. When I asked my optician about having varifocal lenses fitted she suggested it was a bad idea as the vision lens area is so small.
The other time I find varifocals problematic is when playing and reading music. It's fine if I keep my head still. I don't keep my head still! Fortunately my reading vision with no glasses still works but not sure if that will last indefinitely

Anyone else find that varifocals and cycling don't mix? I have to revert to single vision on both bikes and motorbikes because I don't feel safe with the varifocals on two wheels though they are perfect for driving. I put it down to having to move the eyes up and down a lot more on a bike whereas in a car you are looking either straight ahead or side to side.

Or maybe it's just me?

I find varifocals work really well cycling. I have a pair of wraparound Maui Jim polarised varifocal sunglasses too and they are “the dog’s” for cycling in sunny weather. Used them all the way from Brittany to Spain on eurovelo 1. Peripheral vision is good and I could read the Komoot app on my phone on the handlebars

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Been wearing my prescription sunglasses for a good few days.
Now what have I done with my regular glasses ?
Bugger.
Check the other end of the lanyard round your neck.
I think that's where my main front cycling light is as well.

I put it somewhere safe after using it to illuminate a photo shoot, and now, four months down the line, I still can't find it... :wacko:
That's being used by Leafcutter John in his music act

Dave7

Legendary Member
I think that's where my main front cycling light is as well.

I put it somewhere safe after using it to illuminate a photo shoot, and now, four months down the line, I still can't find it... :wacko:
Oh its you that caused the row is it. I shouted at MrsD.........why have you put a bl**dy cycling light on my passport .

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
The other time I find varifocals problematic is when playing and reading music. It's fine if I keep my head still. I don't keep my head still!
I have a pair of intermediate distance glasses for exactly this reason. They're wrong for reading and distance, but just right for reading sheet music - and I also use them now for working on a computer screen.

The conductor is a bit of a blur, but since I'm a church organist nobody really expects me to follow...

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
My wife has just reminded me of the afternoon I spent wearing two pairs. The very light rimless perched on top of my head and my second pair of regular glasses worn normally that I had put on when I couldn't find the first pair.

Julia9054

Guru
My wife has just reminded me of the afternoon I spent wearing two pairs. The very light rimless perched on top of my head and my second pair of regular glasses worn normally that I had put on when I couldn't find the first pair.
I have probably posted this before but similar to the time I spent all morning at work wondering what the hell was wrong with me only to discover I was wearing my contact lenses and my glasses at the same time.

byegad

Legendary Member

Or maybe it's just me?
I returned to cycling in my late 40s, at that point I'd been wearing varifocals for 10 yrs. The only issue I found on two wheels was when trying to look at, say, the bottom of the saddle. This is because you're looking up, so using the distance area of the lens, at something close too. I've always bought the 'better', think more expensive, lenses, not the cheapest by any means and never had a problem.

These days I only ride recumbent trikes, so vision wise that's more like driving the car.

Top Bottom