The Most Comfortable Roadie - Domane or Roubaix

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Unless your company has a finance/credit licence, then I think it's £2500 :smile:

Peteaud

Veteran
Ive looked at both the Trek and Spesh in the past (last year).

I would have to go for the Spesh (of the two, i went down another route). I loved the Trek but having delved into the bb issues trek had put me off.

OP
OP
cosmicbike

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Not all retailers / schemes will allow top up. Best check :smile:
I have, and they will. Also advised the 2015 bikes will be here late June/early July so may be worth waiting.
Ive looked at both the Trek and Spesh in the past (last year).

I would have to go for the Spesh (of the two, i went down another route). I loved the Trek but having delved into the bb issues trek had put me off.
Not all retailers / schemes will allow top up. Best check :smile:

Thanks for that, seems there are a few issues with the early BB90's. Seems odd that they press the bearings directly into the carbon frame, not one that makes sense to me. Are BB 30 the same as that's what the Roubaix has...

Peteaud

Veteran
I have, and they will. Also advised the 2015 bikes will be here late June/early July so may be worth waiting.

Thanks for that, seems there are a few issues with the early BB90's. Seems odd that they press the bearings directly into the carbon frame, not one that makes sense to me. Are BB 30 the same as that's what the Roubaix has...

BB30 press directly in as well. Although the trek bearing are available as oversize.

BB30 has issues and i am not saying there are better then the Trek version, but the issues with having to glue in the Trek bearing really killed the bike for me, which was a pity because i really did like it.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android

Specialized use a BB30 implementation in their bikes called OSBB and the bearings press into cups. I run OSBB on all my bikes including MTB without issue.
I have OSBB which have been in for over three years.

San Marco

Have you decided on one yet??
I tried the lowest spec'd Roubaix at Evans and it felt ok, however they only had a 58 frame which was 1-2 sizes up for me. It also had the stem flipped and facing up, so it was a very upright position. What I did notice was how well it absorbed bad tarmac etc.
Last saturday i went to a local shop and tried the Trek Domane 4.5. OMG what a machine! Relaxed riding position yet very fast and responsive. I could have carried on in a straight line all day until i reached the coast!
Sadly this 4.5 model is out of my budget at £2100
I'm trying the 4.0 model on Friday. Not sure if I'll be let down having tried one with a better spec and colour scheme.

I wish Evans had been more proactive and tried to find me a smaller frame for the Roubaix so i could compare better. The service was very 'Halfords-ish' tbh. Only tried them as they had that trade in deal.

And add to the mix the good impression that left in me the Condor Fratello and now my head is spinning!! Can't decide on a bike arghhh !!! :wacko:

OP
OP
cosmicbike

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I've not as yet. Health has kept me off the bikes (well the road one anyway) and have agreed with SWMBO that now is not the time for new wheels. I may still try the Roubaix though, just to see how it compares..

zak3737

Über Member
Sorry to bump this one, but did you go for the trek or spesh?

I'm considering the domane 4.3 triple and am all but ready to pull the trigger

Whilst i'm not the OP, I tried both the Domane's & Roubaix's yesterday, so thought i'd comment.

I have a Trek Alu 1.7 currently, and am wanting something a little more relaxed perhaps.....

The Domane 2.3 Alu, felt an improvement with the Iso-Coupler thing, and 25c tyres, and I was impressed.
The Domane 4.3 Carbon, felt an even bigger improvement, and I was more impressed.

The Roubaix SL4 Sport, complete with its CG-R Seatpost, just felt incredible. MUCH better in my limited experience.

So much so, that I'm wrestling with my conciense ........and losing !

Top Bottom