The Most Comfortable Roadie - Domane or Roubaix

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
You may all know this but I'm pretty sure that the Specialized Roubaix and the Secteur share the same geometry so the ride position should be the same. Gears, weights and frame materials etc might be different of course.

zak3737

Über Member
Thats true, The Secteur being Alu framed, and the Roubaix being Carbon.

Mind you, everything i've been told or read so far, in my very limited experience with Road bikes, about Carbon being so much 'smoother', seemed true when I tested the Roubaix,
it just felt gooooooooood.
:-)

cobblegobbler

I rode a Roubaix for a while, also Scott CR1, Pinarello Paris and Colnago C50- trying to find the best combination of comfort and performance for long rides (including hiils, rough roads, flats, smooth roads, etc- an all around performance bike). Then I bought a Trek Domane 4.5 frame, built it with all Ultegra 10 speed, including wheels and a Dura Ace cassette. I have ridden it ALOT in the last 2.5 months. It is the best all around bike I have owned. I have been riding performance bikes, including alot of racing, for 30 years (and have owned/ridden high end steel, aluminum, titanium and carbon racing bikes from the US, Italy, France and the Orient). As others have said- it is not a Crit bike, I don't race those anymore anyway- I heal too slowly for that. As a distancve bike for group rides, Fondos, charity rides, club rides, or just riding because you love riding- it is fantastic. It climbs, it is extremely comfortable, the power transmissin is exceptional- there is no flex in the bottom bracket. I have had no issues with the BB90 either. Plus you can run up to 28c tires easily. I even put some semi knobs on it for some minor trail/gravel riding. I hope this helps you, and best of luck with your decision, choice and riding!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Roubaix SL4 for me; I admit I've never ridden a Domane but every time I ride the SL4 I am amazed at the combination of comfort and stiffness. It corners like it's on rails and just gobbles bad road surfaces. Mine is a Sport model upgraded with Ultegra, a carbon crankset, Charge saddle, Ksyrium wheels and Veloflex tyres and I can't see how anyone could improve on it.

I'm 58 and I rode the 86 miles of the London 100 on it and honestly can't remember feeling tired or uncomfortable at all.

20140914_111211_zps0491129f.jpg

Cyclist33

Roubaix SL4 for me; I admit I've never ridden a Domane but every time I ride the SL4 I am amazed at the combination of comfort and stiffness. It corners like it's on rails and just gobbles bad road surfaces. Mine is a Sport model upgraded with Ultegra, a carbon crankset, Charge saddle, Ksyrium wheels and Veloflex tyres and I can't see how anyone could improve on it.

I'm 58 and I rode the 86 miles of the London 100 on it and honestly can't remember feeling tired or uncomfortable at all.

20140914_111211_zps0491129f.jpg
That is a thing o' beauty.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Cannondale Synapse has received glowing reviews, it would be an excellent choice.

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
In reality, I reckon there's probably not a gnat's whisker between all 3 of them - Domane, Roubaix or Synapse.

So, as in every other bike purchase, it just comes down to personal preference and which colour you like the best! :rolleyes:

SteCenturion

I am your Father
New option to put on the table...

Canyon Endurance CF or CF SLX (with VCLS seatpost) dependant on budget.
So far gone unmentioned I believe.

The trouble with this though is getting to test one, as they are direct sales from Germany, although one CC'er did suggest that they may now have a retail premises (in London probably).

zak3737

Über Member
The fantastic value for money that Canyon offer is highly tempting, and I do like the look of the CF SLX, love it in fact, but buying blind would put me off,
unless their store could oblige.....

It'd be like buying a car without driving it, or getting married without testing her first ;-)

Pheonix026

Just purchased a Roubaix Elite. Very impressed with it (except the wheels- Fulcrum S5 which I'm now looking to upgrade) Should see me through the next three years nicely.

Top Bottom