The motivation is low for cycling at the moment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
By birth he is! 😄 But, like me, he has lived in South Africa for most of his life and used to a warmer, less wet climate. Now he is back living in Scotland and relying upon Zwift for his winter training.
That's a shame, especially as I'm going the other way come Thursday but only for 3 weeks but it's a start. :sun:

That's a shame, especially as I'm going the other way come Thursday but only for 3 weeks but it's a start. :sun:

Ah enjoy! I love my visits 'home' to SA. That'll surely recharge your batteries and break up winter, nice and warm there now.

MBosh

I love cycling in the rain just like I like jogging in the rain. It makes me feel more alive for some reason and I don't sweat buckets like I do in the summer months. I love the rain pounding on my face and then getting home to a hot bath. I must admit though, I don't see a lot of happy faces on other cyclists I pass in heavy rain. I just see those faces that people pull when they look as though they are in agony.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
I just see those faces that people pull when they look as though they are in agony.
Those are the faces of soft weaklings who would ordinarily have been erased by the Darwinian process, but who have been artificially kept alive by the fripperies and comforts of society. Console yourself withe the thought that you're higher up the food chain, and when society eventually collapses the likes of you and I will thrive be exploiting and dominating weaklings like this.

Slick

Guru
I love cycling in the rain just like I like jogging in the rain. It makes me feel more alive for some reason and I don't sweat buckets like I do in the summer months. I love the rain pounding on my face and then getting home to a hot bath. I must admit though, I don't see a lot of happy faces on other cyclists I pass in heavy rain. I just see those faces that people pull when they look as though they are in agony.
I would prefer it if it wasn't raining but I've posted many times how I have always enjoyed the additional challenge that cycling in the rain brings. I think for me, I become very single minded and turn it into a bit of a workout.

MBosh

I must admit to pulling strange faces myself while riding in the rain, but I think the faces I pull are one of joy and not agony. Gives me a bit of a giggle to look at all the different face being pulled though because I try to guess if people are enjoying the rain or not.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
I quite like winter. It helps that my bike is my transport too, so aldi winter tights, waterproof and i just have to get on with it. so appreciate the days when you are not actually riding in the dark, it's dry and not a headwind. However wet, headwind and dark I still prefer riding over getting the bus. I average some of my highest mileages in winter months, other stuff can get in the way in the summer, and I dread heat far more, all that suncream and overheating is not my preferred state. Only ice and dangerous winds keep me off my bike. Found Festive 500 fabulous for avoiding the Christmas dip, although admittedly living in the benign south west makes it very easy to keep going. Then when you get home, have a hot shower, put on warm comfy clothes and really enjoy dinner because you've earnt it. I love that exhilaration of slightly weather beaten warmth when you stop!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Those are the faces of soft weaklings who would ordinarily have been erased by the Darwinian process, but who have been artificially kept alive by the fripperies and comforts of society. Console yourself withe the thought that you're higher up the food chain, and when society eventually collapses the likes of you and I will thrive be exploiting and dominating weaklings like this.

Reminds me of the rain god who drove a truck in Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
That occurs to me often, if push comes to shove some people have never "had" to survive. Must admit the cyclists I see are always grinning, the year round commuters on the bike path are a clandestine club. On extreme days we even talk to each other at the crossings etc wiping glasses in companionable knowledge that there is the odd person like you out there. The winter runners grin too, mad things running! :whistle:

Sometimes, you just gotta get out and go...
Car was in dock lasy year in Estover, north of Plymouth. Needed to get ebay-sourced spares to them. No option but to get on the bike, and it sure as hell wasn't MY type of cycling weather. But, needs must, so...
I was riding the Scott roadie, don't think it had ever been that dirty before!

Nebulous

Guru
There is something oddly satisfying about being caught in torrential rain, it feels like you’re battling against adversity. It’s the same when I’m out on my motorcycle, if I get drenched and the bike is filthy, it feels like a proper ride.

I'm not sure I'd go as far as that, but it certainly brings its own pleasures. Water is a very effective lubricant and it is always pleasing to feel and hear how well the bike and gears operate in the wet.

Top Bottom