The motor vehicle questions and answers thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Let's talk car reversing sensors! I've discovered that my Mini D's reversing sensors aren't working. I bet they've been off for about a month. I've been thinking 'there's summat odd about this car,but i can't put my finger on it'. The other night i reversed(slowly) into a wheelie bin. I then sussed that the 'beep' beep 'beep' wasn't happening. Any of you know what's caused it? The car is due for an MOT in a month,so i suppose it can wait till it goes to a garage for a pre MOT check,but if it's summat simple(ish) like a blown fuse then even someone like me can fix it.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Let's talk car reversing sensors! I've discovered that my Mini D's reversing sensors aren't working. I bet they've been off for about a month. I've been thinking 'there's summat odd about this car,but i can't put my finger on it'. The other night i reversed(slowly) into a wheelie bin. I then sussed that the 'beep' beep 'beep' wasn't happening. Any of you know what's caused it? The car is due for an MOT in a month,so i suppose it can wait till it goes to a garage for a pre MOT check,but if it's summat simple(ish) like a blown fuse then even someone like me can fix it.
Are they OEM-fit sensors or aftermarket?

On other cars I have seen this sort of behaviour come from water ingress around the wiring harness and associated module. If they are aftermarket it could be a wiring issue, depending how well they have been integrated into the car's wiring.

Salar

A fish out of water

Check the manual Accy, they might be switched off.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Does that mean were they fitted by the manufacturer,or by a previous owner? I'm not sure,but i think by the manufacturer.
Yes, sorry. OEM means "original equipment manufacturer" which in this context means the car-maker. So the question was, were they part of the car's specification when first built or have they been added afterwards? Sometimes after-market additions are made by dealers to new cars as they are cheaper than specifying the option from the factory. Or they get added to cars by subsequent owners wanting to enhance their car.

Anyway, if they are factory-fitted then it's worth checking all the settings in the menus first and if not there then let the garage have a look at MOT time. A quick Google suggests the PDC module can fail and is usually housed behind some trim in the boot. Not sure if one of those OBD dongles and phone app things would find the fault?

gbb

Legendary Member
Not really something worth creating a thread for so this will one will do...fuel economy ?
2015 Astra 1.6 non turbo, accepted as heavy (250 kg heavier than the former model), a bit underpowered and pretty unremarkable in many ways..(but a reliable steady car if thats what you want) and I read some people complain they only get 35 to 38 mpg ...mine ?..

Thats achieved over half a tank of fuel so some town, urban and A1 use although I am by my own admission a steady driver, but not that I hold folk up.
Winters a different matter though.

gbb

Legendary Member
Tracking and tyre wear ?
Just had a lookee at my DILs 2009 Kia Rio, a bit of a shed tbh but it works but has some noticeable tyre scrubbing on the outside on the nearside, typical tracking issue I'd have thought. Jacked the car up, wheels off and had a rummage and did indeed find a track rod end sloppy...plus the ball joint on the suspension arm has a ropey looking rubber boot but no apparent ewear, but all this on the offside, opposite to the worn tyre.
The other side seems rock solid (in as much as I can reasonably diagnose it at the side of the road)
Can that wear transmit to the opposite side ?
I'm going to ask my SIL (garage mechanic) when I see him but for now, just asking ?

Drago

Legendary Member
It will transmit the wear to the good side to some extent, as that side is now bearing extra load.

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Engine knock ?
I occasionally notice a metallic 'tinkling' from the low front of the car, always while accelerating at low speed, while the engine is probably under a fair bit of load. It only lasts a few seconds and only happens very occasionally.
Opinions ? It doesnt happen often so I'm not particually concerned. Wondering if it's a common thing related to fuel choice / quality.
It's called pinking and is a mild form of knocking. Can be caused by lugging the engine in too high a gear, which also wrecks your main bearings.

Assuming you're not lugging it, other factors are:

- low octane fuel
- too much ignition advance (unlikely in these days of computer-controlled ignition but still possible on cars where the distributor or cam sensor housing can be rotated to adjust base timing)
- leaky or missing MAP sensor vacuum hoses, which means the ignition module can't sense the "load" on the engine
- bad coking
- wrong spark plugs (too hot)
- lean mixture, which could be caused by partially blocked injectors these days

Top Bottom