The motor vehicle questions and answers thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I don't want to start a thread about certain types of cars,or driving standards. I'd like one for CC members to enable them to ask sensible questions about mainly car maintenance and the upkeep of cars. I have a problem...i think. My car has electric windows that dip an inch when i open the door and go back in place when i close the door. This action is to allow for the door windows not being framed at the top,so if the windows didn't dip the doors wouldn't open...so i've been told. My question/problem is that from past experience winding down electric windows when it's below freezing means a broken winder motor or cable costing hundreds of pounds to replace. If i open my car door when it's below freezing will the window attempt to dip an inch, causing the motor to blow if the glass is frozen to the rubber around the frame? Surely the makers of the car will have thought of this as it's not just a case of don't open the windows when it's freezing and below, it means if they haven't thought of it, then on freezing and below freezing days you cannot open the doors of this particular make of car.

Last edited:

ClaireSaud

Veteran
I’ve owned a couple of cars with this type of window. We just gently poured lukewarm water around the top seal of the door when de-icing the car. The window dropped fine with no issues each time.

Gunk

Guru
I’ve had a BMW convertible and a couple of Mini’s which have this feature and have never had a failure due to freezing temperatures

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Thanks for the replies so far. If i pour lukewarm water over the rubber surround yes it will make it safe to open the window, but when i get back to my car it'll most likely have frozen again.

I looked up my problem on the internet,but i couldn't find the answer.I have to drive somewhere in the morning and i just do not want to end up blowing two window winder motors,if it's frosty as i think it has to be!

Last edited:

ClaireSaud

Veteran
Thanks for the replies so far. If i pour lukewarm water over the rubber surround yes it will make it safe to open the window, but when i get back to my car it'll most likely have frozen again.
If you are de-icing your car and then leaving it some time, then yes. We would do this and then head straight out to work and it was never a problem. You can always look gummi pflege. It is highly regarded and is a silicone.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
If you are de-icing your car and then leaving it some time, then yes. We would do this and then head straight out to work and it was never a problem. You can always look gummi pflege. It is highly regarded and is a silicone.
I've looked it up..... Gummi Pflege is a special rubber treatment that conditions rubber weather seals on car doors, windows and trunks reducing squeaks, rattles, wind noise and potential water leaks.

Wouldn't the glass still stick in freezing conditions though,even if the rubber surround is well lubricated?

Drago

Legendary Member
Accy, wind your window down, use a toothbrush to clean and dry the channel in which it moves. Get a stick of Gummi Pfledge (honest, claire isnt pulling your leg) and moisten the rubbers. That'll prevent it sticking or freezing. On cars with a conventional window surround spray the channels with silicone dry lube.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Wiper motors and window motors dont blow when frozen, the power is cut to the motor so they dont blow.

Manufacturers know this and build in fail safe electrics to protect the components.
Cleaver people these car builders.
So worry not Accy

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Accy, wind your window down, use a toothbrush to clean and dry the channel in which it moves. Get a stick of Gummi Pfledge (honest, claire isnt pulling your leg) and moisten the rubbers. That'll prevent it sticking or freezing. On cars with a conventional window surround spray the channels with silicone dry lube.
I'm in dire straights! i've had to cancel my appointment. The ones i was supposed to be seeing were understanding when i told them my car was 'frozen over' (i didn't tell them about the windows) and it's just too risky even if it wasn't, to walk on the ungritted path/road to get to where it's parked. If i were to buy this Gummi Pfledge it'll take days to arrive. I just can't believe that BMW didn't think about this problem when designing their windows!!:thumbsdown:

Drago

Legendary Member
They did - that's why when you pay BMW for a major service one of the items is to clean and treat the rubbers with a similar concoction. One application on good condition rubber lasts a year or more.

Fred in a Shed couldn't care less about such time wasting niceties, and will do the bare minimum to stop you coming back and complaining, and that's why they charge less.

Top Bottom