The motor vehicle questions and answers thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Wiper motors and window motors dont blow when frozen, the power is cut to the motor so they dont blow.

Manufacturers know this and build in fail safe electrics to protect the components.
Cleaver people these car builders.
So worry not Accy
Yeah,i've thought about that,but if the windows don't dip automatically when frozen, surely it means you can't open the doors to get in the car? I just don't want to risk it. i'm going to phone the garage/car sales i bought it off and ask their advice. The car is still under warranty,so i don't think they'll fancy having to replace two window motors if they were to blow.

Drago

Legendary Member
Warranty wont cover the effects of nature, lack of maintenance, or inadequate design.

screenman

Legendary Member
Not forgetting on hot days glass expands, maybe they will not drop enough then, I move hundreds of cars each year with this type of window in all sorts of weather, never once had a problem.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've just phoned the garage. They said to spray some de-icer around the rubber/frame before opening the door. I'm still not convinced. I'm just not going to attempt opening the door(s). I'm going to ask another BMW Mini owner how they manage.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
How do i stop spiders squatting in my door mirrors ?.... I evict them, they move right back in, and continue webbing the place up again. They also hang their little spider arses out of the wing mirror and crap down the door.
Beware spider poop!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It will be fine, it's designed to open even if frozen. I just tip a 6 pint milk bottle full of warm tap water over my car windows. 6 pints is more than enough to warm the surrounding surfaces up without freezing again - if you use too little, it will freeze.

Your windows are the least problem with a Mini. I know two people's cars that were right lemons - my sister's was always in the garage, and a friends Cooper S was always breaking with major engine issues - ended up as scrap - shame, it WAS a lovely looking car.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Do you mean don't use de-icer?

I never use de-icer. Just warm water or a scraper.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Well i found out what happens in freezing weather to those dipping windows...the hard way! Last night i tried to fire up the sludgy diesel at minus 5 C. I tried the battery too much,then it died. The windows did dip,but when i shut the door they didn't go back up.:sad: Then fool/tool me tried again to fire the car up this afternoon. Why would a flat battery charge itself up you may ask. Yes i know they don't,unless the engine's running but i believe in miracles and i hoped one would happen with my battery. Anyway,it didn't and to make matters a lot worse the driver's door window slipped half way down!:ohmy: Don't panic man i thought, so i phoned the garage up where i bought the car from.He's a decent chap and knows i panic,so he talked calmly on the phone saying the window would go back up when the battery had enough charge in it to move the windows up and down and he'd be there after he closed his garage,with his battery starter thingy. With that attached to the terminals it fired up no problem,with the window going back up to add to my luck.:wahhey: So yes i was right i'd say. BMW just didn't quite suss out that leccy windows that move a centimetre when opening the door,are crap in freezing conditions!

keithmac

Guru
What year is it and does it have a glow plug light on dashboard?.

Ours preheats the glow plugs when you unlock and open the drivers door iirc.

Top Bottom