The MP and the 15minute city conspiracy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
IBTL as NACA is ↑ way.

And because he's been fed a daft idea and isn't bright enough to do any fact-checking for himself.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
To be honest I'm completely perplexed as well, as to why people are thinking this way. There was another article recently by Peter Walker touching on this:

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...n-schemes-attract-so-many-conspiracy-theories

It's not only in Britain either, in Berlin they are also trying to experiment with curtailing car freedoms and meeting with strong opposition.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/feb/11/berlin-car-free-city-plan-culture-war

Not matter how much I read on the matter, I'm still struggling to understand how people can conflate these issues with wider conspiracy theories though.

The increasing popularity of E-bikes and the plethora of Cargo bikes, along with good alternative transport infrastructure should surely mean that this is the golden moment to seriously look at schemes like this?

https://road.cc/content/news/tory-mp-attacks-15-minute-cities-conspiracy-theory-299249

Thoughts?? In particular, why do some drivers think these schemes are stopping them driving to anywhere more than 15 minutes away?

I don't tend to read road.cc much, but it happened to be the first google hit to sum-up events. Now I've read the comments section, and it has boosted my opinion of their readership!
"
It's all about taking away peoples' freedom.
Presumably by force fields around the boundary.

"

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
My guess is:

option 1: He has a dislike for change, and for cyclists, and sees freedoms for peds and cyclists as "pandering to the tree-huggers". Despite the increased potential for healthier, safer, greener and less congested cities.
Option 2: He has a personal financial interest in motorised vehicles and/or infrastructure

All uphill

Still rolling along
Years ago I was taught that feelings of being persecuted often arise in people who otherwise would be invisible in an indifferent universe. Better to feel persecuted than ignored.

Maybe we should all give the conspiracy theorists a big hug. Or maybe not.

Moderators

Legendary Member
Mod note: we agree that this is an advocacy thread and it can remain within the sub-forum. However, the naming of the MP's Party in the title is not necessary and has been deleted. The thread is, thus far, avoiding political comment. Thank you and please can we keep it that way.

PK99

Legendary Member
Years ago I was taught that feelings of being persecuted often arise in people who otherwise would be invisible in an indifferent universe. Better to feel persecuted than ignored.

Some would say that is true about cyclists - they are not out to get us, we are invisble.

Last edited:

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Mod note: we agree that this is an advocacy thread and it can remain within the sub-forum. However, the naming of the MP's Party in the title is not necessary and has been deleted. The thread is, thus far, avoiding political comment. Thank you and please can we keep it that way.

Are you sure ? It is pretty important in the story as it about policy.

@Mods - Of course the MPs party appears in the link in the OPS starting post. Not as obvious as the title but still part of this thread through such a link. Obviously you don't have the power to moderate the link content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom