The need for bollards?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/bridge-used-temple-meads-commuters-494116

Some truck driver somewhere feeling rather sheepish today at how much this’ll cost to repair. Back in July, I witnessed White Van Man deliberately driving through a ped/cycle crossing as they were too lazy to go all the way around the junction (stretched over a river). I’ve also read articles where daffy drivers seem to find themselves on cycle bridges etc. Do we need to put bollards in and some large signs to protect infrastructure that’ not intended for motor vehicles?.

Anything like this ever happen on your commute?.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Crushable plastic bollards so that Emergency vehicles can still use the route help, but what it really needs is policing.

I've seen a few cars attempting to use CS3 in London but backing out before they got far, unlike various reports you can find on YouTube. Famously, a motorist drove onto the suspension tunnel bridge by Cambridge station a few years ago, which I think caused damage due to the excessive weight and required closure for repairs.

mjr

They really ought to take the bottleneck chicanes off the Valentine's Bridge until the cheesegrater bridge is repaired too, else the queues are probably going to get bad.

mjr

Bollards (gates & barriers) on cycle routes have ruined many a trip out with the kids in the trailer. Yes, some routes need restrictions but not as the cost of anyone using anything more than just a standard bike.
Bollards should have at least 1.2m gaps between them - would that block any cycles?

Barriers and most gate designs shouldn't be used any more IMO. They're not kind to people using cycles for mobility reasons.

Drago

Legendary Member
Yep, any expanse of tarmac not intended for cars should have bollards to prevent the inevitable eejuts/lazy/in a hurry/self entitled motor vehicle drivers from gaining access. Of course, strategic bollards should be removable and the keys carried in local police, ambo and trumpton vehicles.

If its a smooth, solid surface, someone will inevitably want to drive or park upon it, and should be prevented from doing so.

OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Yep, any expanse of tarmac not intended for cars should have bollards to prevent the inevitable eejuts/lazy/in a hurry/self entitled motor vehicle drivers from gaining access. Of course, strategic bollards should be removable and the keys carried in local police, ambo and trumpton vehicles.

If its a smooth, solid surface, someone will inevitably want to drive or park upon it, and should be prevented from doing so.

Seems to be a universal problem:

Drago

Legendary Member
A nice bollard would cure that. In the case of the Toronto lane I'd sneak the bollard in overnight and not publicise it to yeah those deliberately misusing it a lesson.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Bollards (gates & barriers) on cycle routes have ruined many a trip out with the kids in the trailer. Yes, some routes need restrictions but not as the cost of anyone using anything more than just a standard bike.
Exactly this. Around here they love putting closely spaced bollards or worse those "S" gates where you have to slow to a crawl on a bike or get off and manually carry your trailer through.

I have said to councillors before, if you wouldn't put a proportionally shaped version on a road, please don't put it on a cycle path. And especially don't substitute a proper relectorised bollard with a sawn-off piece of scaffold pole.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.7...zkTyocnQ!2e0!5s20140701T000000!7i13312!8i6656

Drago

Legendary Member
I don't mind bollards if spaced sensibly, but I've a downer on the other devices you mention.

I'd rather encounter a bollard than a Porsche Cayenne (desperately checking the reg to be sure it wasn't my daughter!)

mjr

Top Bottom