The (New) 2013 Surly Troll

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zenroad

Hi, Everyone.

Good just got better. Just saw a pic of the new Surly Troll, and it looks as if Surly may be responding positively to two undeniable facts:

1) more people are turning to 26"-wheeled mountain bikes for expedition purposes, and
2) up there at the top of the list of great bikes in this category is their very own Troll.

Surly's response?
Current pics show a third water bottle mount on the underside of the downtube (I'd heard rumors of this earlier this year) and two more bottle mounts on the fork blades (admittedly NOT usable with certain rack set-ups, but still).

They've also apparently given the agent orange paint job the old heave-ho and replaced it with a choice of either eggplant purple or not-so-dark black.

Here's to you, Surly! Keep up the good work. ^_^

Crankarm

Guru
Pics?

I looked a this bike (2012) with a view to a very low maintainance commuting/expedition bike but decided I couldn't buy it as it didn't have iirc, so might be wrong as I have looked at sooo many,

1) didn't have horizontal drop outs for a Rohloff hub so major fail,

2) didn't have a break in the rear triangle for the option to fit a belt drive to another fail.

3) didn't have the rear disc brake mount inside the rear triangle to make fitting of a rack really simple and strong.

4) I couldn't buy a bike with the name Troll. Sorry, it's naff ugly name for a bike.

style over speed

riding a f**king bike
think you may have been looking at another bike… the troll does have disc brake mount inside rear triangle, as it does a horizontal rear drop out and like all surly stickers the troll logo is easily removed!!

dsc_25581.jpg

Pics?

I looked a this bike (2012) with a view to a very low maintainance commuting/expedition bike but decided I couldn't buy it as it didn't have iirc, so might be wrong as I have looked at sooo many,

2) didn't have a break in the rear triangle for the option to fit a belt drive to another fail.

3) didn't have the rear disc brake mount inside the rear triangle to make fitting of a rack really simple and strong.

4) I couldn't buy a bike with the name Troll. Sorry, it's naff ugly name for a bike.

OP
OP
Zenroad

Zenroad

http://surlybikes.com/bikes/troll

Nice bike but why use it for expeditions?

It's personal preference, as are all things. Years ago, I began spending more and more time on my mtb and eventually got to the point where I wasn't riding my road bike at all. My mtb was set up for the street (tires), and it did everything I wanted it to do AND MORE. I'm really finished with road bikes. The last time I rode one, I felt vulnerable. I just completed (this past weekend) a 150-mile, two day road trip on my mtb, and I'm good to go. Was doing 20mph coming home on the second day. Granted, the mtb in question is a Klein (light and stiff), but still...

Another thing is that 26" wheels are stronger (because of spoke length) than larger wheels, AND 26" tires are easier to find in an emergency. Again, it is personal preference. Whatever works for you. I've been cycling (touring, commuting, some racing) for nearly thirty years, and a good mtb is what works for me. Road bikes no longer serve my purposes or desires.

"Why use it for expeditions?" Why not? Is there a concern with speed? Handling? I find that mtbs are plenty fast for touring, and the handling is much better than any road bike I've ever ridden, especially under fully loaded conditions.

With all this said, I'd like to add that my old Mercian road racing bike (Reynolds tubing!) with Campy components is FOR SALE!

OP
OP
Zenroad

Zenroad

Pics?

Are you sure you are looking at the right bike? Surly Troll has Rohloff capabilities; many people are building up their Trolls with Rohloff hubs. And rear disc brakes no problem. As for the name, it's just a name. Put a piece of tape over it. Call it something else.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I'd take the Ogre rather than the Troll, it's the 29er/700c version of the same thing. I like the Surly range and for street/sodding about I'd choose a Karate Monkey, for faster road but still some rough stuff capacity then the Xcheck, road touring the LHT and offroad touring the Ogre.

It's the Crosscheck that lacks disc capability but I think all the others bar the KM have moved to low mount. We have two KM's in the garage(my eldest and middle sons) and the rack mounts are positioned further up the seatstays to allow use of a regular rack with the disc brakes.

My custom touring frame uses the LHT as central inspiration but borrows from the Xcheck and KM as well. With a nod to the Thorn Mercury Rohloff fast tourer as well.

My kids have had MTBs and Hybrids but the Karate Monkeys have proved the winning recipe so far. Fitted with some big slicks they are surprisingly quick on the road as well, not quite Xcheck quick but not far off.

Bodhbh

Guru
I notice On-One have brought out their own take on the Surly Pugsley (a fatbike with clearance for 3.8" tires). If there's a market for something like that, it's a shame they don't come out with something similar to the Orge/Troll. A few people already use their Inbred MTB frames for touring as they're cheap, steel and have bottle/rack mounts (arbeit only 1 or two, depending on the frame). Be nice to see them do an off-road touring/expedition type frame in the same price bracket as their other frames, with the full set of bottle mounts, disc mounts inside the triangle, etc.

OP
OP
Zenroad

Zenroad

I notice On-One have brought out their own take on the Surly Pugsley (a fatbike with clearance for 3.8" tires). If there's a market for something like that, it's a shame they don't come out with something similar to the Orge/Troll. A few people already use their Inbred MTB frames for touring as they're cheap, steel and have bottle/rack mounts (arbeit only 1 or two, depending on the frame). Be nice to see them do an off-road touring/expedition type frame in the same price bracket as their other frames, with the full set of bottle mounts, disc mounts inside the triangle, etc.

Bodhbh-
Glad to see the On-One name tossed in to the conversation, because I just discovered them (48 hours ago), and I'm now pulling hard towards their 456 EVO steel frame for the long trek I'm doing in 2014. (My original choice was the Surly Troll.) Yes, the price is great, but the EVO's geo (especially the longish chainstays, lowered BB, and slack head angle) is the real attraction. If I stay on course, I'll be riding the EVO over 5,000 miles, mostly on-road, while toting about 50 pounds of gear. My website gives the whats, wheres, and whys. www.tohokuforward.org. I have word from some guys over in the off-road forum that On_one's material of choice (DN6 4130) is good stuff. I was unfamiliar with it. Any thoughts? I may end up putting a Surly Troll fork on the EVO, but not sure yet. I'll post pics as the bike comes together. I'm aware of the poor paint job of the On-One, but NAP (Not A Problem). I'll frame-save it inside before the build, and I can always get it sandblasted and powder coated later.

Crankarm

Guru
Are you sure you are looking at the right bike? Surly Troll has Rohloff capabilities; many people are building up their Trolls with Rohloff hubs. And rear disc brakes no problem. As for the name, it's just a name. Put a piece of tape over it. Call it something else.

Apologies, yes it does have horizontal drop outs for Rohloff and disc brake mounts, which are all good, but no break in the rear triangle to fit a belt drive which is one of my requirements. OK a chain could be fitted with an all encompassing chain guard to keep out crud, but I am liking the prospect of belt drive. I take back my inital criticism but it could do with a break in the drive side drop out rather like the Civia which bike is more a road bike which has Alfine 8 belt drive with disc brakes and all bosses for racks front and rear etc. I rode this and the ride was sooooo quiet.

Still don't like the name Troll. It's a name fail.

Top Bottom