The New Highway Code - !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
Have finally got my hands on a hard copy of the above rather than go by the sensationalist claims in some press releases of how the changes wil cause problems for just about everyone - !
Now, this is supposed to have been a major overhaul of the rules. Interesting then that under Rule 60, all cycles manufactured after 01/10/1985 must be fitted with amber pedal reflectors; Law RVLR regs 13, 18 & 24 still applies - ! :whistle:
The many of us with clipless pedals could be in trouble then - ! :rofl:

andrew_s

Legendary Member
That (pedal reflectors) has been the case for many years.
It only applies when riding after dark.

if you don't want clipless with reflectors (I use these), the normal subsitute is reflective ankle bands.

Jody

Stubborn git
There's got to be something more interesting in there than pedal reflector laws.

GuyBoden

Guru
I thought that the latest Highway Code was published online here: https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Reflectors going up and down on moving pedals/feet/legs do show up very well if they are illuminated though.

absolutely and really show that its a bike to car drivers. A moving "light" (ok so its reflection) is much more visible that a stationery one.

On my commuting bikes I used to use 3m reflective tape stuck to cranks pedals etc for this very reason.

Alex321

Veteran
Have finally got my hands on a hard copy of the above rather than go by the sensationalist claims in some press releases of how the changes wil cause problems for just about everyone - !
Now, this is supposed to have been a major overhaul of the rules. Interesting then that under Rule 60, all cycles manufactured after 01/10/1985 must be fitted with amber pedal reflectors; Law RVLR regs 13, 18 & 24 still applies - ! :whistle:
The many of us with clipless pedals could be in trouble then - ! :rofl:

The highway code is not law, it just references the law whenever it says MUST or MUST NOT.

While the HC has changed, the law hasn't, so that provision is still in force.

Top Bottom