The New Radiohead album

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SamNichols

Right, so my activation link has come. Anyone else got it?
For an album that I paid £1 for (I am an unemployed Postgrad - I have no money and Radiohead have a lot of money), I am thoroughly pleased with it. The song Nude almost sounds like it could have come off of the Bends, Bodysnatchers is a great fast song. All in all, brilliant and much poppier than Radiohead in ages.

Anyone else download it?

Smeggers

I was going to, then the BBC changed my mind....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7037194.stm

However if there is anything on it that even remotely resembles The Bends, I shall be paying proper money for it.

OP
OP
SamNichols

SamNichols

I totally disagree with that BBC review.
It's totally different from Kid A and Amnesiac. It's not nearly as sparse as those albums, a lot more traditional than them. All of the songs are in 4/4, and most have heavy drum beats (proper drums). Some have strings: it seems that Thom Yorke's solo stuff, which was nice (although the Brighton guy Jacob's Stories does that style far better) has been absorbed into the rest of Radiohead, and that they've come up with an album that is both akin to older Radiohead, but also with the experimentation that characterises anything after OK Computer.

All in all, if you can get it for a quid, you might as well. I don't want to contemplate the paradigm that this release might create - the record labels are still in need of a big kick up the arse to modernise, and this might do it.

ajevans

The BBC review made me want to download it more. I didn't like them until Kid A (although Ok Computer nearly had me).

Will download later on. Will probably pay a fiver.

Melvil

I think they're pretty savvy - I reckon a lot of people who would normally get this on p2p will just think 'ah, why not, pay 50p or so' and so Radiohead will get some money where before they wouldn't. People who would normally pay full price for an album will probably carry on doing so for this one.

I haven't downloaded it yet but if it's anything like the bends and/or OK comp then I will be very happy (and I also liked Kid A more than most people seemed to).

Big Bren

I'll be downloading it tomorrow and I'll pay a tenner; Radiohead are consistently brilliant and I don't expect to be disappointed. If I am, then such is life; unlike the BBC goober, I'll feel no more ripped off than I would if I bought an album in the conventional way and didn't like it. Either way, I can't get my money back.

I'm another Kid A fan btw - I saw them on that tour and they were superb. 'Everything In It's Right Place' gives me goosebumps.

Bren

Smeggers said:
I was going to, then the BBC changed my mind....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7037194.stm

However if there is anything on it that even remotely resembles The Bends, I shall be paying proper money for it.

That BBC review (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7037194.stm) is rubbish - in fact I would go as far as to say it is utter bollocks. I have just bought, downloaded and listened to the album and am happy to report that - in my humble opinon - it is brilliant. It starts well and just gets better.

I look forward to listening to it again on while I walk to work tomorrow morning, and again on the way back home.

Anyone still sitting on the fence - buy the album. If you like any 'style' of Radiohead, you will find something you like.

One thing to consider though - the downloads are 160kbps MP3 files. If this raises quality issues (sounded great on my MP3 player, but 160kbps is not CD quality in my book) set your price accordingly.

tomb1960

It's brilliant, buy it or don't buy it it's up to you, but download it anyway! I was given a copy on a CD, but on uploading it to my laptop none of the track titles showed up, I can't be doing with that so I downloaded it officially and I was so impressed I paid £8-00 for the privilege (incidentally and somewhat cheekily I feel they charge a 45p admin charge for ussing a credit card).

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
If I had a free morning to listen to some music, and I was offered the choice of sitting in a comfy armchair with cakes and tea listening to Radiohead, or sitting outside in the rain being slapped with a wet fish whilst having George Formby played through earphones at 100 decibels, Id plump for the latter! :blush:
I don't even categorise them under "music", I'm afraid! OK Computer was given to me as a prezzie. It is the only album I have ever physically thrown away. In the bin.

Melvil

Just downloaded it (well, i say just...I've actually listened to the album a couple of times)...and, I reckon first half I could do without...but the second half really opens up - must say 'The reckoner' just sounds lush with Thom going falsetto wild!

(BTW: Really would like to see the results of a full cathedral choir and radiohead band collaboration...wouldn't it be mindblowing???)

I paid £2 as that is about what they got from the record company per CD anyway.

And I'm tight.

OP
OP
SamNichols

SamNichols

You don't like the first half you say? I loved the first half - track 1 is all a bit square pusher and beaty, which i love. Two is upbeat and makes me happy. Three is nude, which I've been hearing since before ok computer, so I am surprised they recorded it in an album version (great version though!), and Weird Fish makes me want to dance. Alot.
But, yes, Reckoner is also brilliant

Abitrary

You either like radiohead or you don't

You either respect them, and their followers, or you don't

I don't like radiohead, but I respect them, but I don't respect their followers because I've honestly never met one.

Or maybe I did, but they were mumbling and i couldn't understand them

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
well i'm going to hell. i downloaded it free :rolleyes:

first album i haven't paid for, so i don't feel guilty :biggrin:

sounds ok, but i still think Hail to the Thief will take some beating

Top Bottom