The new ride - I've joined the dark side

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
SquareDaff

SquareDaff

Über Member
Nice ride BTW...sorry, should have said that earlier.
Thanks! Only ridden it 7.5 miles so far but it just feels so much easier. Hopefully a 40 mile ride on the way home after work. Looking flaming miserable outside though so might end up cutting it short.

OP
OP
SquareDaff

SquareDaff

Über Member
Thanks for the comments ^_^
Now to the new bike niggles:

1) The saddle - stitching is slightly raised so got a nice blister on my butt cheek! Hoping it will "bed in" (the saddle not my butt cheek) otherwise it'll be time to attack it with saddle soap/vaseline or replace with my charge spoon.
2) White bar tape - dirty already! Why would a manufacturer ever think this is a good idea?

But....on the plus side - the hubs are fantastic. Spun the front wheel on the stand - went to the loo and it was still spinning when I got back. And these are entry level hubs/rims too!

Jdratcliffe

Thanks for the comments ^_^
Now to the new bike niggles:

1) The saddle - stitching is slightly raised so got a nice blister on my butt cheek! Hoping it will "bed in" (the saddle not my butt cheek) otherwise it'll be time to attack it with saddle soap/vaseline or replace with my charge spoon.
2) White bar tape - dirty already! Why would a manufacturer ever think this is a good idea?

But....on the plus side - the hubs are fantastic. Spun the front wheel on the stand - went to the loo and it was still spinning when I got back. And these are entry level hubs/rims too!
Baby wipes are your friends when it comes to white bar tape! :-) had a allez with white tape was amazing after 20mins cleaning but the dirty 5mins later :-(

OP
OP
SquareDaff

SquareDaff

Über Member
It is a lovely looking bike, and I'm glad it rides well. Might offend the brand snobs though!
Cheers. ^_^ I really don't care about the brand name or what other people think about it. Having tried the bike out (and the Boardman) it was the one that "felt right" and ulitmately that's more important. Have stuck well over 100 miles on it now and loved every second.

OP
OP
SquareDaff

SquareDaff

Über Member
OK - new big niggles - the valve length on the inner tubes is too short - this means I can't blow the things up with my floor pump. Have replaced one with a standard 42mm. No problems. Fitting tubes with standard length valves would make a huge difference.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
How is the saddle bedding in.
I would have put another saddle on pdq if I had got a bum blister :ohmy:

Looks a lovely bike, I gave one some serious consideration before getting my giant. It was the bloke in the shop that annoyed me. The bloke in the giant shop was lovely and no patronising and didn't try to sell me a pink bike.

OP
OP
SquareDaff

SquareDaff

Über Member
How is the saddle bedding in.
I would have put another saddle on pdq if I had got a bum blister :ohmy:

Looks a lovely bike, I gave one some serious consideration before getting my giant. It was the bloke in the shop that annoyed me. The bloke in the giant shop was lovely and no patronising and didn't try to sell me a pink bike.
Changed the saddle for my Charge Spoon last night. Much more comfortable on the ride in this morning. Will see if I still think the same after tonights 40 mile run.

Think the person that served me made the difference. I was in two minds about going for this bike or the Boardman. He was in no rush, was more than happy to let me try out both bikes, didn't "hover" but was there to offer advice (i.e. the perfect shop assistant).

SomethingLikeThat

Über Member
Cheers. ^_^ I really don't care about the brand name or what other people think about it. Having tried the bike out (and the Boardman) it was the one that "felt right" and ulitmately that's more important. Have stuck well over 100 miles on it now and loved every second.
It does the job, and from the sound of it a fine job, so who cares what the frame has on it.

Top Bottom