The New-Vintage Steel Road Bike Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I love the ride and aesthetic of old bikes but also the functionality of modern groupsets and my holy grail road bike would encompass both of these things.

Happily I see a handful of manufactures are offering traditional steel bikes / frames that will take modern gear, so this is a thread for such things - ideally frames with the following attributes:

- Steel
- Lugged
- Steel internally / externally lugged forks (no unicrown here please!)
- Horizontal top tube
- Quill stem
- Geared (no fixies / SS)
- 130mm rear axle spacing to take modern 8sp+ running gear
- Rim braked (although discs are also grand :smile: )
- Integral seatpost tube clamp

So far I've found the Cinelli Supercorsa:

cinellisc1.jpg

and Condor Classicso:

1286286835640-17k5bdrvizy9y-b50f689.jpg

Please add any more you might be aware of :smile:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I have a Condor Classico. With Campagnolo running gear.
I love it. I bought it as a retirement present for myself 4 years ago.
20190512_110101.jpg

midlife

Guru
have a wander through the LFGSS thread on "modern groupset on old frame" (MGOF) for additional ideas.....

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Thanks all - seems there are a lot more choices than I'd thought and there have been some beautiful examples posted :becool:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Modern components fit old frames easy=peasey 126 rear spacing will take 130 no problem, don't even really need to 'adjust' the rear triangle just 'spring' the axle in and after riding a while it'll relax enough to fit smoothly (you can bugger about with threaded rod and nuts if you like but you don't really need to) Ditto with HT11 BB's, they just screw in and the downtube shifters can be replaced with cable stops if you must have 'brifters' or in my case 'bar end' shifters
I've done 3 of mine (531 Raleigh 'Road Ace', my Raleigh Equipe and the 653 Time Trial bike) you will probably need to align the hanger as 9/10/11 speed rear mechs are a lot more sensitive but you should check that anyway.

Top Bottom