The new winter hack has arrived !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Picked this up today from a certain well known shop that tends to put forks on backwards:whistle:,thankfully my local branch does have competent staff.
Got it through my companies C2W for £16 a month net and it will be used for winter commuting and pootling around the park with the kids .Already changed the pedals to m530`s, got the shop to add mudgaurds so now all i have to do is add a rack, lights etc and dial in the seat position and we are ready to go !!
Carrera Subway Hybrid Disk 18 " £279.99
2013-07-28 15.52.01.jpg

Built for punishment

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Picked this up today from a certain well known shop that tends to put forks on backwards:whistle:,thankfully my local branch does have competent staff.
Got it through my companies C2W for £16 a month net and it will be used for winter commuting and pootling around the park with the kids .Already changed the pedals to m530`s, got the shop to add mudgaurds so now all i have to do is add a rack, lights etc and dial in the seat position and we are ready to go !!
Carrera Subway Hybrid Disk 18 " £279.99 View attachment 26869

Smart but brutal looking.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Good bikes those, I picked a Subway 1 (first version) up from GumTree for £45 recently for my brother, he absolutely loves it! Then my mate went and trumped me by finding one at the tip for a tenner lol

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Bikes like that make me miss the days of doing 30 milers around the local towpaths.
I need to do 30 miles in one go on any bike atm !,moving house + physio means i had 3 weeks off the bike completly and i have not done a club run in over 6 weeks so i am fat and unfit.
had a chance today and it chucked it down all day .

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
I need to do 30 miles in one go on any bike atm !,moving house + physio means i had 3 weeks off the bike completly and i have not done a club run in over 6 weeks so i am fat and unfit.
had a chance today and it chucked it down all day .

I know that feeling!

During the week I work 6 to 3.30. Tuesday and Thursday Im at Uni from 6 till 9. Its a 40 mile round trip if I want to go back home, so I usually go to the library and read. Usually I will do at least another evening in a wee, usually 2. So that 4 evenings a week, add in a bit of friends and family time, shopping, fixing the car and that sort of thing and theres no time.

I just have not had time for months, and when I do Im out of practice and seem really slow. Sometimes it gets me down how crap I am so even when I get the rare opportunity I sometimes don't take it because I know how I will be disappointed with myself.

(After writing that I sound really wussy.)

Wednesdays to-do list

1-Check tyres are inflated (latex tubes)
2-Go ride
3-That is all.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

I know that feeling!

During the week I work 6 to 3.30. Tuesday and Thursday Im at Uni from 6 till 9. Its a 40 mile round trip if I want to go back home, so I usually go to the library and read. Usually I will do at least another evening in a wee, usually 2. So that 4 evenings a week, add in a bit of friends and family time, shopping, fixing the car and that sort of thing and theres no time.

I just have not had time for months, and when I do Im out of practice and seem really slow. Sometimes it gets me down how crap I am so even when I get the rare opportunity I sometimes don't take it because I know how I will be disappointed with myself.

(After writing that I sound really wussy.)

Wednesdays to-do list

1-Check tyres are inflated (latex tubes)
2-Go ride
3-That is all.
Chin up !!!
You will get out there at some point so just keep that positive thought in mind , i only got my boardman back from where its been stored for a month untill i got my new bike storage sorted yesterday and it was like meeting an old friend , i was itching to get out today as i am on shutdown at work but spent the whole day relining the loft with tile underlay fabric so i was hot, dusty and cussing because i hit my fingers twice plus i slipped and cracked my head on a beam:wacko:

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Yesterday was the 1st time it was ridden to work , i had to adjust the seat set back and front mech high stop along with a longer stem but altogether satisfied ,in the future i will look at a full time disc rack. Here is a piccie in full commuter guise.
2014-01-28 10.24.02.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Perfect for winter, apart from the fact that you appear to have something odd hanging down from the centre of the rear wheel, is this to make it heavier? :smile:

It's a funny chain tensioner !:whistle:

The only thing would be to recommend a full rack, and full guards for winter commute. I've squeezed full guards on my MTB for winter as the off road route if filthy if I need to use it, and without full guards, I'd be covered head to toe. I've used ones like you've got fitted, and they help, but if it's particularly wet or muddy, you'll get covered.

Looks purposeful !!

Top Bottom