The next iteration - getting into space

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Article on the BBC news website

When I worked at BAe in the late 1980s, I spent just under a year on the team modelling possible designs for HOTOL (horizontal take-off and landing). The engine was a hybrid (jet engine then switching to rocket engine) - so the current investment is revisiting this. I was working on the airframe design, not the engines, but I vaguely recall that one of the problems with the engine was managing the entry gases that had to be slowed from supersonic/hypersonic speeds.

Article on the BBC news website

When I worked at BAe in the late 1980s, I spent just under a year on the team modelling possible designs for HOTOL (horizontal take-off and landing). The engine was a hybrid (jet engine then switching to rocket engine) - so the current investment is revisiting this. I was working on the airframe design, not the engines, but I vaguely recall that one of the problems with the engine was managing the entry gases that had to be slowed from supersonic/hypersonic speeds.
Concorde got around this sort of problem by using little movable ramps, in the intakes.

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Concorde got around this sort of problem by using little movable ramps, in the intakes.
I think the problem with the spaceplane is that there is much more slowing down to do, as it is travelling faster, so more heat to get rid of.

I posted mainly because of the sense of deja vu I got when reading the BBC article!

Top Bottom