The NZ heavy weight boxing champ is also an All Black

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I knew Sonny Bill Williams had had a few pro fights but I didn't think he was actually in line for a belt! But only 5 fights and NZ heavy weight champ? Not quite sure what that says.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/16945599
He's a big hard bugger, or the opposition are all wimps? :whistle:

OP
OP
Y

yello

I get the impression he's not an overly pleasant bloke, and a bit of a scrapper, but none-the-less what surprises me is that he was given the chance so quickly. I would have thought that there were many heavy weight boxers in NZ that have been waiting years for a title shot. Then along comes an All Black, promoters get all excited and see crowds and dollars, and Sonny Bill is on the card. Not saying he's not a good boxer but with only 4 fights before the title fight, he's hardly had a chance to prove it.

He's a great all round athlete. Played rugby league in the NRL and for New Zealand, rugby union for Toulon and New Zealand and then had a go at boxing too. He's irked quite a few people with some of his moves, especially his old NRL team he was under contract with when he moved to France. They were peed off and there was a bit of legal wrangling which got nasty. There' not a huge wealth of heavy weight talent in New Zealand. David Tua fights for Samoa (his cousin was an All Black but played league for Western Samoa when he had a successful move to league before going back to union) and he may be his only "local" serious threat but he might have even retired by now.

OP
OP
Y

yello

There' not a huge wealth of heavy weight talent in New Zealand.

That was what I was hoping was the situation. I know SBW's background, and reputation, and actually like to watch him play (well, run really, he's a tremendous ball carrier and near on unstoppable) but I didn't like the thought of him being given preferential treatment over guys that have been waiting longer.

That was what I was hoping was the situation. I know SBW's background, and reputation, and actually like to watch him play (well, run really, he's a tremendous ball carrier and near on unstoppable) but I didn't like the thought of him being given preferential treatment over guys that have been waiting longer.
Just had a quick look on BoxRec.com and Shane Cameron is a New Zealand boxer who fights at heavy weight. He holds several belts at a higher level that the New Zealand belt and is fighting higher caliber opponents so most likely less interested ina national belt. According to a wikipedia page on him the two may fight later but SBW also has his rugby career to look at.

Top Bottom