The old bike just doesn't feel right

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi to all.
The last few nights I've started to notice that my bike just doesn't feel as good ( comfortable) as it used to on a long ride out. Tonight whilst riding i have been trying to pin point what the problem may be and I've come to the conclusion my legs don't seem to stretch out enough whilst pedaling. I'm only talking by a small amount but enough for me to notice.
So I've either started growing ( unlikely at my tender age) or the seat post has slipped into the post slightly. As it happens i also thought this unlikely as the post clamp is pretty tight but after studying some older pictures of my bike last year and 2000 miles younger i can physically see that the post has slowly sunk into the frame over the months. After undoing the clamp i was surprised to see it had dropped by 3/4 " because i made a mark on the post last year for a reference.
We all check for the normal visual signs of wear and tear such as wheels etc but often we forget things that can move very slightly over the months like seat posts and bars. I wouldn't of noticed, if it wasn't for studying some old photos of my bike.
All the best

Johnny

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
A bit of tape on the seat post works for me on any bike that the post might move on.

gaijintendo

Veteran
A bit of tape on the seat post works for me on any bike that the post might move on.
I have black electrical tape on my chainstay, where the cables would be rubbing the headtube forks and frame, and trying to stop my raceblade xls shifting (never screwed them in place, tape doesn't work much).
One more place to stick some! Yay!

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Surprised you didnt notice it before that.Just wearing shoes with thicker/thinner soles has me fiddling with the saddle height.
I think its because it's happened over such a a long period of time that i haven't really noticed it to be honest.

Top Bottom