The old lock question...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RaginAnt

Many thanks after having my second bike stolen I've taken the plunge and bought one of these.
They are the Nut's don't think you could buy a better lock

Gez73

Veteran
This is my lock too although I am unable to vouch for the bracket as mine is left in work and has never been mounted on the bike itself for transportation. It's a secure yard so no chance of interference or tampering when not in use. It's a great lock and well worth the money. The key code card for ordering spares is a great idea too although you get three keys with the lock anyway.

tadpole

Locks like that are great if you don't mind the wheels getting nicked, I've taken to using a double looped platic coated 1.5m cable, and a heavy duty padlock. long enough to pass through both wheels the frame and still fasten it to some immovable object.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
It's my lock too. Sold Secure Gold, which is the standard to look for.
Tadpole, any cable lock is utterly worthless: a pair of handcroppers will snip it in a second.

tadpole

It's my lock too. Sold Secure Gold, which is the standard to look for.
Tadpole, any cable lock is utterly worthless: a pair of hand-croppers will snip it in a second.
I doubt most criminals would have to hand the ratchet croppers needed to cut through the 15mm double braided coated cable I use. Ok a bolt cropper would work its teeth through it in a few minutes. but a battery angle grinder will eat the d-lock in less time than it takes to say it. but anything will fall give time. All my cable does is make it more effort that it is worth, to cut through the cable and then cut off the padlock. when there are bikes to strip of parts like unlocked wheel(s).

CopperBrompton

What's the make & model of the cable lock? I originally wanted one but a friend in the security business told me there isn't any on the market that would last more than two seconds.
And sure, an angle-grinder will get through anything: if a thief really wants your bike, he'll have it. But there's a huge difference between a lock that requires an angle-grinder and one that can be instantly cropped using something that fits into a pocket.

tadpole

Your Security friend may be right. I had the double braided cable made by aerial mast riggers at work, the padlock is a Master M187 60mm shrouded. they use power ratchet croppers to shear the cable, and metal ends were crimped to make loops

GFamily

Über Member
What's the make & model of the cable lock? I originally wanted one but a friend in the security business told me there isn't any on the market that would last more than two seconds.
And sure, an angle-grinder will get through anything: if a thief really wants your bike, he'll have it. But there's a huge difference between a lock that requires an angle-grinder and one that can be instantly cropped using something that fits into a pocket.

Usual advice is to use 2 types of lock and to spend 10% of your bike's value on security.

Like the bloke and his mate trying to outrun the lion - you don't need to be faster than the lion, you only need to be faster than the other guy - so 2 locks makes you safer than the bike next door with only one.

Me? I've got a Brompton so my bike sits under my desk on the 5th floor and comes with me when I go shopping. I love my Brompton!

CopperBrompton

Me too - a bike you never have to leave outside is a wonderful thing.
I'm also fortunate in that my main bike is an unlikely target for thieves as it's such a small market (and that's assuming they can figure out how to steer it, which is one of the more common questions I get asked!).

monkeylc

Über Member
Some bike locks offer 2k money back if stolen,but if they cut an inch out the Ali frame and sell the rest (wheels,bars,chainset,seat post,saddle etc...... they don't pay out!
At the end of the day,if they want it,it's gone mate.:cursing:

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I have the Granit and would also recommend it, its been out in all weathers and had no problems. I also use it together with a cheapy Abus Cobra cable for securing the wheels to the Granit, which only costs a few quid. The additional cable is a springy coil so can be wrapped tightly onto the Dlock so its all out of the way while riding :smile:

I dont leave it locked up often, mostly when im out with 2 friends so we have 3 bikes locked together to an immovable object with 1 Granit, 2 Kryptos and 3 cables, all black on black bikes, it looks like ninja spaghetti and takes a while to undo with the keys :smile:

Crankarm

Guru
Locks like that are great if you don't mind the wheels getting nicked, I've taken to using a double looped platic coated 1.5m cable, and a heavy duty padlock. long enough to pass through both wheels the frame and still fasten it to some immovable object.

Don't use any cable. Just don't. Bolt cutters will go through them like they are cheese. I see so many remnants of them in Cambridge. Unless the cable is 1) of the type for mooring a car ferry/oil tanker or 2) a full on motorbike lock which are also pretty heavy but even these could be cut, don't use them. Always use a quality D-lock. These can be identified as Abus preferably the Granit X Plus or Extreme models. I use x2 Granit X Plus D-locks and a hardened really heavy chain with an equally heavy f*** off pad lock to lock my bike. So three locks.

Top Bottom