The old lock question...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tadpole

Don't use any cable. Just don't. Bolt cutters will go through them like they are cheese. I see so many remnants of them in Cambridge. Unless the cable is 1) of the type for mooring a car ferry/oil tanker or 2) a full on motorbike lock which are also pretty heavy but even these could be cut, don't use them. Always use a quality D-lock. These can be identified as Abus preferably the Granit X Plus or Extreme models.

Your Security friend may be right. I had the double braided cable made by aerial mast riggers at work, the padlock is a Master M187 60mm shrouded. they use power ratchet croppers to shear the cable, and metal ends were crimped to make loops
Do Keep up
The cable in question is used to keep 60m masts from swaying in high winds, it took a pair of powered croppers cut the cable when it was made for me.

Crankarm

Guru
Do Keep up
The cable in question is used to keep 60m masts from swaying in high winds, it took a pair of powered croppers cut the cable when it was made for me.

Fine, but can it with stand bolt croppers? Don't say you haven't been warned.

tadpole

Fine, but can it with stand bolt croppers? Don't say you haven't been warned.

AS I stated earlier

I doubt most criminals would have to hand the ratchet croppers needed to cut through the 15mm double braided coated cable I use. Ok a bolt cropper would work its teeth through it in a few minutes. but a battery angle grinder will eat the d-lock in less time than it takes to say it. but anything will fall give time. All my cable does is make it more effort that it is worth, to cut through the cable and then cut off the padlock. when there are bikes to strip of parts like unlocked wheel(s).
All you ever pay for is time, I'd cut through the best d lock in the world in a few moments with a heavy-Duty 24-Volt 4-1/2" Inch Cordless Angle Grinder, seconds it all it would take. (amazon sell them for £300) but what tweeker has that kind of tools in his pocket. Same with boltcutters man enough to chomp through 15mm double braided cable, It would take a couple of minutes. Why would the scrote waste time on my bike, worth £120 (£10 worth of smack) when some monkey has locked his £500 (£50 worth of smack) bike up with a £10 lock from Halfords.

Crankarm

Guru
AS I stated earlier

All you ever pay for is time, I'd cut through the best d lock in the world in a few moments with a heavy-Duty 24-Volt 4-1/2" Inch Cordless Angle Grinder, seconds it all it would take. (amazon sell them for £300) but what tweeker has that kind of tools in his pocket. Same with boltcutters man enough to chomp through 15mm double braided cable, It would take a couple of minutes. Why would the scrote waste time on my bike, worth £120 (£10 worth of smack) when some monkey has locked his £500 (£50 worth of smack) bike up with a £10 lock from Halfords.

You tell me. You seem to know rather a lot about nicking bikes.

evo456

Über Member
Back to topic..... I also have the Granit X 54, seems like a solid lock (does weigh a bit) definitely have to check whether the 23cm or 30cm version is right for you. I too was worried about the bracket so purchased the TeXKF bracket - which fits different shapes of tubes. Happy to report the bracket when tighten is secure- mine's on the seat downtube with the weight of the lock on, it hasn't slid down. Also have a 15mm cable to secure the front wheel, may not stop some folks but makes my bike a bit unattractive to chancers. I don't think I would like to carry 2 D-locks, one is enough just release the front and lock it up with the back wheel and a bit of frame.

crazy580

Some bike locks offer 2k money back if stolen,but if they cut an inch out the Ali frame and sell the rest (wheels,bars,chainset,seat post,saddle etc...... they don't pay out!
At the end of the day,if they want it,it's gone mate.:cursing:
With these money back offers, you need to show the lock has failed, so you need to show the broken lock, but most thieves take the lock with them to remove any evidence.

Sca1ey

At the end of the day it's about making your bike more hassle to steal than the next one.

monkeylc

Über Member
try bolt cropping a 12mm steel cable mate,it just kinks!
have a look at the blades on a pair of bolt croppers and it'll all become clear....

Top Bottom