The Old Pedal Debate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

junkie_ball

Ok so i've read about the differences between SPD & SPD-SL but i have one question hopefully with a simple answer (as if!). I ride a specialized trip-cross which i have put full road tyres on as i don't use it as a cycle cross bike. I had intended to use it on some light off road canal paths etc when i first brought it hence the reason for going for a cycle cross rather than a full road bike (if only i could turn back time) i also fitted some shimano spd MTB style pedals on it as i wanted to be able to walk.

I am now considering two things the first to buy another full road bike (maybe another thread for bike ideas may follow! ;)) but also switching to the SPD-SL type pedal as i've heard they are better on road bikes for longer rides. As i am now riding between 50-100 miles at a time i was wondering if they make that much difference as i haven't had the opportunity to try any and don't want to fork out money for new shoes and pedals if it really doesn't make much difference.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I've used SPDs on my touring and road bikes for rides up to 250km with no problems.

bikeman66

Ok so i've read about the differences between SPD & SPD-SL but i have one question hopefully with a simple answer (as if!). I ride a specialized trip-cross which i have put full road tyres on as i don't use it as a cycle cross bike. I had intended to use it on some light off road canal paths etc when i first brought it hence the reason for going for a cycle cross rather than a full road bike (if only i could turn back time) i also fitted some shimano spd MTB style pedals on it as i wanted to be able to walk.

I am now considering two things the first to buy another full road bike (maybe another thread for bike ideas may follow! ;)) but also switching to the SPD-SL type pedal as i've heard they are better on road bikes for longer rides. As i am now riding between 50-100 miles at a time i was wondering if they make that much difference as i haven't had the opportunity to try any and don't want to fork out money for new shoes and pedals if it really doesn't make much difference.
Hi Junkie_ball,

I have the same pedals on my road bike and MTB. Initially, I just stuck the off road pedals on my new road bike because that was all I had at the time, but to be quite honest I wouldn't change them now.

My pedals are Time ATAC's, which aren't massive, and to my mind don't look too out of place on the road bike (although some pure roadies would probably have nightmares if they saw them). My shoes are perhaps on the more race oriented side, so the soles are pretty stiff but still OK to walk in.

Another thing I really appreciate about the Time ATAC pedals is the generous amount of float, which helps with slightly dodgy knees. I guess the whole set-up might look a little clunky, but in all honesty, I like the fact that it works for ME. There are times when I find the ability to walk sensibly in cycle shoes a real bonus, and with a slightly stiffer MTB shoe/pedal combination I've got the best of both worlds. Everyone to his own, but this really works for me. I suppose a pair of superlight roadie pedals and shoes to match might look the part, but for my application they won't provide an astounding performance transformation. One thing they will do however, is cost me an arm and a leg when I've already got a totally successful set-up.

OP
OP
junkie_ball

junkie_ball

It's not the pedals, it's the shoes. You can get just as stiff MTB shoes as Road shoes now. The stiffness of the soles make all the difference.

Interesting never thought along those line of the shoes i currently have are off road ones with chunky tread block and originally studs for grip off road which i have removed. Um maybe i will go for a pair of stiffer shoes that will take a SPD fitting will leave a few more pounds in the budget should i decide to upgrade the bike. ;)

Hi Junkie_ball,

Another thing I really appreciate about the Time ATAC pedals is the generous amount of float, which helps with slightly dodgy knees.

Interesting point about the float as i forgot to mention i have a foot that points at an almost 2 o'clock angle so do like the float a SPD gives having not used the SPD-SL type do you think i may suffer with lack of float?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Interesting never thought along those line of the shoes i currently have are off road ones with chunky tread block and originally studs for grip off road which i have removed. Um maybe i will go for a pair of stiffer shoes that will take a SPD fitting will leave a few more pounds in the budget should i decide to upgrade the bike. ;)

Something like Specialized BG Sport have very stiff soles, and wont break the bank
speci%20cip%F5.jpg

Attachments

• speci%20cip%F5.jpg
    speci%20cip%F5.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 27

bikeman66

Interesting point about the float as i forgot to mention i have a foot that points at an almost 2 o'clock angle so do like the float a SPD gives having not used the SPD-SL type do you think i may suffer with lack of float?
Never used Shimano pedals Junkie_ball, so perhaps not in a position to comment, but I have a similar situation to you in that I walk with my feet turned out a bit. Not such an issue on the bike, but a few degrees of float is definitely a real bonus for me. The Time ATAC's give me this and I have made a bit of allowance for my natural foot angle in the positioning and setting-up of the cleat.

I guess the real problem is that you won't know how any given shoe/pedal combination will affect your knees until you've paid your money and ridden them a few times, which is why I've always gone for pedals with a generous amount of float.

OP
OP
junkie_ball

junkie_ball

I think i am going to start with new shoes but buy a pair that will take both types of cleats so i will still have my options open regarding the pedal. I definitely need some float as even with the cleat set over as far as possible on my right shoe and the float i still manage to wear the paint off the crank to nice shiny metal! :sad:

iggibizzle

I use the 2 bolt spds on both road bikes so I can interchange bikes shoes. And use road bike looking mtb (hybrid I suppose) bike style shoes so I don't walk like a mallard. And can walk across wet grass, down wet slopes etc without an issue.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Something like Specialized BG Sport have very stiff soles, and wont break the bank
speci%20cip%F5.jpg

Another advantage of Spesh Body Geometry shoes is they tend to come in wider fittings, suitable for us clodhopping Anglo Saxons.

Shimano shoes are fine, but tend to be narrower, almost Italian in fit.

Of course, if the shoe fits, wear it.

Attachments

• speci%20cip%F5.jpg
    speci%20cip%F5.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
junkie_ball

junkie_ball

Ok so decided to buy some new shoes and went for a pair of shimano R107 (link: http://www.athleteshop.com/shimano-r107-bike-shoe-men-black) they seemed to be cheaper than most places at only £60 whereas most other sites were around £90, i get an email today after placing the order on a 1-3 day delivery saying they now never had any stock and offered me pearl izumi trip fly IV (link: http://www.athleteshop.com/pearl-izumi-tri-fly-iv-80244). Now if I'm honest i had never heard of this manufacturer although a quick google search later i found they supply triathlon gear. Are these shoes any good? I have held off accepting the alternative as i did find them on another site for £50 but the majority of sites they are selling for around £80 do you guys think this is a good substitute and that they are about the same quality or better than the shimano R107's?

MikeW-71

Veteran
Pearl Izumi are a good brand, though I've not tried their shoes. Wiggle are doing the R107's at £76 if it helps. Personally if a shop did that to me I'd just cancel the order, get a refund and buy what I wanted elsewhere.

I use Shimano shoes, and they have been totally excellent.

If you get the R107's just be aware that if you use SPD cleats on them, they will work absolutely fine, but when walking you will be walking directly on the steel cleat, which will be super-slippery. Be careful.

OP
OP
junkie_ball

junkie_ball

Pearl Izumi are a good brand, though I've not tried their shoes. Wiggle are doing the R107's at £76 if it helps. Personally if a shop did that to me I'd just cancel the order, get a refund and buy what I wanted elsewhere.

I use Shimano shoes, and they have been totally excellent.

If you get the R107's just be aware that if you use SPD cleats on them, they will work absolutely fine, but when walking you will be walking directly on the steel cleat, which will be super-slippery. Be careful.

Cancelling the order was my initial reaction TBH but thought i'd try and see if the alternative was any good. Thanks for the heads up on th eR107's from wiggle as i buy most of my gear from them plus i will get haribo if i order from them! ;)

Top Bottom