The Olympic Road Race 2012 - Post Mortem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raindog

er.....
:laugh: Zinged myself proper.

I can't half talk some tripe at times.
don't we all ^_^

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
It was a moderately entertaining race. The best man on the day won. The women's race was far more aggressive and exciting. I really can't get worked up about nationalities and home riders.

yello

When I first read the OP a few days back I thought it could actually be an educational thread for me. I'll happily admit to knowing next to nothing about racing tactics so thought I might learnt something. I did think the tone of the OP would upset a few but hoped that'd get ignored (I am hopefully naive sometimes) in the name of an interesting discussion between experts. It is a shame it didn't happen.

I think FM was right. The discussion in the original thread covered the bases and was, for me, more informative.

Just read the OP and first thought is the author is a bit of an arse.

Do you have to be an expert on a subject before you can have an opinion,

Does that I can't discuss international football, rugby or cricket because I've never played any of those above a mediocre club standard?

oldroadman

Veteran
Amongst all this fascinating exchange of opinion, somewhere along the line the women's race was mentioned. Where on the first pass of Box Hill, Emma Pooley put the big hammer down, and promptly Lucy Martin (who was a lead out rider for Lizzie Armistead) was out of the back. Lap 2 of Box Hill, and Nicole Cooke is out of the back through the village, and only regained the peloton by clinging to another riders wheel for several kms, then spent plenty of time in the back half of the peloton. So, 2 from 4 selected were not any use to the cause. However Emma rode well in defence when Lizzie slipped away in a group of 4, reduced to 3 by a puncture in the truly horrible conditions. In a sprint with Vos, Lizzie would maybe win 1 in 20, so a silver placing was the best likely, and she got it.
Observations:

Cooke was a mistake, and maybe got selected on the basis of being able to "rise to the occasion". She didn't, despite the post-race comment about defending. Hard to do from the back.
Martin was too young and badly positioned for the pace set on the first climb. Tactics may have been a bit adrift, it's not the plan to lose your sprinters lead out rider if possible.
Sharon Laws rode a stormer in the Nationals, and would have been my pick in place of Cooke.
Tactics would be a bit changed, before Emmas hard ride on the first climb, Lucy needed to be near the front to a) let a gap open, and b) ensure she was still in the peloton by the hill top. Then sit tight and wait for others to chase a known good climber/time trialist, move up the peloton, and sit out the second climb. She then may have been able to defend or help Lizzie.

All that said, it was a race of attrition in foud weather for the second half, with a little element of luck (regarding punctures). In those conditions, Lizzie proved she is the best we have when the going gets tough. Overall, with hindsight, 8/10 for tactics, 7/10 for selection (reduce because of the Cooke/Laws error), 10/10 for courage from the riders.
Overall result a definite 9/10, only because 2nd is good, even when a win is unlikely
All observations based on watching the race from the inside, in a priviledged position.

oldroadman

Veteran
[QUOTE 1986355, member: 1314"]First post in the Pro-cycle room but as I've cycled the Olympic course with some peeps from here, I can speak from experience. Team GB did not win for 3 obvious reasons - diet, attitude and equipment.

Diet: They did not stop off at that nice pub in Gomshall for a beer and a pie (though bangers and mash would've done),

Attitude: As they passed through Kingston Wiggo gave a wave and smile to my 9 year old. He needs to toughen up and stop being so nice.

Equipment: The tops don't have pockets for storing wallets. Which is why they couldn't stop off at Gomshall.

My CV is already in to work alongside Brailsford.[/quote]

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Top Bottom