The Olympics ! (spoilers etc..)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

asterix

Comrade Member
I'll really miss the track cycling now; mountain biking and BMX don't cut the mustard for me. I'm glad to be shot of Hugh Porter's banal and patronising commentary though.
If they can do sailing in Weymouth, why couldn't they bring the mountain biking up here to the Lake District where it belongs?

They could do the sailing there too. I've sailed on Ullswater. When the wind blows off those slopes that's when the men are sorted out from the bouys.

Keith Oates

Janner
It was past midnight here but I stayed up to watch Vicky and was gutted when she was beaten. However she is still a great cyclist and has given us all a lot of pleasure over the years.

Chris Hoy was something else tonight. As others have said, it looked as if he was going to be beaten and then he found the energy to give one last surge and that made his win. I then went to sleep a happy man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Slaav

Veteran
It is a sad day fro British cycling when we walked away from teh Velodrome last night slightly despondent and downbeat.

2 Golds and a Silver in one track session should be incredible (which it obviously is....) but still we felt a bit flat.

What a position to be in when we 'expect' 3 Golds out of 3?

BUt no matter how low (or not quite as high as we expected; to be fair) at least we are not French or Australian eh?

All the above tongue slightly in cheek but you get the meaning.

Awesome - truly brilliant experience! (And hot enough in there that I didn't have to pee once during the session :smile:

Well done Team GB!

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Awesome - truly brilliant experience! (And hot enough in there that I didn't have to pee once during the session :smile:

Well done Team GB!

You're not wrong. Drank almost a litre of water and never once needed to pee.

This is the sort of thing that happens to other people, but this time we (BrumAlison, BrumBabytobe and myself) saw it all live.
The day started off happy, with successes in the semi-finals, but disappointment for Laura in the Scratch race, loosing yet another point to the Omnium leader. It was all subdued during the start of the last part , but the noise levels rose slowly, reached deafening levels during Laura's attempt at the 500m TT,and the place exploded when she came up on the board as "Position 1" at the end. Expectations had risen. Victoria gave us a little bit of disappointment, but it was nice to wave her track career a glorious "goodbye", and then Lord Hoy (to-be) treated us to a roller-coaster of emotions. I think it was the same springs under our seats that threw us to our feet during the last lap were also under Chris's bike as he did that thing that we always hope for in such circumstances, but never see - fading to second, and then screaming back to first and Gold from the last bend.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
The strangest thing about watching the track cycling is seeing the athletes before and after the races.

I presume that it is because they don't want to remove their cycling shoes, but as soon as they finish a race, there is someone to take their track bike off them, and someone else to get them back on a road bike. They then pedal that road bike past all the press, and then have the option of circling the winner's rostrum, heading back to a chair, or going onto the rollers on their road bike to keep the legs going. Only very rarely are they seen walking. Its like they either have forgotten how to walk, or just don't want to.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Is it just me or does anyone else think the riders on the BMX bikes look like people who should grow up and ride real bikes? They look real saddos to me.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Is it just me or does anyone else think the riders on the BMX bikes look like people who should grow up and ride real bikes? They look real saddos to me.

I used to race BMX back when I was a kid in the early 80s when it was just for kids, and I agree it looks odd seeing massive adults doing it.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Yeah, me too. I know virtually nothing about BMX - I only learned that BMX stood for bicycle motocross while listening to the commentary this afternoon - but they look a bit like they've all stolen kids' bikes and they're desperately trying to escape on them. Oh, and that single front brake with the flapping cable looks next to useless - a few riders managed to crash into the barriers beyond the end.

Falling off also looks exceptionally painful.

PaulB

Legendary Member
And don't forget to wear 'grunge' clothes. It must be sponsored by Metallica or Slipknot or someone equally gimp-ish.

:smile:

Used to work with someone in their 20s who came to work on one. I found it bizzare to to say the least.

And no panniers.

Top Bottom