The Open

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

albal

Guru
Note the biggest golf competition is not on terrestrial tv. Highlights daily 2000-2200hr. Five live is just not the same. Can't listen to it. Oh and the license fee just increased to £150. Clearly they are more interested in paying Mr lineker large sums of money to present a 'highlights' programme. To add to other tv work the guy does.

Wondering if Rory has a chance to win come Saturday night will 's*y' hand BBC a live broadcast Sunday? Seriously doubt it.
Sorry don't do s*y.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Note the biggest golf competition is not on terrestrial tv. Highlights daily 2000-2200hr. Five live is just not the same. Can't listen to it. Oh and the license fee just increased to £150. Clearly they are more interested in paying Mr lineker large sums of money to present a 'highlights' programme. To add to other tv work the guy does.

Wondering if Rory has a chance to win come Saturday night will 's*y' hand BBC a live broadcast Sunday? Seriously doubt it.
Sorry don't do s*y.
I don’t do Sky either but do have the Eurosport Player app on the ipad. Don’t suppose it’s on that, or is it Sky Sports no doubt.

Slick

Guru
It's been that way for some time now, money talks although the cricket world cup being shared with channel four was a ray of sunshine despite my total ambivalence to the sport.

You know there will be links on YouTube or Facebook.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Taking major sports off free-to-air is a bad mistake in the long term, despite the immediate increase in money coming in. Golf courses are closing, there are fewer youngsters playing cricket and Moto GP and Superbikes have become so low profile that most of the press don't even give them a mention any more.

Formula 1 is starting to head the same way, lose the casual viewers and you lose the vast majority of the audience.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Sadly every sport is now after the quick buck. I agree it is killing some of the minority sports, but darts seem to be bucking the trend.
You can’t blame the BBC, they simply can’t afford to pay for the rights. And nor can ITV or channel 4.
The latest Sky football deal is £3.6 billion. The BBCs entire annum budget is only £4.9 billion. Imagine the uproar if the BBC spent three quarters of your license fee on football.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

Sorry don't do s*y.

It's not the BBC's fault that it isn't on the BBC. Target your ire at those in the R&A who decided to take Sky's money. Cricket did the same but that is a sport that is always short of cash so I can understand that. Golf has plenty of cash so it wasn't necessary to chase the Sky money, just greedy

Dave7

Legendary Member
I have Virgin with the full sports package. Apart from sport I watch little else. I really hate paying the charges and am seriously close to cancelling.
I would really miss it but honestly, for the hours I watch it Vs the cost I know its got to go.

Drago

Legendary Member
BT TV here. All the Sky channels, bit for a fraction of buying them via Sky, and I don't need a dustbin lid bolted to my Grade 2 listed brickwork.

D

Deleted member 26715

Shame all football isn't all behind a paywall, there's still far too much of it on terrestrial

D

Deleted member 26715

I can point you to about 70 free-to-air channels that never show it at all.
Yes but why should it be on prime time BBC or ITV there are loads of channels only showing it, leave it there.

Top Bottom