The Oscars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I see Chloe Zhao won the best director Oscar for Nomadland. Shouldn't the female for director be directrix? Also many films have a second unit, who do action sequences, various atmosphere establishing shots that don't require the principle actors, special effects sequences, and so on. The second units have their own directors. So if there are Oscars for best leading actor, best leading actress, best supporting actor, best supporting actress, shouldn't there be Oscars for best director, best directrix, best second unit director and best second unit directrix?

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
What?
Why not best female sound recording, best female editing etc etc

D

Deleted member 26715

But where do you stop, if you start to include gender differentials, what about race differentials, religious differentials,

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
There was also disappointment he did not show up, either in person, or on zoom. But then the actor they thought would win would not have turned up either. Got to say I was surprised Anthony Hopkins did not show up for the zoom thing. Some flunky could have woken him up just before the best actor award, and he could have adapted one of his former acceptance speeches. It does not sound like a lot of effort.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I see there was disquiet in some quarters that easily the best actor won the award for best actor. I mean, thats racist. Apparently.
The organisers dropped the ball by setting up the final award as a huge climax without actually knowing who had won.
Which at least shows the results aren’t fixed.

There is no oscar for stunt coordinator which is what a lot of 2nd units do.
I think separating the oscars into male and female awards is not right. There should be at least 3 classifications of gender but I would be happier with 7. I think this would add a lot of variety to the oscar award ceremony.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
I think separating the oscars into male and female awards is not right. There should be at least 3 classifications of gender but I would be happier with 7. I think this would add a lot of variety to the oscar award ceremony.

I can't tell if this is serious or not.

Drago

Legendary Member
According to what Mini D is indoctinated with taught at school there are something like 57 different genders. Lots of scope there for expanding the Oscar categories, and Heinz would make a fantastic sponsor.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I've idly wondered how long the best actress tag can survive. I believe the term is frowned on these days as a sort of diminutive derivation from actor. Women actors these days are, I believe, actors. How Hollywood - about as PC/woke/whatever as it gets - has lived with it this long is a mystery. But what's the alternative? Best Man Actor and Best Woman Actor? Best Actor Brackets Male, Best Actor Brackets Female? It's a poser...

AuroraSaab

Veteran
I assume having Best Actress and Best Actor is a reflection of the fact that most films have a male lead so there are fewer opportunities for women to get a big role that would garner award attention. As Alan Rickman said, 'Actors don't win Oscars. Roles win Oscars'.

Most of the voters in the Academy never actually see all the films they are voting on, so much of it is due to the amount of publicity and hype you can get for your actor or movie.

It's not as corrupt as the Grammys though. That has no credibility at all.

AuroraSaab

Veteran

Well apparently sex isn't binary*, it's a spectrum. I don't see why we should stop at 7.

(* of course it is really)

Drago

Legendary Member
I've idly wondered how long the best actress tag can survive. I believe the term is frowned on these days as a sort of diminutive derivation from actor. Women actors these days are, I believe, actors. How Hollywood - about as PC/woke/whatever as it gets - has lived with it this long is a mystery. But what's the alternative? Best Man Actor and Best Woman Actor? Best Actor Brackets Male, Best Actor Brackets Female? It's a poser...
They're all thespians.

That said, when I was a kid the word "thespians" is what adults used when discussing lesbians in the presence of children. Imagine my dismay when I turned 18 and hired a hard core thespian film on video, only to get the 1953 version of Julius Caesar with Sir John Gieulgud.

Best Actor
Best Actor/Woman.
Note that the award is for best Actor/Woman and not the other way around.

Top Bottom