The packed lunch thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GetFatty

Über Member
I made one of my incredibly rare trips to my office today so made a packed lunch. It's 10.07 and there's none left.

Jody

Stubborn git
Ideally in future I'd like to source some plain chicken from the butchers (which, if owt like the other meats will be better quality and cheaper) and bulk-cook it myself, but that's a bridge too far currently.

So, for the purposes of both casual conversation and inspiration; what's in your lunchbox?

No inspiration here as I tend to eat the same thing on repeat for a couple of years at a time.

I used to batch cook chicken with a little piri seasoning from the butchers to portion up but gave up after a year or two.

One decent value was Aldi Piri chicken kebabs that come frozen in 1kg packs. I'd do 3-4 at a time as they take 1.5 hours to cook. Portion up in 90g bags and then microwave at work for a hot piri chicken baguette.

Crisp choice... chicken

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Going slightly off topic, while painting (with other contractors) the outside of a new building on an industrial estate in 1995, we were having our lunch break inside the building. I remember one bloke from Wales had a jar of Branston Pickle. After spooning some out onto his sandwich and pie he offered other workers a dollop, but only after licking the top and side of the jar! :ohmy: Some took him up on his offer, but I certainly didn't! Not only do I not like anything pickled, but the thought of someone's goz on my packed lunch didn't seem quite appealing!!xx(:unsure:

Haggis & IrnBru yesterday for dinner, at work, yesterday morning
IMG_9631.jpeg

Haslet & picallili, in ‘wraps’ for todays meal-break

Alex321

Veteran
Haggis & IrnBru yesterday for dinner, at work, yesterday morning
View attachment 725459

Haslet & picallili, in ‘wraps’ for todays meal-break

That is the same brand of haggis I have a few times a year. Suspect it is the only one available in most supermarkets down here.

My wife doesn't like it, but knows I do, so buys it for me a 3-4 times a year, it usually does me three meals.

That is the same brand of haggis I have a few times a year. Suspect it is the only one available in most supermarkets down here.

My wife doesn't like it, but knows I do, so buys it for me a 3-4 times a year, it usually does me three meals.
One of my colleagues is Scottish, from Motherwell (l think?), it’s a brand he approves of
Although, sometimes l’ll take the (ASDA?) haggis in a tin, just to wind him up
Telling him it’s a product of Spain’!
(it isn’t, but l don’t let him look at the tin)

I had these in Inverness a few years ago, very nice too!
Morrisons, l think?

IMG_0454.jpeg

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm only in the office a couple of days a week these days, and often forget. But pre-covid my packed lunch was normally a couple of flatbread wraps, containing salad, coleslaw, stuff like that and maybe some cheese or ham. It still is when I remember to make it.

A, that Simon Howie haggis is stocked here in Tesco (Ely) all year round. As is their black pudding. Both are very nice :hungry:

As I'm usually at home, lunch tends to be wholemeal toast with some charcuterie and cheese, fruit and tea. If I'm out-and-about, then it's the default of a cheese & chutney sandwich, a kit kat, a packet of crisps, a tangerine and a banana. Oh, and either a bidon of water (summer) or flask of herbal tea (winter). All easy-to-eat and packaging is recyclable / compostable. Sometimes I might duck into McD, but that's pretty rare.

When I was office based, many, many moons ago, then it was a sandwich and pastry from a local independent bakery (a bit spendy) but more usually a tupperware full of salad, usually pasta, potato or bulgur wheat based, with lots of assorted veg, pulses and either tinned tuna or hard boiled egg or something of that ilk.

Top Bottom