The pathetic debacle that is Christmas shopping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
Keep calm tomorrow BTFB. Be an oasis of calm. It only happens once a year - grin and bear it.

It is BLOODY AWFUL though :biggrin:.

I learnt years ago that it's poo and I try to be more organised (but not as organised as Cathryn :blush:). For exactly the reasons she says. I've got one present to buy and I know exactly where it is and I'm going getting it tomorrow. The fact that it's a 35 mile round trip on my bike does help :biggrin:.

I always save a day off work for the end of the year so I don't have to waste a weekend doing sh*pp*ng..

Speicher said:
A c*r, second-hand, too embarassed on a cycling forum to mention what sort :blush:. *must wrap the key, and put it under the tree for a surprise on Christmas Day*.

Wait! I'm getting something............There's a fighter plane making the shape of an S in the sky...................No wait! There's nine fighter planes............ and three reindeer, very festive.................................Ah no! It's gone................

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Crackle said:
Wait! I'm getting something............There's a fighter plane making the shape of an S in the sky...................No wait! There's nine fighter planes............ and three reindeer, very festive.................................Ah no! It's gone................

Oh yes, you're getting very warm, especially with the turbo fan on :blush:

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
Aaah, Chrimbo...fighting your way through crowds of paranoid androids and subterrenean homesick aliens all looking for stuff to put under their fake plastic trees and wishing they were fitter happier....just be calm grasshopper, and think of a finger pointing at the night sky.If you concentrate on the finger, then you miss the glory of the heavens...

Melvil said:
I've got a little dilemma as regards xmas shopping - I've bought my nearest and dearest a fairly 'big' present but it's tradition in her family (and mine) to give a fair number of small presents, so really I should get her some small things as well but, well, I'm not sure I'll be able to face the crowds without going postal! Any suggestions on small present ideas so I can complete my shopping mission without insanity ensuing??

Haberdashery! I usually trawl John Lewis - there is always a need for a mending kit, a selection of repair threads, scissors, useful magnifying thingies, small stitching kits, Victorinox "credit card" knife(always useful if you want to cut your borrowing...) shoe brushes blah blah - ideal 'useful' gifts!

SamNichols

I'm hardened to it. I planned it well, and did it all today in less than an hour. I don't mind the crowds too much, and don't get irritated by the process of it particularly. It's all in the mind.

bonj2

if you know what you're getting it's ok.
It's the folk who go in places like meadowhall thinking "i'll see if i can see something" that get stressed, 'cos invariably theynever do.

spesh

As much as I enjoy the exchange of gifts on Christmas Day, I don't mind saying that I have a particular dislike of going shopping in December.

Usually, I have a pretty good idea of what I'm going to get, but it's the fighting one's way through the apparently braindead hordes of zombie Chrimboids that sends my stress levels soaring...

Fortunately, I only have to get presents for my immediate family, and I managed that in one shopping trip to Chichester* at the start of the month.

*Okay, so Chi' was full of Chrimboids, but they were a better class of Chrimboid compared with what's infesting Pompey....

Speicher said:
Absolutely, no queues, no busy car parks, no carrying heavy, or large parcels. Easy to compare prices. Free delivery on some sites. Even when there isn't free delivery, the charges are less than the petrol, parking fees, and the cost of the things you buy which you did not need.

Today, I did go shopping, I went to a furniture shop today, only me and two other customers B), A very pleasant assistant :smile: helped me to measure the co**ee table, oops coffee table (not in Tea? now) that I might buy in the sale in January. No pressure, no hassle. ;)

* Grabs the Tippex... *

yenrod

Buying yourself a pres. @ xmas guarantees happiness !

;)

Speicher said:
Well, that is such a generous offer, I am over-whelmed.

I did not mention the presents I bought myself:ohmy:- very large box of Maltesers, large (ish) box of excellent dark choc brazils, cuddley Reindeer, (found looking bewildered, and lost in the local Oxfam shop). Some very lovely bath foam, shower gel, etc.

A c*r, second-hand, too embarassed on a cycling forum to mention what sort B). *must wrap the key, and put it under the tree for a surprise on Christmas Day*.

SamNichols said:
I'm hardened to it. I planned it well, and did it all today in less than an hour. I don't mind the crowds too much, and don't get irritated by the process of it particularly. It's all in the mind.

Ah! You're giving virtual presents this year. You know, I like that idea - hours of virtual entertainment.

TVC

I sit back and watch smugly at this time of year, I've opted out of christmas for a few years now. Everyone knows not to buy me a present and I don't buy for anyone else.
This might sound like humbug, but if instead of falling for the commercial brainwashing you relax and put your efforts into making real contact with as many of your friends and relations as possible then the whole thing is much more rewarding.
Another response might be that I'm tight, but I do buy gifts for the people around me, at any time of year, when I come across something that I know they will really appreciate. So I don't wait for a predetermined time to buy stuff for people and end up mental choosing bad gifts just because I feel compelled to get them something.

Brock

Very sensible Mr Curtain.

I decided I better go and brave the crowds at the shopping center for a few extra bits today. Traffic was an absolute gridlock nightmare with people desperately driving round and round looking for a space once they eventually got into the car park. Of course, I took the bike with the big panniers and had a very relaxed cruise past it all. Lovely day for it too.
Might go again tomorrow just for the ride :laugh:

SamNichols

I've grown up in a very Evangelical family and my mother is extremely religious, so there's no hope for an opt out. Plus, I like getting presents and I like giving presents.
Today I spent sorting out not my own presents (I did that yesterday), but my sister's present to her boyfriend: it's been a bit of a nightmare. I was probably being very annoying myself by putting my headphones on and listening to Battles very loudly. i found that it blocked out the whole experience nicely (I have very big sennheiser headphones that are also very good as earmuffs). But, still, I will get to play Guitar Hero later.

Top Bottom