the Pembroke coastal path

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Firestorm

Veteran
Not all of it , but does anyone know if you can cycle on it.
Thinking over a late summer break and Pembroke looks good. It won't be a cycling holiday per se but I fancy a bit of a bimble on occasion and there are some nice cottages right on the coastal path.

Ta

D

Deleted member 23692

The off-road section are pretty much all footpath. The is one stretch of bridleway between Stack Rock and St Govan's but I've no idea if it's rideable

Plenty gen here - http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/pembrokeshire-coast-path

Ajax Bay

Guru
You can not, except the very short bits which are forced onto tarmac eg Neyland - Milford, through Dale (the Gan to Dale Fort) in my area of knowledge.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
If you fancy a cycle use the roads, there's some cracking views, some leg burning climbs and it drifts along quite close to the cliffs and the sea and the beaches, however if you want to use the path do what @Smokin Joe said, bring your boots.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
The cottage we fancy is at Abercastle
Lovely. The Sloop in Porthgain for a spot of lunch and a wander over the cliffs to have a look at the Blue Lagoon in Abereiddy. You can look down into the bays and see the seals on the way.
I'd say from there South West to St Davids or North West to Fishguard If you want to get on the edge then it's Shanks' Pony on the Coastal Path. Working South from St Davids the road follows and hugs the coast line quite nicely and from Fishguard heading West towards Newport isn't too shabby either. If you do head in the direction of Newport then a trip through the Gwaun Valley or/and up over the Preselis is worth the trip either by bike or car.
If you'd like some suggestions let me know :okay:

OP
OP
Firestorm

Firestorm

Veteran
Lovely. The Sloop in Porthgain for a spot of lunch and a wander over the cliffs to have a look at the Blue Lagoon in Abereiddy. You can look down into the bays and see the seals on the way.
I'd say from there South West to St Davids or North West to Fishguard If you want to get on the edge then it's Shanks' Pony on the Coastal Path. Working South from St Davids the road follows and hugs the coast line quite nicely and from Fishguard heading West towards Newport isn't too shabby either. If you do head in the direction of Newport then a trip through the Gwaun Valley or/and up over the Preselis is worth the trip either by bike or car.
If you'd like some suggestions let me know :okay:
Thanks that's great, just need to decide if we are actually going / can get the holiday booked at work.

Globalti

Legendary Member
In Pembrokeshire, forget walking or cycling, go rock climbing; Pembroke has some of the best sea cliff climbing in Britain on lovely clean, secure, south-facing limestone. You could wander along the cliff top and ask any climber if you can tie on to their rope or find an outdoor pursuits centre and get a short climbing course.

Ajax Bay

Guru
This is a route I had planned: Amroth to Cardigan round Pembrokeshire coastline. @Smokin Joe hails from the northern part and will know much (much) more.
In Pembrokeshire, forget walking
Though the climbing has a fine reputation, I'm afraid I have to disagree with you Glob (the truncated quote above). Large stretches of the PCP are the match or more for walking/running coast path anywhere on the coastline of Britain. In particular, the Dale and Marloes peninsulas (say Sandy Haven to round as far as Little Haven), the St David's peninsula, and all the way up to Goodwick are superb on foot. Only the best bits of the SW (England) coastal path can compare, and also the south coast of the Gower peninsula (W of Swansea) and the coastline running south from Cape Wrath (NNE Scotland)

Last edited:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
This is a route I had planned: Amroth to Cardigan round Pembrokeshire coastline. @Smokin Joe hails from the northern part and will know much (much) more.

Though the climbing has a fine reputation, I'm afraid I have to disagree with you Glob (the truncated quote above). Large stretches of the PCP are the match or more for walking/running coast path anywhere on the coastline of Britain. In particular, the Dale and Marloes peninsulas (say Sandy Haven to round as far as Little Haven), the St David's peninsula, and all the way up to Goodwick are superb on foot. Only the best bits of the SW (England) coastal path can compare, and also the south coast of the Gower peninsula (W of Swansea) and the coastline running south from Cape Wrath (NNE Scotland)
I'm with Ajay Bay. I think Pembs has some of the best walking/running countryside and cycle friendly (if sometimes leg and lung busting) country lanes in the British Isles.

Top Bottom