The Penalty For Jumping A Red Light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member
I don't want all the rights that drivers have - that would mean I have less than I have now.

Cyclists (and pedestrians, horse riders etc) use the roads by right. Drivers by license.

But back OT - I think greater enforcement is the way ahead. But how to do it? A policeman on foot sees a cyclist RLJ, what does he do? Shout "oi!" and the cyclist buggers off? He can't take his license plate and getting a description and looking them up on CCTV would be far too much hassle for an easily contestable £30 fine.

A bigger problem I think is that a great deal of cyclists think they are ALLOWED to RLJ. If they don't think that, they don't see it as a problem. They don't know about the risks, they don't know or care about the effect it has on perception of cyclists. We need more education first.

I think we're long overdue some public information films for cyclists and for drivers about cyclists. What happened to that 'watch out for cyclists' ad with the bank robbers? Saw that linked to on this forum, but have never seen it on TV.

Davidc

Guru
Wester said:
What is the penalty/fine for going through a red traffic light?

Death if there's something going through the green at the same time

Wester said:
also what are your chances of being caught on CCTV doing the same and being identified ?

Nil - but your DNA should be identifiable if you do get squashed.

I like Vike's suggestions for transgressors though!

allen-uk

Jezston said:
Cyclists (and pedestrians, horse riders etc) use the roads by right. Drivers by license.

That might well be true, in a strictly legal sense, but the reality is that as citizens we accept having our rights and privileges restricted in order to survive! Thus we are all licenced in different ways.

Perhaps what we are talking about is simply law enforcement. If all people (cyclists, drivers, horses, etc) either obeyed the laws or were stopped from breaking them, red-light jumpers (too old to submit to abbreviations) would be cast into the fiery furnace, where they most certainly belong.

Allen.

Top Bottom