The Pennine Bridle Path, newly opened...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

perplexed

Guru
I saw a little feature on Look North last night about this. Martin Clunes was officially opening this yesterday by all accounts.

The idea being that it creates a 200 mile long bridle path from somewhere around the Sheffield area, then heading north. It was stated several times on the piece that it was for walkers, horse riders and cyclists, and was pretty much traffice-free.

Has anyone riden any of it, or know much about it? (Surfaces, etc?)

Just wonderin', sounds an ideal length for a little "tour", through fabulous countryside! :bravo:

Globalti

Legendary Member
There's a loop off it called the Mary Towneley Loop that we Lancashire riders have been enjoying for nearly ten years now. It's about 47 miles, it's possible to do it in one day but it's very tough.

I have tried the bits of the PBW at either end of the MTL and they are also pretty tough.

This website is good on the MTL: http://www.idonohoe.com/mountian_bike9.htm

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
As Globalti has mentioned - it is tough! The website that he linked to (with the annoying spelling mistake in the URL which has never been corrected!) is the one that I always send people to if they want to know more about the MTL part of the PBW.

It definitely isn't anything like the Trans Pennine Trail! Here's a photo that I took of part of the MTL near here when I rode 60% of it with a couple of other CycleChatters ...

steep-push-from-bottomley-pennine-bridleway-mary-towneley-loop.jpg

Anyone for a good walk? :thumbsup:

I saw a little feature on Look North last night about this. Martin Clunes was officially opening this yesterday by all accounts.

The idea being that it creates a 200 mile long bridle path from somewhere around the Sheffield area, then heading north. It was stated several times on the piece that it was for walkers, horse riders and cyclists, and was pretty much traffice-free.

Has anyone riden any of it, or know much about it? (Surfaces, etc?)

Just wonderin', sounds an ideal length for a little "tour", through fabulous countryside! :bravo:

http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/Penninebridleway/index.asp?PageId=1

Seems to be the main site. Looks very nice, certainly one I'd like to do but its definately a MTB trail so thats me out for the time being.:cry:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There's a loop off it called the Mary Towneley Loop that we Lancashire riders have been enjoying for nearly ten years now.
Strictly speaking, the MTL actually forms part of the PBW rather than being a loop off it - it is a loop connecting the north and south parts of the PBW.

If you were doing a ride up or down the length of the PBW, you would opt to ride either the the eastern or western half of the MTL to join up the north and south sections of the PBW.

If anybody is interested in doing a MTL ride - a PBW ranger is leading a group ride a week today, Wed 20 June 2012 - details here. As Globalti and I warned above - it is a tough undertaking so you need to be confident of your fitness and bike handling ability. The ride is supposed to take 9 hours.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I think it took me around 8-9 hours. The first time I did it was on my full rigid Hei Hei and I felt absolutely beaten up at the end, like I'd done a few rounds with Mike Tyson. The second time was with front suspension, which made it a little less tiring. It would be interesting to do it now, back to full rigid, seven or eight years older but much, much fitter.

I've done the bit from Hartington to Hayfield with a tandem and two kids on BSOs, fully laden with camping gear. Some TOUGH hills, and very ROUGH surfaces in parts. I'd happily do it again - brilliant country; but it's not a gentle pootle (or wasn't 4-5 years ago).

OP
OP
perplexed

perplexed

Guru
Thanks all for the replies above, it certainly does look interesting!

I don't have an MTB now, and my cross bike may not be cross enough for that terrain...

I'll have a good look at the site later. Thanks again!

Top Bottom