The Pennine Way

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
The husband is about to walk the Pennine Way north to south to celebrate his 40th birthday....and Arthur and I get to act as Sherpas. Once our Sherpa-ing duties are over each day I'm hoping to get out and do a bit of cycling. Any thoughts on day rides along the route? We'll be stopping at:

Kirk Yetholm, Scotland
Byrness
Bellingham
Greenhead
Alston
Dufton
Middleton in Teesdale
Muker
Horton in Ribblesdale
Thornton in Craven
Hebden Bridge
Crowden
Edale

Unfortunately with the trailer I'm looking at 20 miles per day and as flat as it can be in some hilly areas!!!

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
I don't think that agenda does flat!!!

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Alston is on the C2C route & quite a nice village. I'd recommend the pub at the bottom of the village, cant remember the name off hand, but it did nice food & real ale :wacko:
From Alston you could pick up the C2C route & head up to Hartside & back, I think there will be serious hills involved riding anywhere from Alston :biggrin:

toekneep

Hmm, flat is going to be a problem. We've toured all around those areas and they are anything but flat. Some of the Dales have flatish roads in the bottoms of the valleys but you might struggle to find 20 miles of flat. Are you towing all the gear for the trip on the trailer or do you also have car transport. Ditching the trailer for half a day at a time would be the answer if it's practical.

longers

Legendary Member
You won't get much flatter than the TransPennine Trail near Crowden. It follows the old railway line to the Woodhead Tunnels from Hadfield. It's around 20 miles there and back and lovely along by the reservoirs.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi Cathryn.

You will certainly struggle for flat roads in the Hebden Bridge area (assuming that you will want to avoid the busy A646). Best choices would be the Rochdale canal towpath and Calder Valley Cycleway.

The towpath has a few cobbled overspills and some low bridges to negotiate.

The Cycleway uses parts of the towpath, plus some quiet roads and permissive cycle paths. It has a few metal gates on it to keep motorcyclists off it, but they might also cause problems for a cycle trailer.

RedBike

I miss-read your post. For a moment I thought you were going to ride between stops while your husband walks. I was about to tell you to forget all about trying to follow NCR68 and the Pennine Bridleway.

I don't know about the northen section of your route but towards the southen end you'll have to really pick your routes carefully if you want to avoid hills.

Look for the canals and the dis-used railway lines (ie trans pennine way). These are traffic free and relatively flat.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
From Bellingham you could ride out along the river valley towards Falstone and back... nice enough, if not the best the area has to offer (which involves hills)... but nice enough... not much traffic either. ;)

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Thanks guys. I know my flat request is unlikely but there are some great ideas, thank you all.We'll see what happens. I guess I'll just have to do some hills. I quite fancy the challenge of taking the trailer up Hartside...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Cathryn said:
Thanks guys. I know my flat request is unlikely but there are some great ideas, thank you all.We'll see what happens. I guess I'll just have to do some hills. I quite fancy the challenge of taking the trailer up Hartside...
Ah, if you want a nice 20 mile hilly route round here, I could come up with plenty of suggestions!

Top Bottom