The perfect day for cycling (what could possibly go wrong)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi again.
Today the sun was shining and the roads were nice and dry. Its Sunday and ive got tomorrow off from work.
A perfect day for cycling so i thought. Setting off was a joy to get out into nature on the bike. A good tail wind pushed me along at a good pace and the traffic was virtually none existent. About 20 miles in though, i met the pesky farmer cutting hedges down the lanes and Booby trapping the roads with thorns. Sure enough i got my first flat of the day. I never take a puncture repair kit but only spare tubes. I tend to just repair the tube once I get back to the comforts of home.
Once fixed i got on my way again enjoying the countryside. After a few more miles in, the front tyre started to feel a little strange. Yep once again I'd got another puncture. With a deep sigh i set about changing the tube with my last spare tube. Looking on the bright side at least the front is little easier to do. So for the second time i cocked my leg over the saddle and set off again praying i don't get another puncture as I was now out of tubes.
Everything was great until 30 miles in.
Yes you've guessed it, another puncture again. The puncture fairy had struck again. Miles from home and no one to come and rescue me. By chance there was a petrol station close by and by a miracle they had bicycle puncture repair kits. Repairing the puncture and pulling the dirty thorn out of the tyre soon got me on the way again.
Surely nothing else could go wrong could it?
Wrong!!
The rear derailleur cable snapped, Great just what I wanted. I soldiered on with the limited gears trying to find the positives out of my ride as to when this prat in a DPD van close passed me. I saw red and cursed him for his bad driving. A few miles later I saw him down a small side road and decided to have a word. When I got close, he was now coming towards me. As I waved him down he drove straight at me with no intention of stopping. I quickly stepped to one side of the narrow lane and his van clipped my right arm with his wing mirror (i kid you not)
He just drove off never to be seen again.
After this I was fuming and carried on my way with my disabled bike.
Stopping at a secluded pub that does a great pint soon cooled my head down.
All the best and hope you had a better day than me out cycling today.

Hi again.
Today the sun was shining and the roads were nice and dry. Its Sunday and ive got tomorrow off from work.
A perfect day for cycling so i thought. Setting off was a joy to get out into nature on the bike. A good tail wind pushed me along at a good pace and the traffic was virtually none existent. About 20 miles in though, i met the pesky farmer cutting hedges down the lanes and Booby trapping the roads with thorns. Sure enough i got my first flat of the day. I never take a puncture repair kit but only spare tubes. I tend to just repair the tube once I get back to the comforts of home.
Once fixed i got on my way again enjoying the countryside. After a few more miles in, the front tyre started to feel a little strange. Yep once again I'd got another puncture. With a deep sigh i set about changing the tube with my last spare tube. Looking on the bright side at least the front is little easier to do. So for the second time i cocked my leg over the saddle and set off again praying i don't get another puncture as I was now out of tubes.
Everything was great until 30 miles in.
Yes you've guessed it, another puncture again. The puncture fairy had struck again. Miles from home and no one to come and rescue me. By chance there was a petrol station close by and by a miracle they had bicycle puncture repair kits. Repairing the puncture and pulling the dirty thorn out of the tyre soon got me on the way again.
Surely nothing else could go wrong could it?
Wrong!!
The rear derailleur cable snapped, Great just what I wanted. I soldiered on with the limited gears trying to find the positives out of my ride as to when this prat in a DPD van close passed me. I saw red and cursed him for his bad driving. A few miles later I saw him down a small side road and decided to have a word. When I got close, he was now coming towards me. As I waved him down he drove straight at me with no intention of stopping. I quickly stepped to one side of the narrow lane and his van clipped my right arm with his wing mirror (i kid you not)
He just drove off never to be seen again.
After this I was fuming and carried on my way with my disabled bike.
Stopping at a secluded pub that does a great pint soon cooled my head down.
All the best and hope you had a better day than me out cycling today.

Genuinely not trying to be a smartass but do I recall correctly a recent complaint of overwork and no motivation to get out on the bike?

Half full, half empty? Your call.

DPD driver should be reported.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Sorry to hear about your misfortune on your ride and I would like to offer one tip to you. If I ever see a farmer cutting edges, I always expect the worse so I just step off the bike and carry it until I get to a clear road. Better be safe than sorry.
As far as the driver is concerned,he should be reported. Do you carry a camera with you?

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
I'll take your advice on that. The next time see them hedge cutting I'll avoid it at all costs. As for the camera yes I do have a go pro, but the battery died (sods law).

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Did you get the reg number.

I doubt it.

Enlightenedwaistcoat

Unfortunately i didn't. It happened so quickly
If you can roughly remember the time and the location then try reporting to DPD. Probably useless but worth doing just incase. Wouldn't waste my time with the police - I reported someone with no camera (but had reg plate) and they said they'd log it but couldn't do a thing without footage.

mikeIow

Guru
If you can roughly remember the time and the location then try reporting to DPD. Probably useless but worth doing just incase. Wouldn't waste my time with the police - I reported someone with no camera (but had reg plate) and they said they'd log it but couldn't do a thing without footage.
This is good advice. A lot of companies will take action against their drivers, especially when they should be very easy to find given the time and location. I find Twitter very useful for that kind of thing: it is very visible. Mine are usually to ignorant Uber and Deliveroo cyclists cutting up pedestrians, often when there is a perfectly safe road or even cycle lane they should be on 🙄

Enlightenedwaistcoat

This is good advice. A lot of companies will take action against their drivers, especially when they should be very easy to find given the time and location. I find Twitter very useful for that kind of thing: it is very visible. Mine are usually to ignorant Uber and Deliveroo cyclists cutting up pedestrians, often when there is a perfectly safe road or even cycle lane they should be on 🙄
I was in my car a few weeks ago and was hanging back until it was safe to overtake the cyclist in front. Dude in a liveried van behind took issue with this and not only tailgated me but didn't leave the guy on a bike much room either - continued to tailgate afterwards as well. So I reported him to the company who got back in touch to say they'd be finding out who it was and taking action. Obviously I don't know what they did, that's not my concern - but the more people that flag up dangerous driving, the better in my opinion.

CXRAndy

Guru
Depending on the police farce, they wont do anything even if they do have video footage. It has to be a serious collision for police to glacially move into action.

Top Bottom