The perils of booking Train tickets in advance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I Want to do a circular ride from Lancaster to Morecambe (never been there before) When I checked the long distance forecast on Monday it was So-So. So I booked my advanced ticket and the bike on to the 06:49 train from Carlisle and the 15:14 from Lancaster. Alas the forecast has dramatically changed and it looks like tomorrows ride is going to be very wet and windy and I am wondering if I should shorten it, drop the proposed visit to Sunderland and a full twenty + circle and instead make a quick dash down to Morecambe and back, park the bike in Lancaster station and look round the town? Alas this is always going to be the problem when you have to book rides a week or more in advance to get cheap(ish) fares.

subaqua

What’s the point
1st world problems eh.

Only believe the weather that you experience ;) . Enjoy the tide whatever it ends up as.

I am out on the Thames coxing the RIB ( not a euphemism @Fnaar )

spen666

Legendary Member
I Want to do a circular ride from Lancaster to Morecambe (never been there before) When I checked the long distance forecast on Monday it was So-So. So I booked my advanced ticket and the bike on to the 06:49 train from Carlisle and the 15:14 from Lancaster. Alas the forecast has dramatically changed and it looks like tomorrows ride is going to be very wet and windy and I am wondering if I should shorten it, drop the proposed visit to Sunderland and a full twenty + circle and instead make a quick dash down to Morecambe and back, park the bike in Lancaster station and look round the town? Alas this is always going to be the problem when you have to book rides a week or more in advance to get cheap(ish) fares.
How does a ride from Lancaster to Morecambe involve a visit to Sunderland?

I'm confused

How does a ride from Lancaster to Morecambe involve a visit to Sunderland?

I'm confused
Sunderland at the mouth of the Lune not Wear, just a play on place name's, like visiting places with a family name i.e. Walden.
As far as I know Virgin and Northern rail do not offer refunds on advanced booked tickets (in all honesty, this is one time I agree with the train company's)

That route appears to be £21.70 return as a walk up fare, and in advance at best £7.50 each way (and then at £9 - 13 after best price gone). So for me I'd pay the extra and not risk a drenching. It is different on tours where holibobs need booking weeks in advance and the savings are much bigger than the £7 'penalty' here.

Sandra6

Veteran
Lancaster to Morecambe is half an hour ride at best, hardly seems worth the effort of getting the train in the first place.
Going via the canal path makes it more interesting, but the direct cycleway is fairly uninspiring.
Offer the tickets for sale and ride to dalston and back instead

That route appears to be £21.70 return as a walk up fare, and in advance at best £7.50 each way (and then at £9 - 13 after best price gone). So for me I'd pay the extra and not risk a drenching. It is different on tours where holibobs need booking weeks in advance and the savings are much bigger than the £7 'penalty' here.
You are right, tickets are £5.68 & £5.40. Sensible thing would be to write off the ride but as a stubborn Geordie who is married to an ex farmers daughter I hate the idea of wasting a ticket and thus the fare, so rain, shine or (and) 23 mph winds I will ride down from Lancaster to Morecambe tomorrow. Unless common sense takes charge.:rain:

Sandra6

Veteran
A good portion of the cycleway is tree lined so it might offer some shelter, unless you're going for an on road route, in which case, good luck

Lancaster to Morecambe is half an hour ride at best, hardly seems worth the effort of getting the train in the first place.
Going via the canal path makes it more interesting, but the direct cycleway is fairly uninspiring.
Offer the tickets for sale and ride to dalston and back instead
Route I had planned is 26 miles and is part of the coastal ride that I haven't done. I like the Dalston to Carlisle track and usually get to it via Wetheral

Sandra6

Veteran
I love the ride from dalston to wetheral, but strangely hate it the other way.
We did Lancaster to carnforth by the canal then back through Morecambe along the prom at about 5mph !!! That was on a good day!!!
Remember, no such thing as bad weather ;-)

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
I rarely trust the forecast more than a day or so before, and especially not at this time of year. Some of the best cycling roads/hills near me are definitely not the place to be in poor weather.

Top Bottom