The Perils of Zoom

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Durango Bay

If that video with the cat filter goes properly viral I may get my cat to attend my zoom meetings, it will probably be an improvement to be honest.

Reactions: mjr

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Last summer I was expecting a work call but I had to go to the loo quite urgently. I took my phone onto the loo and was scrolling through ebay or something, just as a colleague phoned me. What with my finger already being on the screen, I answered immediately (by mistake) just as a giant raspberry and then a plop rung out around the bathroom. I'm sure she heard. I was most embarrassed

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Last summer I was expecting a work call but I had to go to the loo quite urgently. I took my phone onto the loo and was scrolling through ebay or something, just as a colleague phoned me. What with my finger already being on the screen, I answered immediately (by mistake) just as a giant raspberry and then a plop rung out around the bathroom. I'm sure she heard. I was most embarrassed

Shades of the late great Leslie Nielsen in the Naked Gun, using the loo while still wearing a live mike....:laugh:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nothing that great, but a colleague said yesterday, 'your clock has stopped' - it's behind me on the wall. Another person has also said 'oh I've got a clock just the same ! It's a bloody cheapo clock for the shed !

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It took me about 30 seconds to spot the huge cock-up she made there... :laugh:
Anyone else think it odd that "zoom" is a camera control that service does not have?

I prefer Jitsi. And I put my hand around the mic when I think I am muted which gets complaints if you are not, offers a safety net and reminds you to unmute before speaking. An old trick from radio when someone else is controlling your mic.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
And I put my hand around the mic when I think I am muted which gets complaints if you are not, offers a safety net and reminds you to unmute before speaking. An old trick from radio when someone else is controlling your mic.
My new Samsung tablet works really well on Zoom but it looks odd in portrait mode so I usually turn it to landscape. Unfortunately, that puts the mic in the exact position that my left thumb tends to go to. I have to keep reminding myself to hold the folded-back case instead.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We generally only get 'half' of Mother in law's face, or not at all.

My wife is known to her new colleagues as the lady with 50 cats, as they are regularly on calls as she's working from our lounge.

I read about a nice one recently; chap needed to get through "the conference room" being used by his wife, so he crawled across the floor below desk height to avoid disturbance.
What actually happened was that everyone saw his bum bobbing along the bottom of the screen for about 30 seconds; which of course created much more hilarity/disruption than if he'd just strolled through without thinking.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Why do so few people think to sit around the edge of the room with their back to the wall, limiting the possibility of embarrassing shoot in the shot background and so anyone needing to get around the room can? It also usually means that the main light fitting is in front of you and you're less likely to be a shady backlit outline. OK, for daytime calls, you may need to be careful the window is in vaguely front of you, but that's not too difficult without showing the whole room as a backdrop.

But I guess it's great entertainment that so many people seem to want to show off their des res and all the things they've forgotten to hide...

OP
OP
SheilaH

SheilaH

Looking forward to seeing a photo of Trump talking to his lawyer

Et4G6iqXEAkW0Zc.jpeg.jpg

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I’m sure your clients would turn a blind eye!

I am of the school of let them naturally hang out if you find it more comfortable or strap them up if you prefer. They are useful tools for childrearing in the main but just happen to have a sideline benefit for women in the bedroom if approached between lovers correctly😜 as I don’t find a topless girls particularly attractive. I’m a curled hair kind of guy.

Well sports bras are a marvellous thing, in this sort of situation.

It's more trying to communicate with the class whilst ones face has been eaten by ones t-shirt.

But it's a salutary reminder to them, to tuck in, so its all good learning I guess.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Why do so few people think to sit around the edge of the room with their back to the wall, limiting the possibility of embarrassing shoot in the shot background and so anyone needing to get around the room can? It also usually means that the main light fitting is in front of you and you're less likely to be a shady backlit outline. OK, for daytime calls, you may need to be careful the window is in vaguely front of you, but that's not too difficult without showing the whole room as a backdrop.

But I guess it's great entertainment that so many people seem to want to show off their des res and all the things they've forgotten to hide...
A lot have no clue about basic photography & insist on having their back to a brightly lit window. I sometimes find myself talking to a silhouette:okay:.BTW, one of our 'local-ish' book shops, the excellent Book Barn (nirvana for second hand bookworms) seen a boom in books as people scrabble to beef up their bookshelves for zoom/team calls:okay:. On C4 news, old hippy Peter Snow appears to be a Pink Floyd fan.

• Laugh
Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom