The personal cost of the lock down

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A friend of mine from at work who was considering retiring soon due to bad health looked at one of his pensions ( his current work pension same as mine) a few days ago and dolefully told me it had already lost 25% so hopefully it will pick up after the outbreak is a memory.
Day to day I am better off as WFH not paying for lunches at work and diesel to get my car to my half way point ( cycle the 2nd half) .
I still have on my credit cards, a May holiday that will probably not happen, carpets they wont deliver, a dining room table and chairs, and sofa's also they wont deliver. Who concert put back a year and McFly tickets put back months but ticketmaster have it sown up legally that they will now have kept my money for around 1.5 years by the time the concerts happen.
My Sister and brother in Law are now making money out of it , he is stuck on a core drill rig in the sea off Scotland, they cant get people to replace them or fly people out etc so he is on permanent time and a half , though he would rather come home .

Drago

Legendary Member
I've got Jethro Tull tickets for October. I'm hoping it's far enough away that it'll still go ahead, but I always pay for stuff like this on my credit card just in case something unforseen crops up.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
We are spending more on food shopping as in lockdown so can't get food from the likes of Aldi , b + m etc etc as we are relying on Tesco deliveries .
At some point I shall drop on to the 80% government pay .
But we are well off with no worries as we have each other and our families ^_^

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'm working from home and SWMBO is at work (NHS) so no change there. Commuting was by bike so there's only my lunch cost to consider. My 15yo's at home but again went to school by bike.

No race entry / transport fees, which adds up. Although we've spent the ferry cost for one cancelled international race on a smart turbo and I've bought webcams for me / my son at university. Some other expenditure on headsets, etc. to work from home as I couldn't get items before the lockdown due to being at home already ill.

We're spending more on food and I'm having to search for items wider as the shops here are quite empty. However, I'm using small stores rather than supermarkets as they're quieter - so I'd perceive less overall risk.

Basically for us no real change except no travelling, which saves a bit.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I'm currently saving about £100 a week from the enforced closure of pubs - no fuel costs, pub beer or pub meals. :sad:
I'm also saving about £100 a week on caravan site fees, as we are usually away pretty much all the time at this time of year and through the summer.
I'm gonna have one hell of a blow out when this is over!

Levo-Lon

Guru
I'm currently saving about £100 a week from the enforced closure of pubs - no fuel costs, pub beer or pub meals. :sad:
I'm also saving about £100 a week on caravan site fees, as we are usually away pretty much all the time at this time of year and through the summer.
I'm gonna have one hell of a blow out when this is over!

I put a map of the world on the wall yesterday, gave the good lady a dart and said wherever that lands we shall have a holiday next yr...

We're holidaying at the back of the fridge😆

contadino

Veteran
It's swings and roundabouts for me. Where I'd just be starting the year with a few overnight tours and building up to the north coast 500, I'm now stuck in the garden buying plants online. On a day-to-day basis I work at home anyway.

My employer has furloughed all 200-odd staff except a handful including me so even if I could disappear off for a few weeks, I'd feel obliged not to.

Long term, this virus followed by a no deal Brexit is going to make us all much poorer. We're all going to have to pay for the state handouts at some point.

Milzy

Guru
Will be thousands down but I volunteered. I expected 8 weeks off. Now it could go on until September. :O

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
My food bill is greatly reduced as my twin grandsons can't pay us a visit and eat us out of house and home.

Apart from that our spending is about the same. People always ( well almost always) manage to live within their means especially when they retire. Luckily for us I had been looking at all our outgoings and over the last 18 month's have managed to save us £2000 by changing electricity, broadband, house insurance and sky subscriptions so we are in a win win situation at the moment.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
OK here, will probably notice during April as March was a bit spendy (new washer, new TV for caravan - wife broke it).

Food shops have been a bit expensive as it's get what we can. I'm lucky for next few months as I am getting paid, and 3 of us are still working from home. My wife is on a contract until August, so if things don't change, she will be out of work.

Fuel is going to go to about zero. Usually spend £40 a week, minimum, more with going to the caravan (which is shut).

My SIL/BIL are going to struggle as they have a small business (electrical shop) so won't have anything coming in, and he is high risk (dicky ticker).

Dave7

Legendary Member
Good question.
We are both retired. I am on full state pension, MrsD gets (i think) 80%.
We used to go for meals or takeaway maybe once a week so thats gone.
I assume we will get our £2K back from Jet2 for our May holiday so that will help.
Our normal expenditures of gas, leccy etc wont change.
I am about to drop my Virgin package down to the basic, as there is no sport, so that will save us a lump.
I have though spent a lot on ear plugs so I dont have to listen to MrsD all day (only joking, honest I am :rolleyes:)

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Good question.
We are both retired. I am on full state pension, MrsD gets (i think) 80%.
We used to go for meals or takeaway maybe once a week so thats gone.
I assume we will get our £2K back from Jet2 for our May holiday so that will help.
Our normal expenditures of gas, leccy etc wont change.
I am about to drop my Virgin package down to the basic, as there is no sport, so that will save us a lump.
I have though spent a lot on ear plugs so I dont have to listen to MrsD all day (only joking, honest I am :rolleyes:)

Thats not what you said to me yesterday. :whistle:

Top Bottom