The personal cost of the lock down

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Thats not what you said to me yesterday. :whistle:
What wasn't?
Dont you dare tell my sweet darling cute lovely wifey what I said:blink:

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
going to the caravan (which is shut).

Same with mine.

I was wondering about the impact of that on overall outgoings.

I've paid the rent for this year, but they are not fulfilling their part of the bargain - providing me site access to my static.

Seems to me if this goes on for very long I should be entitled to a refund or pro rata discount off next year's rent.

I very much doubt the site owner will be attracted to either option, so that may lead to a dispute in future.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I am saving about 50% of my normal outgoings, not going to the pub a couple of times a week is saving a lot. Lunch out with MrsP is obviously on hold. When shopping, we are just getting the essentials that we need at the time, no impulse buying.

MarkF

Guru
MrsF & I are both key workers, she is working from home but I cannot. In normal times, we'd go crackers in Leeds from noon till night each Saturday. Now we are just going for walks and saving probably £150- £200 a weekend. I definitely preferred the former.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I hate to sound miserable but I got some practice at this in late 2018 after the collar bone break when I had three miserable months on non-union, stuck at home worrying about losing fitness. At least this time around I can get out on the bike - just had a rather chilly ride out this morning before settling down with the laptop.

Kryton521

Über Member
I was lucky. Long time unemployed since 2015. Ill health reasons, and then no one wanting to "give me a go!"
Just before the "lockdown" started I got a new job, home delivery for a well known catalogue store. We're still working and truing to limit the face to face with customers. So I'm sorry to say, I'm now better off than I was on the horrible and totally rotten UC. Having to rely on family to support me and bridge the gap between what I got from UC. Sadly the "Community shop" has had to close for lack of donations and C19.
I just hope we all get through this.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Same with mine.

I was wondering about the impact of that on overall outgoings.

I've paid the rent for this year, but they are not fulfilling their part of the bargain - providing me site access to my static.

Seems to me if this goes on for very long I should be entitled to a refund or pro rata discount off next year's rent.

I very much doubt the site owner will be attracted to either option, so that may lead to a dispute in future.

I know the site is on skeleton staffing and the sales manager is working from home, so those that are employed are getting paid. I think there will be backlash from owners if some sort of 'compromise' isn't forthcoming. i.e. we can't expect them not to be able to retain some of the rent, but there needs to be something fair. The owner has got to pay for his brand new Range Rover and Porsche !

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I know the site is on skeleton staffing and the sales manager is working from home, so those that are employed are getting paid. I think there will be backlash from owners if some sort of 'compromise' isn't forthcoming. i.e. we can't expect them not to be able to retain some of the rent, but there needs to be something fair. The owner has got to pay for his brand new Range Rover and Porsche !

Similar to what is happening and what I expect to happen with my site.

Ultimately, the site owner has got you by the short and curlies, and they know it.

When my older brother was assisting me with the purchase of the van, he commented we'd have more rights buying a £250 quid washing machine from Currys.

screenman

Legendary Member
Just had one of my car dealer customers who has an open ended account with me, basically I do work for them for a few months then they suggest I should give them an invoice, well they have just sent a text asking if I would like paying. cracking guys who deserve to do well in life.

Smudge

Veteran
None of the usual spending on beer, petrol, buying whatever i want at the supermarket, going to the pub, or eating out. Not buying hardly anything online either, especially from China, as delivery could be affected.
Savings are going up instead of down.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Both my wife and I are on full state pension and I also get a small private pension so all normal bills are covered. Saving on petrol/diesel too as we can't go out and I should be getting 80% of my supply work next month as well . Apart from buying a few tins of paint for the garden, less expenses, so financially no worse off.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Apart from a clout of a handful of thousands to the small part of our reserves that is exposed to stock market vagaries the only discernible difference is that our Pub spending has nose-dived.

We're a pretty much self-contained social unit too which means that being cooped up together is more of a pleasure than a hardship - on Saturday we converted the front end of our lounge, that is 'up in the air' with great views, into a 'bedroom' and literally stayed in bed all day yesterday which was proper romantic. :smooch:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Mrs CK is a shop assistant so she is working , i cant work from home so i am at home and its costing me more as the kids are off so they are eating us out of house and home.Not safing any money travel or expenses wise as i cycle commute and take my own snack and coffee i take my own jar in too.
Work sent us home on full pay less overtime( fair enough ) a week and a half ago with this months paycheck based on a month in hands overtime so im ok for this month.
This week is banked hours = owe them when we do overtime and next week is compulsory holidy which isnt too bad as i had it booked off anyway.
Moving forward after that we have no idea i know the80 % of pay is around but the company seems to think banked shifts is the way to go but how long?
With borders closed and working restrictions we cannot get parts as a just in time business we basically only carry a few hours worth of parts in a lot of areas from suppliers so if no one is working we are stuck.
Cancelled holiday this year and transferred it till next year , taken house off the market as even if we could sell i doubt the bank would lend us any money .
When we make it through all this i think it will be pretty bleak assuming i still have a job buying a car i doubt will be top of peoples priorities .

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I work from home but alas i have a couple of weeks backlog to catch up on then after that im done. Im not really making money as i have few customers and it is not really responsible using the courier network in this country at the moment for anything other than essentials...

Top Bottom