The plane enthusiasts thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Oooops, autocorrect :smile:. I used to fly my model planes at Beverley Westwood back in the 70's and my Uncle built Buccaneers in Brough :smile:

Shaun

I saw the sole surviving Beverley in Beverley at the Museum of Army Transport and was concerned for its welfare when the museum closed. It's now at Fort Paull near Hull

http://www.beverley-association.org.uk/html/259/259.htm

I saw the sole surviving Beverley in Beverley at the Museum of Army Transport and was concerned for its welfare when the museum closed. It's now at Fort Paull near Hull

http://www.beverley-association.org.uk/html/259/259.htm

I saw a Beverely at the RAF Museum at Hendon in the 70's. They left it outside for too long and finally scrapped due to corrosion.
I used to see at times lumbering overhead on their way into RAF Lyneham. It was also one of the planes I can remember from my first visit to an airshow, 1958 Battle of Britain air day. It was whilst at that show that my older brother said. " The Vulcan won't be turning up it has just crashed."
I think it must have been Syerston.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I was at Shuttleworth for the Vulcans last display. The howl as it passed overhead would put the fear of God up you!
The Black Buck raids might not have achieved much in terms of craters and damage, but they did send one powerful message :-
We. Are. Coming.:gun:

I took my dad to Shuttle worth in 1980ish, one of the planes to do a display was an RAF Jaguar single seater. I don't think I have seen a jet perform like it since, it was doing low slow fly bys keeping within the perimeter of the airfield by what appeared to be hand brake turns. Those were the days when they didn't have all the flying restrictions.

Glenn

Veteran
The best Maritime Patrol aircraft of it's time, I spent 12 happy years from 84 - 96 maintaining the fleets navigation and auto-pilot systems

3963057896_2fd4d425b9.jpg

Attachments

• 3963057896_2fd4d425b9.jpg
    3963057896_2fd4d425b9.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 66
There is a bit of a story to this one.
B36 004.JPG

In 1953 one crashed on a hill near Chippenham. The story was kept a secret for 50 years although the locals knew about it. My dad and brother
went to see the crash site but were kept away by armed guards.
The story came out in the local paper in 2003 saying that the crew had difficulty trying to land and after 2 failed attempts bailed out leaving the plane to fly on auto pilot.
My dad told me that he heard the plane circling sounding rough as he cycled to work. That was similar to what I was told when I was working in Calne another town 7 miles away.
The model was made from a piece of dowel to represent a Convair B36 Peacemaker. 6 piston engines driving pusher propellers and 4 jet engines.

More seriously, is it the atomic powered plane maybe?

I think there was talk of powering either the Saunders Roe Princess flying boat or a variant of it with a nuclear engine of some kind.
In 1955 Saunders_ Roe put forward a conversion proposal of the Princess Flying Boat to nuclear power for the US Navy.
The Saunders_ Roe Princess Flying Boat Project. By Bob Wealthy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom