The plot thickens

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
It's more serious than that, he's assembling a crack PR team.

EPO and blood doping I'd heard but crack!

The man's a menace.

yello

It's more serious than that, he's assembling a crack PR team.

The dream team, Mark Fabiani. As employed by many a politician, including Bill Clinton to help him get out of the 'mess on a dress-gate'. Ah yes, a bj is not "sexual relations".... I look forward to EPO not being dope.

That said, his first salvo into the PR war was not very original really... 'Landis is not a credible witness'. I think we all have that reservation. Then came the normal Armstrong-like deflection/distraction comment 'salmonella in the US, recall of 380 million eggs, why are the FDA wasting money looking into a bike race that happened years ago'.... ah yes, move along now, nothing to see. But I appreciate his difficulty when he doesn't really know what to respond to; they only have Landis's now public allegations. What else is there? Who else has the FDA spoken to? And what have they said? If they 'respond' too much in advance, they actually draw attention and become in danger of 'protesting too much' and people start asking what there is to be afraid of.

So I find it interesting that Armstrong feels the needs to pay someone big money to respond at all, ahead of any formal FDA charges or allegations. As I've said before, the FDA are not looking specifically at him, not officially at any rate. They are keeping quiet, and that must be unnerving (understandably) for everyone that was involved in the running of USPS. It must be getting warm in Texas.

raindog

er.....
Hey yello, we've had a major software glitch over on FF and the whole cycling section has been lost! :biggrin:
We could sure use some help getting it built up again.

(sorry about the drift there - carry on!)

yello

It's not and I'm not suggesting it is. I think it's purely PR at this point, image protection.

Clearly Armstrong feels the need to be expertly responding to whatever twists and turns the investigation takes before any charges have been made. He has said, and rightly so, that he is available to speak to the investigators as and when. I can understand the need for council then but, until that time, there's nothing else he needs do... nothing he can do. Expert perhaps get public opinion on his side... because he has reason to fear it's going to get dented?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
to be fair to Armstrong, anything that comes out of any investigation in to cycling is going to be so haphazard and politicised, that, even if he was as pure as driven snow he'd be well advised to do what he's doing.

I'm just wondering, in all honesty, whether any of us believe that we are, one day, going to read The Truth?

to be fair to Armstrong, anything that comes out of any investigation in to cycling is going to be so haphazard and politicised, that, even if he was as pure as driven snow he'd be well advised to do what he's doing.

I'm just wondering, in all honesty, whether any of us believe that we are, one day, going to read The Truth?

Only if Tom Bowyer, or a journalist of similar skill and persistence, gets on the case.

Stange

Only if Tom Bowyer, or a journalist of similar skill and persistence, gets on the case.

doesn't David Walsh count?

Really like Tom Bower, his Branson book is excellent.

yello

Remember, whilst the big name is Armstrong, the investigation is broader than just one man. There are people who already know the truth, and a great many more suspect it. This investigation could show the rest of the world. Personally, I'm hopeful.

If the investigation does show that doping was systematic within teams then that's got to be a good thing, no? I just hope it's not all dismissed as something that happened 'back then'. There are already many people (like the aforementioned Fabiani) trying to spin it like that. Things may have moved on but I don't think they've changed completely. Yesterday's bright new dawn?... well, someone forgot to set the alarm clock.

Delzeg is right in many ways. It is the way of the world; court cases are fought in papers, chat shows, phone ins, blogs, forums, etc etc etc these days. It's naive to think public opinion isn't part of it. The reason for my commenting is that I think Armstrong doesn't view this as 'ssdd'. This one's hotter than that.

Lord, I love this though. The wait, the silence. Impending.... what?

Top Bottom