The Polo Lounge on the roof of The Dorchester.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I don't normally read The Guardian at any length but this review of the 'pop up' restaurant in Park Lane's Dorchester is just so funny I had to share it.
I guess many of us may never even consider going there and might regard it as a bit of a treat if we did. Don’t worry it seems we’re not missing much.
Never heard of Jay Rayner before but he's got a certain barbed wit which is right on target:
https://www.theguardian.com/food/20...-food-at-eye-popping-prices-restaurant-review

Last edited:
Never heard of Jay Rayner before but he's got a certain barbed wit which is right on target:
https://www.theguardian.com/food/20...-food-at-eye-popping-prices-restaurant-review

I like Jay Rayner (son of the late Clare Rayner, nurse, prolific writer and - eventually - agony aunt extraordinaire). He hosts 'The Kitchen Cabinet' on Radio 4 - it's a sort of cookery panel show which is both entertaining and educational and one of my favourites.

I can assure the man in the street that he is not missing much by not patronising some of these places. Due to nature work had the opportunity to dine in these locations. The 4 most obvious and common features are decor, excellent service, exceptionally large and expensive tableware and the price.

Food however can be very good to mediocre but seldom are they priced for value. The price is to cover exclusiveness. Michelin Stars however is a good guide if you can get a reservation.

I like Jay Rayner (son of the late Clare Rayner, nurse, prolific writer and - eventually - agony aunt extraordinaire). He hosts 'The Kitchen Cabinet' on Radio 4 - it's a sort of cookery panel show which is both entertaining and educational and one of my favourites.
I didn't realize who his mum is but it's obvious now you say it !

i used to go to a fair few press conferences/jollies at the dorchester.
I well remember one of the spoilt journos complaining that they didn't have his favoured whisky - at least not for free.
Ate some decent food but wouldn't spend my own money on it.
If folk are loaded, it may be a diversion.
Otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Jay has a brother called Adam who used regularly to be wheeled out (probably, although he might just have been capable of waddling under his own steam) as a a cyclist-hating "motoring correspondent" on BBC1's Breakfast program. I haven't seen him recently, possibly because I tend to listen to R4 in the morning. The last time I saw him he was sitting on the sofa with his enormous overhanging gut almost touching the floor; a revolting sight when one is cradling a bowl of porridge. He now seems to spend much of his time lavishing praise on eye-wateringly expensive bits of hi-fi equipment. Jay doesn't often mention him...

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Jay Rayner is a foodie deity. That he’s a jazzman as well emphasises his all-round fabness.
We’re not worthy....

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I don't normally read The Guardian at any length but this review of the 'pop up' restaurant in Park Lane's Dorchester is just so funny I had to share it.
I guess many of us may never even consider going there and might regard it as a bit of a treat if we did. Don’t worry it seems we’re not missing much.
Yep read it the other day, it seems Loction, Location, Location ain't enough :laugh:

I tried to book the Dorchester 3* restaurant for me and Madame Le Fondo prior to covid, but the snooty person on the phone sniffily said they didn't have anything that month ...... £50 per glass of wine, gulp :wacko:
1629282216912.png
1629282869852.png

I tried to book the Dorchester 3* restaurant for me and Madame Le Fondo prior to covid, but the snooty person on the phone sniffily said they didn't have anything that month ...... £50 per glass of wine, gulp :wacko:
View attachment 604844 View attachment 604847
Am afraid
I lost interest at the "Torteau du dorset"
as I believe they don't say down dorset way.

Pointless and clearly poncy use of french should be a criminal offence, ditto with cycling.

Top Bottom